Information Sites

Pillock

This picture of a Mondeo in potentially foreign parts

Looks definitely UK - note the give way lines on the correct side of the junction, the sodium street lights on during the day (impending gloom at any time), the heavy, stone bay window, front gardens with hedges and a row of terraces. I would hazard a guess that it's somewhere in either the West Riding or Lancashire or perhaps lowland Scotlandshire.

Just noticed the Peugeot Servicebox site (so presumably the almost identical Renner and Citroen ones too) has a menu option for "Component manufacturer"

For a random 206 I just checked, it says 

NJECTION ASSOCIATED VARIANT MOUNTING BOSCH

Could this be a way to tell whether something is veg-friendly when you spy it on eBay?

Can anyone feed me some reg plates for a definitely-Bosch and definitely-Lucas Pug?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks Pillock for starting this thread in the first place. As others have said, could it become a sticky? It's a really useful source of info, and not that easy to find when you've not looked at it for a few months!

I wanted to make a note on here about this:

"Registration to VIN Conversion

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/BMW/Login/Index

(Don't worry it's a BMW site, it seems to be able to convert any UK registration plate to a VIN and first reg date - tested it back to 1985)"

It doesn't work any more. I found it really useful, and can't find anything else on the net that'll do the same thing. Anyone found any suitable alternatives?

Thanks Pillock for starting this thread in the first place. As others have said, could it become a sticky? It's a really useful source of info, and not that easy to find when you've not looked at it for a few months!

I wanted to make a note on here about this:

"Registration to VIN Conversion

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/BMW/Login/Index

(Don't worry it's a BMW site, it seems to be able to convert any UK registration plate to a VIN and first reg date - tested it back to 1985)"

It doesn't work any more. I found it really useful, and can't find anything else on the net that'll do the same thing. Anyone found any suitable alternatives?

it just told me my car is an honda spaceship so 11/10 so far

+1 about making this thread a sticky. These sites have a wealth of info, and are all really useful especially as more and more vehicles are using multiple versions/manufacturers for the same part. 

A couple more for the list.

Blueprint Live. Will give you Blueprint part no's for most things, mainly geared up towards Japanese/Korean stuff I think but they do cater for others. More importantly it will generate the VIN from the reg for you to use on other lookup sites. The BMW warranty site doesn't seem to have the VIN feature any more. You have to register for this but it is free. http://www.blue-print.com/blueprintlive/

Cat-Car. Russian site in English. Not perfect, but deals with lots of different manufacturers and is fairly accurate. Easy to use and no sign-up. http://catcar.info/en/

Lings Honda. By all accounts Ling herself is properly mental, but this site is useful for Honda bits. Works on UK reg or VIN no's up to 2010 MY. http://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/oem-car-parts-diagrams.html

You're right, that BMW checker is missing the VIN.

I'm camping this weekend and the broadband is quite slow (#firstworldproblems) so I'll polish the front page up a little when I'm home. Ideally if people keep making recommendations I'll keep putting them on the first post and removing dead links.

You're right, that BMW checker is missing the VIN.

I'm camping this weekend and the broadband is quite slow (#firstworldproblems) so I'll polish the front page up a little when I'm home. Ideally if people keep making recommendations I'll keep putting them on the first post and removing dead links.

Just an FYI ukvehicle.com is now known as Cazana although the old link redirects to the new URL. Incidentally I don't know how big/professional Cazana is but when I contacted them asking why they were using my photographs without permission they seemed utterly unaware of the idea of copyright infringement and their defence was that I made my photos "publicly viewable" and stopped replying.

Maybe one to avoid.

^ Cazana pulls automatically old photos from the 'net which are already 'out there'. If the photo has already been published, I really can't see the issue.

Personally, I think the Cazana site is bloody brilliant, and hope the main features remain free for as long as possible.

Wow, that Blueprint site is excellent! I'd "lost sight" of my old Focus - EX09ZGY. Didn't show up as anything, not scrapped or exported.... just not on any site.

Went to ETIS, tapped in the reg and it gave me the VIN. Went to Blueprint, tapped in the VIN and it told me that it's now UF02TEL (Presumably Terry is a UFO fanatic). Went to Cazana and searching on the new registration confirmed that it's had a reg change.

I feel like a proper internet detective. Just about to update the first post with all the new stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...