The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

MAXI !

Great video Ian, but then maybe I'm biased.

A few observations from it's longer term use:

It's actually not an Austin, although everyone knows them as such.

This one was built in late 1977, the year during which they were officially rebranded as "Leyland".

There is no mention anywhere on the car or the paperwork of "Austin" and the V5 gives the manufacturer as "Leyland Cars". As you rightly say it is one of the last hydrolastic suspension examples, the hydragas being introduced in very late 1977/early 1978 I believe.

It was not registered until March 1978, so obviously hung around awhile before being sold.

In fact, with the aid of a copy of "Glass's Car Check Book 1969 - 1978" purchased from fleabay, I have just successfully managed to convince the DVLA that it was actually made in 1977 and it is now tax and MoT exempt a year early, saving me about £250. Result !

As you say, they were not particularly popular at the time, but from the aforementioned guide, which lists chassis numbers and years of manufacture, I was surprised to find that about 40,000 were sold in 1977 alone, and that does not include the twin-carb HL model.

I think their unpopularity may have been partly due to the styling, but also due to the general public being frightened by their radical (for the time) design: first British 5-door hatchback, first British car with a true 5-speed gearbox (as opposed to four plus overdrive), transverse engine, front-wheel drive.

I suspect that it should have replaced the Marina, but the conservative British car buyers still trusted conventional leaf-spring and torsion-bar sprung, in-line engined, rear-wheel drive cars.

The "mystery switch" on the under-dash panel is a standard fit. This was one of the first Maxis with dual-circuit brakes, so the light in the switch is a brake failure warning light and the switch it is built into is a momentary rocker switch which allows you to perform a bulb test. High tech or what !

The rear seat belts are an aftermarket fit though.

The heater is actually quite effective, the blower not so much.

I have not had any problems with the ground clearance. I don't think it's actually as bad as it looks, although the one I owned 40 years ago and used as a stage rally service barge on rough roads was fitted with a proper British Leyland Special Tuning sump guard, which was available off the shelf from BL dealers back then for about £40. Sadly unobtainium now (unless anyone on here knows otherwise).

I agree that the engine is quite raucous when revved hard, but you don't need to rev it (hooligan !). It's certainly not a sporty car, but will pull happily from 25 to 75mph in fifth gear so you can use the torque not the revs.

Most of the noise is indeed caused by the fixed mechanical fan and I did consider trying to fit a front-mounted radiator and an electric fan, but the standard layout seems to cope OK, even at a steady 70mph in the recent 30C heat.

One thing which does surprise me is the external versus the internal size. As you said, there is masses of room inside but externally it is actually shorter, narrower and lower than the latest Ford Fiesta, which today is considered a small car. When it is parked in a car park these days it is really difficult to find.

Great to see so many, mostly positive, comments on YooToob already.

Looking forward to more vids.

You'll have to reshoot it now Ian!

I have just seen a 2012 vauxhall insignia estate for sale in Facebook with 12 monthso mot. £1250..Are these worth so little already..

Car swap shop or for sale in the North East no parts just vehicles.

Grey insignia estate 12 months MOT good condition

£1250 o.v.n.o

Been having a rough few months with my relationship and other assorted issues but have managed to pull myself together enough to help my old man get this old thing ready. Since turning 25 last month I found that being a named driver on his classic insurance policy loads the premium by exactly five pounds. Winner! It's rough around the edges, but that's the way we like em. Nearly done now, going in for a new gearbox on Monday and then have some BFO Cooper tyres to finish it off. Probably gonna piss down for the rest of the summer now but at least I'll be able to hear that wonderful V8 burble.

post-19533-0-05121700-1532713437_thumb.jpg

Been having a rough few months with my relationship and other assorted issues but have managed to pull myself together enough to help my old man get this old thing ready. Since turning 25 last month I found that being a named driver on his classic insurance policy loads the premium by exactly five pounds. Winner! It's rough around the edges, but that's the way we like em. Nearly done now, going in for a new gearbox on Monday and then have some BFO Cooper tyres to finish it off. Probably gonna piss down for the rest of the summer now but at least I'll be able to hear that wonderful V8 burble.

Keep on trucking, champ. You’ll probably find the last sentence helps you with the first.

This afternoon I was too hot so I slung my canoe in the back of the Morris and went for a paddle on the 40 foot drain which is just near me. I fell on attempting to get out of the water and drove home soaking wet. The sky suddenly went so dark that the outside light came on (see windscreen reflection) and it pissed down. We're off to Essex tomorrow so given the poor windows seals I expect to have a wet arse for the entire weekend.

post-7547-0-35955200-1532721581_thumb.jpg

Sold my Range Rover-nearly 12 years of excellent service-only two FTP's in 12 years - one under the carport and the other had to be recovered-both in the last year. Would have kept it-but have bought a campervan and sold the caravan-so no need for it. Royale and senator performing daily duties.

H8OFJJT.jpg

ZolF61l.jpg

Steve

Was investigating a rubbing noise on the rear of the wife's qashqai.

Turned out to be a rubbing splash guard so easily fixed......bigger issue I noticed was the big rusty hole in the side of the trailing arm on that side.

Had a look online and the cheapest pattern swinging arms are £300!!!!!

I haven't looked to see if the other side needs done too.....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Was investigating a rubbing noise on the rear of the wife's qashqai.

Turned out to be a rubbing splash guard so easily fixed......bigger issue I noticed was the big rusty hole in the side of the trailing arm on that side.

Had a look online and the cheapest pattern swinging arms are £300!!!!!

I haven't looked to see if the other side needs done too.....

Top tip - replace it with a length of 4x2 from local timber merchants, make a saving.

In all seriousness, what is the anti perforation warranty? On some Nissans I think it's 12 years.

Top tip - replace it with a length of 4x2 from local timber merchants, make a saving.

In all seriousness, what is the anti perforation warranty? On some Nissans I think it's 12 years.

If they are anything like Alfa Romeo they will say that it isn't covered  by the anti perf warrenty. I had an Alfa 159 with a rotten front subframe but as it is a bolt on component they said it wasn't covered. No surprise it rotted out really as the new one barely had any paint on it and no anti rust treatment at all.

I had mentioned on here that I was going to move on the ex Vantman Saab 900 which has been my daily for the past couple of months. 

Replacement daily comes courtesy of Bramz.

post-4930-0-72787100-1532783612_thumb.jpg

He was coming down to Devon to collect another vehicle so we hatched a plan for him to deliver and I then delivered him to his new purchase.

It seems to drive very well, but the test is short so we'll have to see how that goes!

Oh, and Saab still available.

If they are anything like Alfa Romeo they will say that it isn't covered by the anti perf warrenty. I had an Alfa 159 with a rotten front subframe but as it is a bolt on component they said it wasn't covered. No surprise it rotted out really as the new one barely had any paint on it and no anti rust treatment at all.

This, the front subframe also looks alarmingly orange.

It's an 07 with 165,000 miles so I'd say well beyond any corrosion warranty

One week after the CX battery had a full charge, followed by a rest in the shed:

post-23014-0-75402300-1532791350_thumb.jpg

That's 0.7v down with nothing connected. I'd say that was fecked.

Nothing for it now, except for a beer. Estrella. That will do me until I can find sixty-five quid for a new battery.