The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It’s MOT time here too. I’ve taken BX number 4 for a quick shake down run this evening, and chucked a couple of gallons of super unleaded in it:

B1FC816A-3D91-4B43-934D-22233A986720.thumb.jpeg.dbcd3e11ea2b9f840459eafff7713fed.jpeg

Tomorrow morning we will find out if she’s going back on the road again after her 3 year slumber.

I bought a Mercedes ML55 because I didn't want to spend £3500 on a Cayenne that needed fixes.

Said Cayenne has been offered to me again for considerably less. Like, ML and Cayenne for less than the next-cheapest Cayenne on my list.

If I evicted a pile of rust and optimism from the garage, I could almost justify fixing a Cayenne that wasn't needed in a rush 😕

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

It’s MOT time here too. I’ve taken BX number 4 for a quick shake down run this evening, and chucked a couple of gallons of super unleaded in it:

B1FC816A-3D91-4B43-934D-22233A986720.thumb.jpeg.dbcd3e11ea2b9f840459eafff7713fed.jpeg

Tomorrow morning we will find out if she’s going back on the road again after her 3 year slumber.

The leader of the pack.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Lewes reg? Do you know who the original dealer was? Suttons, maybe?

IMAG6849.thumb.jpg.b21a6a2ee23b8f28bfb77026d826963c.jpg

Was in that London today.  I've not been into London proper for a good twenty years.  Was meeting a couple of friends I've known for about twenty five years, one I've not seen in person since 2012 and one I've never met in person.  It was pretty amazing to catch up with them and have a bit of a whirlwind scoot about London.

Although the sounds and smells of a million diesel engines is gone, I can't say that London is a quieter and more pleasant place.  The constant background electronic drone of the place was just horrible and in place of the black grime the whole place just feels like it needs a wash.  The tube instead of being uniformly grubby and stinking of hot oil, diesel fumes, and cigarettes is now this mismatch of spruced up stations and down at heel stations with the cigarette smell gone.  Everything everywhere smelled of vapes and the myriad odours humans are capable of producing all on their own.  TfL staff, as they always seem to be, were pleasant and professional so top marks to them when I was trying to figure out where to be and how to pay for things.

On balance, despite London's best efforts and having to use public transport, it was a good day out and great to see some friends from the Olden Dayes even if it was only for a couple of hours.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Lewes reg? Do you know who the original dealer was? Suttons, maybe?

It came from Jermyn’s when they were over in eastbourne. An old boy a couple of roads over from me owned it from new up until he died recently.

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I don't want another BX
But I do want another BX
I DON'T want another BX
But I do really want another please god take that thing away from me before I do something foolish jesus help.

• Haha 7

Mot seems to be flavour of the week, so: Mazda 6 passed its Mot today, after a new front coil spring had been fitted 🙂 Some minor*  defects and advisories, but nothing too serious, a couple of hundred would probably put it right ( first mention of rust in 16 years and isn't too bad) However only did 900 miles in the last year so really a bit of an extravagance to keep for another year.

Date tested

12 April 2023
PASS
Mileage
83,344 miles
Test location
View test location

MOT test number
2068 5339 5849
Expiry date
11 April 2024

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Nearside Side repeater lens defective which has no effect on emitted light lens missing (4.4.1 (b) (i))

• Battery insecure but not likely to fall from carrier (4.13 (a) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin not dangerous (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge both tyres worn on both edges (5.2.3 (e))
  • vehicle rusting on under side

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

It came from Jermyn’s when they were over in eastbourne. An old boy a couple of roads over from me owned it from new up until he died recently.

Jermyn's Eastbourne was in Bourne St, now housing. IIIRC they were in Seaford too, hence the AP reg. I worked in parts in the Caffyns there, now Tesco, natch

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Jermyn's Eastbourne was in Bourne St, now housing. IIIRC they were in Seaford too, hence the AP reg. I worked in parts in the Caffyns there, now Tesco, natch

There’s still a garage at the Jermyn’s site in Seaford but no idea if it’s the same owners. I seem to recall they lost the Ford franchise and went MG for a bit when that was like the roughest rebound partner after a divorce from someone respectable. They call themselves Seaford Ford now but without Ford branding IIRC.

I remember the Caffyns vividly, passed it regularly when I was younger. It’s where I buy my beer now when Morrisons is shut, and my top secret* dumping area is the road behind where the gasometer used to be.

3 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

There’s still a garage at the Jermyn’s site in Seaford but no idea if it’s the same owners. I seem to recall they lost the Ford franchise and went MG for a bit when that was like the roughest rebound partner after a divorce from someone respectable. They call themselves Seaford Ford now but without Ford branding IIRC.

I remember the Caffyns vividly, passed it regularly when I was younger. It’s where I buy my beer now when Morrisons is shut, and my top secret* dumping area is the road behind where the gasometer used to be.

It was you shatting in Stafford Rd? :) Isn't it Brooklyns Hyundai now? (I don't get out much)

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

It was you shatting in Stafford Rd? :) Isn't it Brooklyns Hyundai now? (I don't get out much)

Stafford Road shite will most likely be from Stafford Road Garage, it’s family run and they seem to like their older stuff. One of their boys is a friend of a friend, and I know he’s into rallying and IIRC the dad was involved with auto cross or auto grass. They had a lot of 90’s RWD jap and BMW stuff last time I visited.

My stuff is too unsightly for Stafford Road, so I normally dump it down the hill by Mendall garage who neighbour the gasometer and the building that used to be Seaford’s premier* source of night life: the Trek club. Other people leave commercial vehicles there so I don’t feel too guilty leaving my truck and trailer there if it’s not convenient to unload at home or the farm.

Brooklyns are you the other end of Claremont from what was Jermyn’s, their dealership is deceptively large as the workshops and storage are built into the ground underneath main road level. There was a lad there who had an immaculate mk1 Prelude for some time a few years back. My mate from when I worked at Colin’s Honda was telling me something interesting the other weekend about Brooklyns but I can’t remember for the life of me what it was - something about the founder moving here and building it up from nothing I think, but quite a few beers had been consumed so my recall isn’t great and it could’ve been something entirely different 😅

15 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Stafford Road shite will most likely be from Stafford Road Garage, it’s family run and they seem to like their older stuff. One ofYes their boys is a friend of a friend, and I know he’s into rallying and IIRC the dad was involved with auto cross or auto grass. They had a lot of 90’s RWD jap and BMW stuff last time I visited.

My stuff is too unsightly for Stafford Road, so I normally dump it down the hill by Mendall garage who neighbour the gasometer and the building that used to be Seaford’s premier* source of night life: the Trek club. Other people leave commercial vehicles there so I don’t feel too guilty leaving my truck and trailer there if it’s not convenient to unload at home or the farm.

Brooklyns are you the other end of Claremont from what was Jermyn’s, their dealership is deceptively large as the workshops and storage are built into the ground underneath main road level. There was a lad there who had an immaculate mk1 Prelude for some time a few years back. My mate from when I worked at Colin’s Honda was telling me something interesting the other weekend about Brooklyns but I can’t remember for the life of me what it was - something about the founder moving here and building it up from nothing I think, but quite a few beers had been consumed so my recall isn’t great and it could’ve been something entirely different 😅

Yes, SRG were overtly ignored at the time. Had something old last time I went by. Liked the Buckle, but never Trekked, stayed closer to home (usually). Colins was our rival at the Overs Bexhill Honda Centre!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I’m ex kwik fit and that is very rare.

however whilst working for them (different branch) I got my nose broken when I challenged the knuckle dragger apprentice (to him it’s ok to do nothing all day and still gets a cut of the monthly bonus)

He thought he was billy big bollox now he was shagging the managers ex gf.

he got transferred to another branch that I knew the staff at  and got a very hard time (every job on jacks , no ramp for you, no I’m not moving cars for you as you don’t have a license etc)

I really couldn’t be bothered with the whole police thing as he seemed the sort to set fire to houses with people in them and watch it burn, vile character.

• Sad 5

Took the Oxford out for some Exercise (grabbing fuel for Elgrand so I could top it up at the station cos the Burd said needle didn't move today!)

Started right up within 2 turns, choke off after 30secs.

Short hop (500 yards to petrol station) started again no issue.

IMG_20230413_151912159.thumb.jpg.8147d9fc9e3158ac9e8d99a04dda21f7.jpg

1.5 miles to the Elgrand. Started fine after I put the petrol in the Elgrand.

300yards to the co-op to get dinner. Started fine.

IMG_20230413_154229349.thumb.jpg.c006f3dc852ebcccd9e453684dd5c0e3.jpg

Took scenic route home, ran fine.

Got passed by a 2JZ Soarer in fantabulous skidder condition - sounded ace.

Caught them at next traffic lights, pulled up in left lane to much waving and 👍

Had him off the line! From 0-0.5mph🤣

Fair few toots/waves/weans stopping and pointing.

All in all, BRAW.

I wish they were all this easy!

Screenshot_20230413-175348.thumb.png.a8dfb2a60b4178b4bb927da487579fd4.png

1 advisory for windscreen chip.

Garage owner (who I'd never met until today) was very complimentary about it.

This is the third car I've sent to them and they do seem like an honest bunch, which is ideal as it's a 15 minute walk away, instead of 20/25 drive to the place I normally used in Ibrox. 

Just now, lesapandre said:

Note to six-cylinder: If you have any ideas of turning your own FOD into anything like this  above, please erect a sensor which will automatically lock out anyone who can and actually will write utter shit like this:

One afternoon we take a 25-minute taxi ride (about £20 from Field of Dreams) to an industrial estate on the northern outskirts of Derby to the newly opened Withers Gin School, where botanicals maestro Edward Gibson distills the essence of artisan gin manufacture into a well-oiled, entertainingly educational two and half hours.

😄

• Haha 3

Melbourne house is the oddest of stately homes in that its only open to the public for about a fortnight each year and the family still live in it. You potter about amongst the faded grandeur and there's last night's half eaten pizza tucked behind a chair with the TV remote. Utterly bizarre. The gardens are interesting and the village is home to the best carburettor man I have ever met.

Fleet update, as I haven't done one in ages. 

20230414_120129.thumb.jpg.d67eeab6f8434b3bd9e8b98bb9cbc78b.jpg

The Xedos passed its MoT today so that's a relief.  It's my main car so I won't have to use the Polo as my plan B.  That got an MoT last month after I'd sorted the rear brakes, new back 'box and general servicing.  Plus four new tyres once it passed as the old ones were cracked to fook. First ticket in three years.  Will sell it in a few months as it was only meant as a quick project and something to muck about with.

The Morris is still here, or rather on my parents' driveway.  Started it up the other day after being dormant for four months then went for a bimble.

20230413_153143.thumb.jpg.9da22deb5e38bb3396dcb43433310b0d.jpg

The Metro is now 40 so I applied for historic status this week.  I think the last time I used it was in October, so that needs starting up and a good run at some point.

Once the Polo is gone I'm not sure what to get next.  I keep wondering whether to get a Renault 18 from Spain or something, but the last time I tried I got nowhere (as in the sellers just ignored me).  Plus can I really be arsed anyway.