Information Sites

Pillock

• 2 months later...

Bumping this badboy as the handy blue-print site has been upgraded* to the Febi-Bilstein Partfinder, and of course the VIN data has been removed. 

You can still log into the old blueprint site if you use an old url but it doesn't work.

Anyone got another solution for reg to VIN?

Thinking out loud here, would any of our resident tech types want to integrate a data search into the site or setup a new site to do it?

There are various companies offering API access such as https://ukvehicledata.co.uk/pricing where it's 15p a search for vehicle data which includes the VIN. 

I would be happy to donate a quid or whatever to get the VIN for a car I was interested in.

There may even be a way to get the data for free from the government or something, the company I linked are just the top result on google.

There may be a further issue in that the data provider I linked has T&Cs saying:

2. You may not display the VIN / Chassis number to a non-verified trade body. A Consumer can not be shown the full VIN number from VRM. This includes it being hidden in any HTML or similar source. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this badboy as the handy blue-print site has been upgraded* to the Febi-Bilstein Partfinder, and of course the VIN data has been removed. 

You can still log into the old blueprint site if you use an old url but it doesn't work.

Anyone got another solution for reg to VIN?

Really? I used it yesterday to get a VIN from the reg of a car we were looking at buying.

https://www.blue-print.com/Newweb/index6_fs.asp and click Catalogue

Yo!

As Blueprint has gone to shit, I can still look up a VIN for anyone that needs one although its not done through a website so I'm unable to link to the facility. 

If you need a VIN then PM me the reg and I'll check it as soon as I can - I need to be at either my work or home computer to do it so it may not be instant!

Really? I used it yesterday to get a VIN from the reg of a car we were looking at buying.

https://www.blue-print.com/Newweb/index6_fs.asp and click Catalogue

Yep, definitely not working for me, that link goes to an error page which directs you back to the blueprint homepage, which only has links to the Febi partfinder.

There may be a further issue in that the data provider I linked has T&Cs saying:

2. You may not display the VIN / Chassis number to a non-verified trade body. A Consumer can not be shown the full VIN number from VRM. This includes it being hidden in any HTML or similar source.

I think that must be a restriction imposed by the DVLA as all sites that used to show the VIN have removed it and there's no way for a private individual to get a VIN from a reg any more. I guess it's to prevent ringing/cloning but nonetheless annoying to genuine users. They also seem to have put restrictions on displaying previous registrations and dates of keeper changes, hence Cazana removing this useful info. Back when the vehicle checker was first introduced in the early 2000s, the DVLA used to show keeper change dates on their own site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shame that Cazana have essentially hidden all of the previously useful information behind a paywall now. Doesn't show anything beyond make, model and MOT history unless you've got a paid account.

Annoying as that was one of the good ones in the past.

Cazana was way more useful in the past, but it still gives the exact date of registration. DVLA only tell you the month and year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If there's no validation that the email address exists, I'd enter

User@anyolddomain.com

and a password of your choice. That way it won't bring you a whole new world of spam.

/egg sucking lesson

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Yeah I know I could do something like that :)

but I was just wondering if there was anything pre existing

plus from what iv seen in this thread it no longer does the whole Reg-VIN plate stuff anymore *sad face*

• 3 weeks later...

found another site that will spit out vin numbers!   :mrgreen:

and this one i found myself so I think i can share it without any issues  :)

https://my.dvlasearch.co.uk/users/sign_in

from reading here https://dvlasearch.co.uk/ it looks like it uses official DVLA data, its normally a paid for service, but if you sign up you get 100 free "credits" which basically means 100 "successful" look ups

sadly it seems to suffer from a similar issue that the privately shared site I have, 

in that while I can for example look up MPH759P or GPG721K and they will show up, the VIN number section is blank sadly

(but looking up something taxed after Y2K will return a VIN number)

the fact that iv come across 2 sites that suffer from this "Y2K" issue, makes me doubly curious what lanciamatt's HPI check turns up, because I think HPI get their info from the same source...

figured its worth posting this here as well for anyone needing to know the VIN from a cars registration :)

as stated, it only seems to give you the VIN, if the car was taxed/SORN after Y2K