HMC- new-Triumph Acclaim

HMC

Quite a lot of history….

e bay 2005

IMG_7334.jpeg.4cd590c613ef854df8428aa8ffdf57be.jpeg

IMG_7332.jpeg.844f278a316b92f5e1c84022e3b08fd8.jpeg

Lets say it must have rained a lot since 😂

Actually its not in bad shape but its nothing like the e bay ad anymore (had quite a bit of welding in 2021 looking at the invoices)

Class! Would be good to hear a 'giving it beans' video for this one - my bosses old one which I borrowed a few times in the early 90s had a right bark to it. 

Here it is 16 years ago, apparently. 

Screenshot_20240917_184540_Flickr.jpg.81ecaa9ccf3202036327fb7cf371fd4c.jpg

• Like 2

That's a flash Acclaim! Many years ago I had an HL in the same colour as a stop gap after my MG metro needed too much work.

I seem to recall doing a premium * repair to the nearside inner sill using a length of dexion to tie the B post back to the sill!

In fact, now I think of it, I fixed the rorty exhaust note too by welding a Nescafe catering tin round the backbox. A mate who worked in Highways took pity and appeared at my door one day with a complete Unipart exhaust system he took off a scrapper in Cheltenham; still had the paper parts labels on it.

Well bought. 😁

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Enter a cheap Opaline green Acclaim CD….

IMG_7324.jpeg.df85248e9801bb106cf87f89ab44ea95.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg.757a478cb4bbd2053eb5ceb7a27efcdc.jpeg

IMG_7325.jpeg.dcc981118274a418b6469fe1a3733350.jpeg

IMG_7326.jpeg.727da86e6f42130dc284e5cb396f1c82.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg.f9b641c343e1493a22f76c0198bfa54b.jpeg

Phwoaar. In 1995ish, my mum found her Mk1 Fez Sandpiper had been nicked and procured an Acclaim CD as its velour clad, 4 x electric window’d (all of which needed manual assistance to close) 5 speeded replacement, in metallic red. By 1998 it had been welded up at each MOT, had rear arches formed entirely of wob and covered in red lead and was put out of its misery when a shogun backed into the front corner, taking out wing, bonnet, bumper and headlight. Thinking on, it would have been 12 years old at the time and yours looks a damn sight better, so it’s doing pretty well!

I too had a CD Acclaim in 1995 and the streets of Tavistock shook as I rumbled through flexing the 1335cc. Mine was Oporto Red. 

Well bought, I wonder if you'll conclude (as I did) that it's 7/8ths the size of a 'normal' car. 

My electric windows all worked... Slowly. 

@Dick Longbridge they do sound good flat out, twin carbs pointing towards the dash for maximum induction babble. 

• Like 1

YESS! I knew you'd have one sooner or later.

Every time I saw a CD, I'd peer in to see if it had the optional air conditioning. Never found one that did.

Also I never really understood the idea of the CD's plastic wheeltrims, which were to all intents and purposes the same as the basic steel wheel design.

Mine was my first car (ELR90Y) and I bloody loved it (because of course I did). Great fun in 2nd and 3rd on my local back roads. 

5 hours ago, HMC said:

And i might be having a look at some prime shite tonight with a view to doing a buy. But isnt 4 cars too many ?  (even if one is in bits)

Only buying 4? 🤣

I suspect the tax disk holder was old even in 1983, not sure when Leyland dumped the Redline and Blueline labels for their trucks but probably around 1980. Also I think the tractors had long gone by then. 

24 minutes ago, HMC said:

This looks to be a period photo. Not great quality but an Ital, Marina, mini and an Acclaim are all on the forecourt…

IMG_7341.png.82d5022cde8703a47dec57472dbfeaaa.png

I think that's too big for Kirk Ella. That looks to be one of the main city ones, probably the Hull branch. 

5 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

I think that's too big for Kirk Ella. That looks to be one of the main city ones, probably the Hull branch. 

Yes,  looking further the Kirk Ella one i think was later a peugeot dealer- i cant find a pic though

6 minutes ago, HMC said:

Yes,  looking further the Kirk Ella one i think was later a peugeot dealer- i cant find a pic though

I don't remember Parish's at all to be honest.I seem to remembe the Peugeot dealers in the area being Jordan's in the 90s . Wonder if the Kirkella one was too

actually the one in the picture I think is the Hull Anlaby road branch which became TC Harrison Austin Rover dealers . Id imagine the Kirk Ella branch also became TC Harrison if it survived until then

Triangle Peugeot Talbot was next door I think