The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, mat777 said:

Can't argue with that! Is it getting restored for road, race or restomod? 

I made a detour up to @New POD this morning, a thoroughly nice chap in a picturesque part of the world. I acquired from him, at a bargain price, another set of rims for the still-slumbering Omega track slaaaaag. With this set I've now got something to mount wet race tyres to, completing the trifecta of road biased, dry semi slick and full wet to cater for all track conditions and driver preferences 😁

IMG_20231021_130923486_HDR.jpg

You probably passed my house and could have collected another set of 16"  Mig wheels 

7 hours ago, Tickman said:

Been a bit wet up here, these two pictures are a day apart taken from the same place.

Screenshot_20231021-091335.thumb.png.de41d0956ed88873b9fe342cdaf7110b.png

Screenshot_20231021-091557.thumb.png.4528a40c554e0666e9ed8e08c2fa0b2d.png

You guys be careful up there. 

Couple of folks I know a little ways outside Stonehaven have literally lost everything they own.  As in where there house used to be there's now a gaping hole where most of the foundations used to be, now occupied by the tiny brook which hasn't once caused them a second of trouble in the last 30 years.

As a lot of folks have said things went from normal to complete chaos in well less than an hour.  In those case there were about 15 minutes from "Bugger, there's some water getting into the garage." To "Oh ****, the whole gable wall has just collapsed." They're considering themselves very lucky to be alive.

1 hour ago, omegod said:

You probably passed my house and could have collected another set of 16"  Mig wheels 

Many thanks for the offer, however for the track tyres I use I need 17s and 18s. 

I believe you break omegas for parts? If so, you have a PM :)

On 17/10/2023 at 09:41, barefoot said:

Yesterday, I booked my xmas delivery from Sainsbury's.

That reminds me, I must book my Boxing Day delivery to Anglian Water. 

Due to having limited mileage on the Crafter van I hired for the weekend (and needing to pick up a customer's dead desktop PC from a very narrow lane that I've struggled to get the Qashqai down in the past, never mind an LWB van!) I left it at my folks last night and borrowed my dad's Splash to get home. As someone who normally drives a car with an electric handbrake, I definitely didn't* have to rush out of bed when I got back when I suddenly panicked and thought I hadn't remembered to put the handbrake on - fortunately I had remembered.

On 17/10/2023 at 21:08, Daniel R25 said:

Hi,

I think the laguna 2 has fallen out of flavour here a bit. 😀 I don't know if I should create a thread on my new purchase. A laguna 2 Gt, with the detuned Megane Rs motor and the special black and red interior.

I'd be interested to hear more, I keep thinking of a 2 or a 3 as a modern* mile muncher. 

I did see a 3 GT for sale locally to me cheap with a steering fault. Turns out it was a rear wheel steering fault 😬 Run away!

1 hour ago, dome said:

You can't just tease us with this, tell us more!

It's in my thread - the Range Rover that forums and experts everywhere said couldn't happen and then crops up in any search for AJV8 into Defender. Built by a friend of a friend who has worked as a consultant for JE Engineering and JLR at various times. It is a little prototype-esque in places... but does have 390bhp, uprated powertrain to match, and shonky appearance in places aside, drives better than most RR Classics I've encountered...

And I bought it, when the original plan was to look over it and see if I could recommend an auction house. It needs to be prettier (but I should check Brightwells' last results)...

• Like 2

Out in London today. Piccadilly- MG showroom as usual pretty dismal and closed. They don't do much here to promote the brand - there is a lot of people about today - maybe it's all done online. Display has not changed since I was here last time 6-months ago.

20231022_135254.jpg

20231022_135230.jpg

20231022_135250.jpg

20 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Out in London today. Piccadilly- MG showroom as usual pretty dismal and closed. The don't do much here to promote the brand - there is a lot of people about today - maybe it's all done online. Display has not changed since I was here last time 6-months ago.

20231022_135254.jpg

20231022_135230.jpg

20231022_135250.jpg

Last time I was going past there were a couple of old mini coopers in there with flat tyres. 

41 minutes ago, RetroShite said:

I went and picked up the Rover 416 today. It's surprisingly nice to drive.

RJC_7597.JPG

RJC_7593.JPG

RJC_7581.JPG

That looks very nice - in a way a kind of shrunken Range Rover - pity they never tried a 4x4 luxury estate.

Just had a bloke at the door asking about the Volvo. Said I'd take £500 for it, he said he'd give me £50, I politely told him he was a chancer. He then started threatening me, calling me a pedo. The other two blokes in the van started shouting they'd report me to the police.

I think it might be time to get the Volvo shifted up to the unit.

• Sad 8

1 minute ago, lesapandre said:

What! There will be others with police experience on here perhaps but this sounds very threatening - something that needs reporting.

Already reported, they're sending someone round to take a statement.

27 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Another old photo site I’m a member of from home in wales….

Interesting that there’s an nsu in the Audi line up.

IMG_0780.jpeg

NSU and Audi merged in 1969 - that pic is 1972 or thereabouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

NSU and Audi merged in 1969 - that pic is 1972 or thereabouts.

I don’t recall seeing any at the time. Very rarely an Audi either. My friend cameron ( who now lives next door to my parents ) had parents with two cars in the 1970s! BMWs no less. CGU1 and CPU1 I think. At school we joked that they’d named him as they already had the numberplate. We used to play in the big bmw which had blue velour interior snd electric windows!

at the time dad had Citroen dyanes, then a visa, gsa, etc.

The Cav is quite reliant on its cooling fan. It sits at 90 which is the centre of the gauge, but when stationary at temp it pretty quickly climbs up to 100, the fan kicks in then puts it back down to 90, repeat ad nauseum.

Is that normal? Not had a car like that before.

32 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

The Cav is quite reliant on its cooling fan. It sits at 90 which is the centre of the gauge, but when stationary at temp it pretty quickly climbs up to 100, the fan kicks in then puts it back down to 90, repeat ad nauseum.

Is that normal? Not had a car like that before.

Yes. I remember my 1.6 16v Astra G doing similar too. Tbh a lot of cars do it. Thermostat is probably opening and closing during that time as well.

I was supposed to be taking the EGR valve off the Hyundai today to give it a clean out, and possibly blank it off if it was still misbehaving.

Much dismantling occurred.  To get the scuttle panel out you not only have to take the wiper arms off but the whole wiper mechanism has to come out.  Then with about a dozen 10mm bolts removed the panel can be wangled out and you can see down the back of the engine.

20231022_124116.thumb.jpg.7d338578678f01797177da53c4d239db.jpg

20231022_124110.thumb.jpg.a6b9cddfc0073b0bb1dee2532582f524.jpg

Heat shield removed (came off pretty easily considering), but the EGR isn't going to come off without the pipe also being undone as the pipe mounting bolts at the valve end are effectively impossible to get at with the valve in situ.  So I went to undo the nuts holding the pipe on at the turbo end.

20231022_130406.thumb.jpg.691fbb296e7d8469b47c7ae8f20066e8.jpg

Oh cock.  Turns out it's got "stiff nuts" fitted which have been crimped into place pretty hard, to the extent that the stud turned out to be the weakest point.  Good job it's not actually the EGR that's causing the kangarooing then - I initially thought it was as when I took the car for a drive with the EGR unplugged it was a lot smoother (albeit completely gutless), but then on a subsequent drive it started kangarooing again.  So I've put it all back together having wasted a chunk of what might be the last decent fettling day of the year.  Oh well.

Today's other main task was to dry out the rear footwell in the Toyota and see if I could see where water is getting in.  Looking at the places that appeared damp, my suspicion is that it's the seal at the top of the door that isn't doing its thing properly, so water is getting in and trickling down the door frame between the seals and thence onto the footwell carpet.  I had a roll of stick-on door rubber so I've stuck a length round the top of the door frame and next time we have a downpour I'll see if that's fixed it!

I took the Renault 4 to a well-known local discount shop this afternoon, and when I came out of the shop there was a family poking around it.  They looked slightly embarrassed when I walked up, and the dad said that a 4 had been the family car for most of his childhood so he was having a bit of a nostalgia trip.  They were a pleasant enough family and we had a bit of a chat about the car.  Then I loaded the shopping, got in and started it up, and when I got to the car park exit they were stood there waiting to watch me drive off...

This evening I fitted a new (universal) screen wash pump to the Volvo, which should have been a 2-minute job but took bloody ages in the end because those cheapo universal pumps never seem to be able to self-prime.  Then I went round the fleet with a can of glass cleaner and a roll of kitchen paper to clean the inside of the windscreens - it's the time of year when one is often driving into a low sun and a dirty screen can effectively become opaque when the sun's at the wrong angle.  Of course next weekend the clocks go back and then it'll be dark all the bastarding time anyway...

• Like 4