Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

There was much tweaking of nipples, and at one point, there was much accidental squirting.

Fnarr, fnarr, wibble

• Like 1

That is actually what you do, but the spares car is currently perched atop some wobbly pallets...

Anyway, thanks to assistance from Mrs DW, the engine is out!

DUpJKXOXkAAz8NE.jpg

That was a right game. The whole lot first has to go forwards before it'll drop enough to clear the rear engine mount (which is welded to the chassis rather than bolted). The manual says this is easier than just removing the engine though. To be honest, I think we're doing to split the engine and trans and see what we make of that.

The alternative to rescuing the spare engine is to take this one to a machine shop and see if they can salvage it. All I care about at the moment is the next cup of tea

Full marks to your assistant/wife? for putting up with all this. She looks exceedingly helpful.

All the hard work will be rewarded, at some point.

Theoretically would your engine just need the dizzy mount building up with some weld then grinding back?

I guess so. If I go for 'fix,' I'll have to buy another distributor, as the one on the spares car is definitely not for shifting. There's also the fact that I'd have to strip the old engine entirely, as I reckon there's a load of swarf inside it now. Worryingly, it no longer seems to want to turn...

• Like 2

Oooh! Some bedtime Youtubeage from DW once Mrs D has fallen asleep (she's had wine this evening!). This is one vehicle resto/recommission story I've grown quite fond of.

• Like 1

I did some splitting. 

DUuPij6WAAA9DZt.jpg

Four bolts and no input shaft to worry about, so really simple. Now wondering if it would have been easier to pull just the engine out and ignore what the manual says. I think the plan of action will now be to remove just the engine from the spares car. We're pondering setting up a block and tackle and a home-made A-frame to lift the engine out. Let's see if that actually happens. I'm not sure we have even half the materials necessary for that...

Can't you get the fair Mrs Wobbler to help carry...

She's certainly willing to help me get the engine out. I suspect the Honda can be roped in for transporting it down the driveway. Handy that low floor...

No one on the farms round there with a forklift truck Wobbler?

Even a tractor with lifting gear would suffice.

Has crossed my mind. I hate asking for favours though. I don't own anything useful to offer a return.

• Like 2