The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Had this tank arrive on my driveway. Was helping a friend who had suddenly lost access to a working handbrake.

spacer.png

Given how over engineered this slab of yank tank is, I was surprised that the whole operation of the handbrake relies on a really lightly threaded bar pushed into a very brittle plastic button, with a spring in between. The button had decided it fancied a wee trip across a car park and let go along with the spring, and the bar had loosened its grip on the ratchet mechanism. Handy. At least it was parked on the flat.

The mechanism is all indoors which at least saved some swearing and blowtorching.

spacer.png

Finding a spring nowadays is a right faff thanks to there being no old fashioned hardware shops any more. Turns out the springs inside these were exactly the right size and I had a pile of them.

spacer.png

Threaded a new nut and washer onto the bar to hold the spring in,  and it was good as new 👍

Went to change the speakers in the v6 and found 6x9 aint direct fit, so have ordered some adapters, in between showers changed number plates and surrounds, also changed led side repeaters, and headlamps inc grill.. thought I'd make it bit different as gets referred as previous owners car...

Screenshot_20200924-164412_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20200924_120548.jpg

20200924_120639.jpg

20200924_120935.jpg

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

nothing thats how it came from ebay

What the dodgy misspaced plates came from ebay without you asking them to do it?

I still don't get it, but then I don't get the whole fuck about with your plates thing at all, you will get pulled eventually, and you'll probably moan about the fine saying its unfair, but its your life :)

3 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

What the dodgy misspaced plates came from ebay without you asking them to do it?

amazon and no,  i may not be eton educated but even i couldnt squint and think says a word

Do certain cars encourage you to drive in a certain way? They do to me. Generally I’m not proud of it. 2cv = drive like your trousers are on fire. Mercedes- SMOOOOTH. This 1.6 golf makes me drive carefully and probably a bit slow as well. It could be the engine noise as it’s just not a very pleasant/ inspiring engine note

E4D4DD51-BBDC-4966-A87D-353B6657863E.thumb.jpeg.aed347424af8881033dc9846c8386368.jpeg

Having said that it’s decent enough, if a bit wallowy. It’s lasted a lot better than a mk2 golf GTI I had in 2005, despite now being 5 years older than it was then.

4 hours ago, stuboy said:

Went to change the speakers in the v6 and found 6x9 aint direct fit, so have ordered some adapters, in between showers changed number plates and surrounds, also changed led side repeaters, and headlamps inc grill.. thought I'd make it bit different as gets referred as previous owners car...

Screenshot_20200924-164412_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20200924_120548.jpg

20200924_120639.jpg

20200924_120935.jpg

funny how were all different, if i ever buy a car with those plate surrounds, first thing i do is whaz em straight in the bin as soon as i pull on the drive! 

the TT which now resides with @Jazoli had chrome pink ones, neons in the footwell and ' powered by fairydust' on the back window, im sure if he knew that, he wouldnt have bought it :)

Just packed ready for a trip up to Edinburgh - haven't been away since January, so trying to sneak in a quick long weekend before the inevitable disaster of the next winter. Mondeo is ready to go - hasn't been on a long motorway trip in the time I've had it, but ideally suited especially with cruise control.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mally said:

I think Ghosty did something similar, but might not have been him.

Wasn't me, I've had pressed plates before but I had the spacing done right. I always put a space before the last three letters of the plate when I'm ordering to make sure they come back right. 
I once got sent incorrect pressed plates for my mum's Mini. They never asked for them back... 

8 hours ago, jamiechod said:

funny how were all different, if i ever buy a car with those plate surrounds, first thing i do is whaz em straight in the bin as soon as i pull on the drive! 

the TT which now resides with @Jazoli had chrome pink ones, neons in the footwell and ' powered by fairydust' on the back window, im sure if he knew that, he wouldnt have bought it :)

I wouldn't have bought it if it'd still be adorned with all that tat no :)

5 hours ago, jamiechod said:

No, not seen his name (although he is far too young to be on the forums and groups I guess!) 

As long as he doesn't turn into a cocky know it all twat like the last kid collector who got in the papers whilst still being a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to do anything I'm rooting for the kid! 

Any small Reliant lickers in the NE of Scotland?

I saw both a Robin and Kitten in the Persley scrap yard yesterday. No interiors but looked to be complete body wise and seemed to have most of their drivetrains. They were in the holding area to the side, rather than the main yard.

Day off today, so finally a chance to go a proper drive. Ended up doing over 100 miles in it. Feel a lot more confident chucking this about now with the new brakes and tyres. Chucked a bucket of water over it and took some pics, will be handy for whenever it's for sale again 😂

When I came home, a gargantuan parcel was waiting for me containing the body coloured grill, so put that on. Looks a lot better to my eyes.

I've got a planned trip up the highlands next month with the wife, would like to take this up there. After that, I'll either sell it or store it off road before winter and the ice and salt hits the roads. My neighbour kindly offered to let me use her driveway for "whatever car I'm not using"  so that could be an option. I always feel leaving a car sitting is a waste though.

IMG_20200925_133450_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133458_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133548_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133603_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133618_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133646_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133715_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_134103_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133516_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133527_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_141304_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_141750_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_144355_NR.jpg

54 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Seems our @Wingz123 is trying his hand at being an auto smart rep to keep the lights on

20200925_120008.thumb.jpg.122aae746faf6d3a44ee73bc5a705334.jpg

My order arrived today. Price was good too, and I've had half a glass of the g101 and it tastes about right! 

Shameless plug for him etc! 

Tardis is amazing. It could literally remove any contaminant from paintwork 

Another staple, I use is highstyle, rubber dressing looks amazing on tyres etc 

1 hour ago, SRi05 said:

Day off today, so finally a chance to go a proper drive. Ended up doing over 100 miles in it. Feel a lot more confident chucking this about now with the new brakes and tyres. Chucked a bucket of water over it and took some pics, will be handy for whenever it's for sale again 😂

When I came home, a gargantuan parcel was waiting for me containing the body coloured grill, so put that on. Looks a lot better to my eyes.

I've got a planned trip up the highlands next month with the wife, would like to take this up there. After that, I'll either sell it or store it off road before winter and the ice and salt hits the roads. My neighbour kindly offered to let me use her driveway for "whatever car I'm not using"  so that could be an option. I always feel leaving a car sitting is a waste though.

IMG_20200925_133450_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133458_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133548_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133603_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133618_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133646_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133715_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_134103_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133516_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_133527_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_141304_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_141750_NR.jpg

IMG_20200925_144355_NR.jpg

That's looking great. Be a shame to see it get sold after all the work/money you've put in. Agreed re the winter salt though. I dread having the XJ40 on the road during that. 

You've got me sold on the body colour/black grill for the XJ40 I think. 

6 minutes ago, dome said:

That's looking great. Be a shame to see it get sold after all the work/money you've put in. Agreed re the winter salt though. I dread having the XJ40 on the road during that. 

You've got me sold on the body colour/black grill for the XJ40 I think. 

It would be a shame, I'm in two minds with it. I'm definitely not driving it once the winter hits, so it'll be off road till about March. I'd be selling it for a fair bit more than I paid as you can imagine, so would be a bit of a niche sale on here. I wouldn't be banking on it going anywhere. If I end up keeping it I'll get the wheels refurbed, they could do with a tidy up. The option of having storage helps a bit, I was going to park it on my drive but it's pretty narrow, better for a small car. The last time I had a Jag on it you almost had to turn sideways to walk down it 😂 

Body colored grille looks a lot better IMO, the sport models all came with them. The chrome inserts are held on with 2 screws btw so easy to get them out and paint them even. 

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

Tardis is amazing. It could literally remove any contaminant from paintwork 

Another staple, I use is highstyle, rubber dressing looks amazing on tyres etc 

Yup! I go through it more with cleaning vacuum bearings lol. But the car is due a pre winter detail so I'll be sure to splash it about there too! 

Do autosmart do a nice by hand polish? Something like srp, can be filler heavy as it likes but easy on/easy off as a base for wax is what I want!