The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

This popped up on the Thunderbird facebook page and had to share it.

attachicon.gif600px-Eerie-eric-iron-lung-bubbletop6.jpg

More information can be found here.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Eric_Goodrich%27s_Iron_Lung

I think it looks great but already there is a comment about a Thunderbird had to die to build it. Which isn't exactly true as all he used were a few body panels and there is very little Thunderbird in it. Whatever you do don't look at the front end as you will need eye bleach, from every other angle though it's pretty good.

I hope the ventilation's alright. Can't be much fun driving half a goldfish bowl in full sun / heat.

The Passat has been throwing up a manifold pressure sensor code which sends it into limp mode, it can be caused by sticky turbo vanes so out with the Mr. Muscle!

b1534164dd66ee32c6f2d886806dc66c.jpg

fa72c767984cb0dec928e72219e6b0b0.jpg

Ah, bollocks. There's enough of a stud left to grip with the molegrips, fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Have you driven a montego Vulg? I know you had a maestro but they are a lot more refined.

You could practise your welding too, nothing dissolves faster than a Montego except a Rover 213.....

...or a sierror or an escrote or a chavalier

I am sitting in a Mercedes main garage. I was passing and pulled in on a whim to get a price for the couple of jobs that need doing. Place your bets now for how much I'm about to be bum-raped...

• Like 2

My 9-5 has had a dead alarm battery since I got it, which means that it randomly goes off when locked off the fob. Solution - lock off the key. Job done.

Disconnect the siren. You'll get a warning message on the SID, but that's better than the alarm keep going off.

Borat went into workshop for new front wheel bearing, so I'm slumming it on the London Underground for today.

UPDATE: needs a steering arm bush as well. Never mind, cheap enough, do it.

The Passat has been throwing up a manifold pressure sensor code which sends it into limp mode, it can be caused by sticky turbo vanes so out with the Mr. Muscle!

Good luck with the stud.

Notice you've got a blank, have you tried the EGR 'race' tube and vacuum system simplification?  Definite placebo horsepower to be gained.  The vacuum system mod is free!

The EGR blanking kit is just a couple of plates blocking manifolds where the EGR valve was attached, installed by a previous owner, no 'race pipe' here.

I've gone through the vacuum system and replaced old hoses but I'm not totally sure what I can delete and what can stay.

The stud is stuck fast and I can't get purchase on it with my mole grips.

Could this work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112v

Remember this?

post-3318-0-81381900-1542806465_thumb.jpg

Managed to replace the rear lights which are made from Unicorn blood, paint the front bumper and give it a wash then advertise it. Tried car and classic for a week and had absolutely no one biting at all. Then popped it on ebay as a classified ad and the inbox was HOT. A chap from Devon bought it straight away unseen and collected it within a couple of days. Even after I had ended the listing I still got people messaging me to see if it was actually sold. They don't all end as good as that obviously but just shows you that there is still interest in the rare and quirky.

Remember this?

attachicon.gifIMG_20181105_144632035.jpg

Managed to replace the rear lights which are made from Unicorn blood, paint the front bumper and give it a wash then advertise it. Tried car and classic for a week and had absolutely no one biting at all. Then popped it on ebay as a classified ad and the inbox was HOT. A chap from Devon bought it straight away unseen and collected it within a couple of days. Even after I had ended the listing I still got people messaging me to see if it was actually sold. They don't all end as good as that obviously but just shows you that there is still interest in the rare and quirky.

As long as you managed to sell it for more* than you paid for it.....

Also, the SVX isn't quick, but it can use what it has in mostly shite weather, despite it being hilariously rearward biased in the snow.

I do recall my SVX being somewhat tail-happy when I drove it in the snow.  Not ideal in a great big wide barge on a narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides.

I have a vague memory that there's a fuse you can pull out which locks the centre diff, which may help.

The EGR blanking kit is just a couple of plates blocking manifolds where the EGR valve was attached, installed by a previous owner, no 'race pipe' here.

I've gone through the vacuum system and replaced old hoses but I'm not totally sure what I can delete and what can stay.

Could this work?

Access round there for drilling etc is shocking though. I'd have thought welding a bolt onto what's left might be easier*. Reportedly those easy-outs are shit too. How about the locking wheel nut remover type tools that grip on the OD and have a reverse thread? Need one in about 10mm flavour though.

b7e6d47d864dd21713d80740c5ba15b8.jpg

Could this work?

There's no need to fuck around with blanking plates/egr removal. Just block the vac pipe that goes to the egr valve, job jobbed! I just cut the head off a 6mm bolt, cut the vac pipe, then joined the vac pipe back together with the shank off the 6mm bolt. egr valve now permanently closed.

Sticky parking brake is fixed, and they did a free "visual health check" for me. It's a fair list including several bushes, a pair of brake discs and a pair of tyres and the price they quoted is laughably enormous.

I'll put a proper update in my chod thread once my local garage have got back to me with a quote for the same work.

As an example Mercedes wanted £336 for a pair of Continentals and my local place can do them for about £250. If they can reduce the rest of it by that percentage I'll be happy.

Access round there for drilling etc is shocking though. I'd have thought welding a bolt onto what's left might be easier*. Reportedly those easy-outs are shit too. How about the locking wheel nut remover type tools that grip on the OD and have a reverse thread? Need one in about 10mm flavour though.

b7e6d47d864dd21713d80740c5ba15b8.jpg

Access is a lot easier with a longitudinal engine, I can't see a problem getting a drill in about the stud.

I put it all back together, of course it's leaking exhaust gases and making chuffing noises from the blanking plate due to the broken stud but it seems to go well and it hasn't thrown up any error codes.

Done 500 miles in the Saab since Saturday morning, back and forward to Kent for family and funny handshake stuff. I still have 1/3 tank of diesel left and according to the SID computermabob, still have 230miles range left and averaged 59.2mpg. I'll settle with that for a 202k miles diesel that is essentially fucked.

• Like 6

Bit f**ked off with the fleet at the minute.

Obviously the Merc needs the timing chain replaced. Picked up a second Roomster to do me in the meantime.

But when the car you've bought to keep you mobile starts needing attention as well it's easy to get fed up.

The front passenger door lock has gone all VAG - it won't unlock. I've pulled as much of the door card back as I can with the door closed, and can see the handles are doing what they are supposed to do. I suspect the deadlock bit of the lock isn't disengaging, and short of smashing the lock off from inside the door there's not much else I can think of.

On top of that the front drop links have decided to start doing "skeleton wanking in a biscuit tin" impressions, and the front electric windows don't work.

The other Roomster tried to set itself on fire in the midst of all that, the wiring to the boot lid had become damaged at some point, and a previous owner had replaced a damaged section with some wire that was far thinner than it should have been so was doing its best impression of a fuse. There were other wires just twisted together and some floating loose. Fixed all that and the rear wiper now works (it never did before)

Why go to the bother of stripping everything just to do a half arsed bodge job????

I'm fed up if I'm honest, the Kawasaki needs money spent on it, the honda vision I picked up needs more work than I thought and my project CB200 hasn't progressed at all.

I long for the day I reach automotive nirvana and everything just works at the same time.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

That's bloody annoying. Seems like you handled it well!

He's obviously late with his PCP payments #genericAScomment

Believe it or not I had another problematic Audi driver on the way back A1 north bound later on. This time the joke was that the roads were quite busy, everyone in the fast lane was overtaking truck after truck after truck in the fast lane and the Audi tried to undertake me 4-5 times by running right up to the back of a lorry in the slow lane then realising there is no space to squeeze a car between me and the car ahead. I cannot fathom what goes through the mind of some drivers. It was like watchigh the automotive equivalent of a dog chasing its own tale.