The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

LOL?

ce7ae0787e7e6a8b216c3334c84224e6.jpg

Anyone got experience of Evans Halshaw and their buy car service?

There are a few light scratches/scuffs and the like on the body, so I'll guess they'll knock a bit off for that. They'd probably at least would want that shock fixed too.

Not sure I want to sell it just yet though!

WBAC at least have in their terms that you need to have been the keeper for a certain amount of time

I can’t see Hellshaw paying that but you can only try...

Neither will spot the shock. Fuck. It. Off.

• Like 5

When I went to WeBuyAnyCar any panel with more than three paint chips/scratches got £300 deducted from the car's value.

However I walked into a garage and announced WBAC's highest offer was what they'd give me and the garage matched it...

• Like 1

I hear Evans halshaw no consistently give better prices. You're unlikely to get anything over on them though they'll know all the stuff to look out for, for each model.

My dsg box is the 7 speed and it's great. Stuffy if in economy mode though. Fine in normal and really potent in sport. Usually in normal and it's fantastic. Any way. As above,sack it off now!!

Well the van of many miles now has a full mot with just an advisory for the rubbers perishing on the front anti roll bar links. Checking in the history file these were replaced only two and a half years ago and have only done about 15k. Does no one make decent parts these days.I fitted some Meyle hd ones to my daughters Punto which have a four year guarantee so might get some of these for the van before the next Mot.

• Like 2

Anyone got experience of Evans Halshaw and their buy car service?

Yes, totally smooth and hassle free.  Chap doing the work complained that the central team who give the firm offer pay too much, and they have no chance of being able to sell them on with any margin - which they have to do locally.

• Like 3

I've seen a picture of bubs latest purchase,and no amount of eye bleach will make it go away

Do share!!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

I've seen a picture of bubs latest purchase,and no amount of eye bleach will make it go away

Knowing Bub slightly I'm scared....

His description was enough for me.

I've been following the EBay Tat thread for long enough and seen more than enough overgrown Victorian bath chairs created from a fucked Regal or Robin, bits of garden furniture and a B&M storage box, to know that Morgan hasn't got anything to fear on the lightweight high performance 3 wheeler front.

Saying that , it can't be more of a death trap than DW's blue thing.

• Like 2

Non-car-related, so apologies but I've finally managed to crack the guitar solo to 'Time' by Pink Floyd.  I've never actually had the willpower to sit and concentrate on learning something on the guitar for quite so long.  There was no technical reason I couldn't play it, just a personality one...

On car-related topics, fuel filter changed on the Golf with absolutely minimal spillage.  Turned out that my landlord/neighbour was doing exactly the same thing on his van so he's even taken it to be disposed for me.  Nice chap.  Has a Lancia Prisma up on bricks that I'm always tempted to make an offer on but can't afford...

Drove the Civic for the first time in a fortnight today, here is how it compares to the Acclaim:

Pros:

It is much quieter.

It is less crashy over bumps.

Gearbox is less notchy.

FM radio.

Negatives:

It feels needlessly large.

It is impossible to see out of, the A pillar in particular blocks all view of everything.

The steering is vague as all hell, devoid of any and all road feel.

There is no travel in the throttle pedal and it is too heavy.

The brakes are shit (might just be my example...).
The seats are too hard.

Do not want.

• Like 4

Good old Civic is in for it's MOT tomorrow. Should be a straight through breeze* like it always is! Also put the TT as my main insured car now. Eeek.

Got temporary insurance on the Civic for two days too, so might use that for a bit to remind me what I'm missing. I moved it off the drive yesterday. Apart from the usual diesel clatter reminding you it's still running, it's not a bad old motor and I do still quite like it...

• Like 2

oh and again i left the lights on the galaxy...... dead battery... why does my lights on chime not bloody chime

Because the battery is dead  :-(

Been there, done that, and the chime was working.

oh and again i left the lights on the galaxy...... dead battery... why does my lights on chime not bloody chime

Do your interior lights work off the drivers door?

Coffee time for me, sleeping pattern's fucked.

The tracking is still off on the Honda, and I clocked yesterday that the pulling to the left gets worse under braking, along with vibration through the steering wheel on the motorway. Now that's not right is it?

Going to investigate the brakes today - some plonker has rattle canned the calipers and disc centres in the past so it's plausible there's something amiss because of that

Managed to scratch the rear bumper too which I'm miffed about, luckily there was already a crack in the (very soft) paint close by so it could have been worse. I'll have to touch that in.
This car's too bloody clean, I'm paranoid about it...

Coffee time for me, sleeping pattern's fucked.

The tracking is still off on the Honda, and I clocked yesterday that the pulling to the left gets worse under braking, along with vibration through the steering wheel on the motorway. Now that's not right is it?

Going to investigate the brakes today..

I would be checking tyre pressures and wheel balance first then front suspension joints: rubbers, ball joints and strut-top bearings( if this car has McPherson struts.)

Tyre pressures are all good, 29 all round. I'm not one to forego things like that!

The tyres are very recent, 2017 stamped on them and barely worn, )the size is moulded on to the tread and it hasn't even worn off yet - sub-1000 miles?), so wheel balancing seems unlikely but could well be worth a check.

The o/s front has a seemingly collapsed spring as evidenced by replacing the (also collapsed) dampers with new KYBs not causing a difference to the uneven front ride height, could that be relevant? Don't get why it'd pull left though if the offside is lower, unless the uneven load is messing with the diff and putting more torque on the o/s wheel? Purely thinking out loud there.

There's also some play in the steering around the centre which I think is a loose UJ.

Joints etc are all good as would have noticed/checked when replacing the dampers.

From how it's behaving in general I'm looking to the brakes, but it could be anything. 

I've ruled out the tracking through the super scientific method of a piece of string.

Typically the collapsed spring issue is the opposite problem to one I've had before, the rear of the A4 had fucked dampers and too-long springs to start with. Replacing the springs for correct height ones had the car knocking and banging all over the shop until new Bilsteins were sourced.