Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Interesting.  *adds that bracket to the "missing stuff" list*

Wonder if it might have been somewhere else in my vehicle as I reckon you'd smack your elbow on it every time you went for the choke/heater controls where they are in mine...

Also, I reckon if it had been there it would probably have fallen off by now as the panel is so thin there that I'm surprised the ID plate hasn't fallen off!

Likewise, I of course do not have a suitably period extinguisher to put in it...

This is the most stable an Invacar will ever be. Support on all four corners!

DXnUM-uX4AIepPK.jpg

About time I got the original front tyre replaced I reckon. Sadly, while getting the wheel off, I noticed that the balljoint rubber is torn to bits. An MOT failure now I think? Plasticvandan, are they the same as Reliant?

I've also remembered that I haven't fitted the lower engine shrouds yet. Plenty to be getting on with then.

Can't exactly like that - but am ashamed at the rate a lot of the autoshite group crack on.........

On a softy note - wouldn't a piece of old carpet keep at least a little bit of the chill off? Only ask as I'm now going all southern and have reclaimed carpet tiles for locating under the various pieces of sh*t that torment my very existence.

How likely is the March on the Road looking?

Fresh from China, a new front lid lock arrived. Doesn't have a weather cover. Will likely die.

DXri3bpWsAEDCxE.jpg

It does work though. Now I have TWO keys. Had to find a keyring FFS.

Also, the fusebox spent the night sitting in a vat of Mrs DW's homemade vinegar, and cleaned up nicely. The 35Amp fuse was duff though, so now it has a 25 Amp fuse in place of the 35 amp one, and a 10 amp one where the 25 should be. I probably need to buy more fuses, but things do actually seem to work, which is nice.

Getting the tyre fitted tomorrow, hopefully cracking on with door seals on Friday. Need to purchase adhesive and cheapo ratchet clamps. Annoyingly, I can find only one quarter of the ones I already own...

Haven't ID'd it yet, but there's no play I don't think, so cover replacement seems an option. 

Anyway, more invisible repairs!

DXyseddWkAEH9He.jpg

That's part of an old Halfords screenwash bottle that I'm using just to cover the hole in this door. I now have functioning exterior handles on both doors. 

I also replaced one of the door seals. I bought a £1 tube of contact adhesive, and then had the most stressful ten minutes of my life, trying to apply it to the door opening without it getting on me, on the floor of the car or the garage and also trying not to glue my fingers together. It was horrific! Really runny stuff that seems determined to go everywhere but where you want it. Maybe I should have gone the Sikaflex route after all. Anyway, it's done, and hopefully it'll still be stuck to the car in the morning. Then I can get the doors back on.

Poundworld also provided me with a top quality* ratchet strap, which now holds the battery far more securely than a bungee did. Oh, and I've got the new tyre fitted. Not fitted the wheel again yet, as I'm pondering what to do with balljoints.

If you get stuck for ball joints / track rods you can always give Amsteer a ring. They made a set of rebel ones for me a few years back. Quality stuff made in Staffordshire.

They are worth speaking to on the phone as they can make a much wider range of products than they have on their website. They may even be able to help cross reference if its a part shared in common with a more common car.

http://www.amsteer.co.uk/

Thanks. If it stops sodding raining, I'll wrap this next video up. One after can be balljoint covers, then the first drive on the road! Razzing up the driveway, the temptation is huge to just keep going and have a spin around the village. Seems ridiculous that I can't assess it at speed until I'm driving to an MOT test.