SiC's Silver Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector - Gone!

SiC

Posting to promote back up the timeline. Only bloody joined to see this fine motor redeem itself!

Seem to remember Chinese Ed reviving a Porky dsg with an oil and filter change. Bloke who sold it must've felt a div.....

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

That was a bit of telly bullshit, gearbox was kippered

Currently the list of known issues, is as follows:

[*]Squeals when cold, not so bad when warm (aux belt/tensioner?)

My xantia been doing this for 2 weeks, squealing like a pig when cold, silent by the time I get to work...

Just saying, like!

How much is a used box?

It's probably not worth saving but neither is a 181k mile Panda....

Cheapest on ebay is £150 with delivery. Most seem around £250-500. Problem is, that box could be buggered too. You can get lower mileage 9-5 for £600-1000, which obviously have a box pre-fitted!

Can you drop the sump off the autobox and clean it out as well as doing the filter if it has one? For the cost of some ATF and time...

The filter on these is buried deep in the box and would require a complete strip down to get to. Also its only a mesh type filter apparently. The sump off would get to the valve bodies (I believe), which changing them possibly would solve the problem. However no reasonably priced valve bodies seem to be on eBay and my local scrappy has no auto Saabs in. 

My xantia been doing this for 2 weeks, squealing like a pig when cold, silent by the time I get to work...

Just saying, like!

Yeah, its just an annoyance. This has a chain driven camshaft, so no fears the aux belt taking out the cambelt. Water pump and PAS driven off that belt though, so can't carry on driving if it does go.

Is there any solenoids on the autobox, we had a similar scenario with a MGZT that suddenly started banging into gear between shifts - that was a faulty solenoid, cost a fortune and probably just required a bit of a clean....

Yeah, there are plenty of solenoids! 5 for gears, 3 other - 1x lock-up, 2x pressure control.

Here is the valve body on a 9-3, but same box and similar location as the 9-5:

https://youtu.be/UeYAnF2KGYw?t=2m4s

Plenty of wires on that. Also requires liquid gasket to reseal if the cover is removed. WPCGW by removing it? :D

Would a bigger/extra ATF cooler help the issues your having?

Does the gearbox ECU have to relearn it's shift points after a fluid change or is it possible it needs the fuse pulling for a bit to reset it?

Possibly if it could keep the temps low enough. I'm still clinging onto the hope that a few more flushes will sort it. However I'm starting to think that its either solenoids sticking when they're hot, or internal damage in the box.

Adaptation can be reset, but you need the diagnostic tools to do so. My DS150e doesn't support it, but I have an op-com kicking around somewhere that may be able to do it... Only really worth doing after a flush though.

I'm pondering about getting under it tomorrow, removing a cooler line and doing a proper flush through. That way I can guarantee that the vast majority of fluid in the box will be fresh. If that doesn't solve it, then its either valve body or internal box fault. If its either of which, for me, will probably mean its the end of life for this car :o

There are too many decent, cheap (sub 1k) Saab 9-5s about to justify spending too much money on a shonky one. Ok, not the AutoShite way ( ;)), but I have to be 'sensible' about these things.

The autobox problem sounds serious and potentially costly to fix. It's not economic to put a new gearbox on an old high miles car so unless you can find a secondhand box that you and your mates can fit for nil labour cost I suggest you have one more go at fixing it then bridging it if you fail.

There's a brilliant thread on the 406 coupe forum here (you need to be a forum member to read it) where the symptoms sound the same as yours although perhaps not as extreme. “I have studied my failing autobox since I got the car a year ago, as the temperature rises the shift into second gets more jerky.â€

He fixed it by taking the valve block out and cleaning a load of gunge out of one of the valves that was interfering with proper operation. I realise that this was on a ZF box and yours is different but who knows, it might be a similar cause. You've got nothing to lose if the car is going in the bin anyway.

The art of Autoshite/Bangernomics for me: is knowing when to make a managed retreat from a car.

If I were you, I'd be running a mile from this.  You've no emotional attachment to the car after just a couple of weeks, you can replace it cheaper than you can fix this one and even if you make it perfect it's still only worth a few hundred quid.

Sorry to be the doom monger, but you've given the car a good few chances already and it's not thanked you once.

The art of Autoshite/Bangernomics for me: is knowing when to make a managed retreat from a car.

That is bangernomics, autoshite is to spend £££ or time on something that is unloved which would mean fixing the box or sourcing a new one

I've just had a very busy afternoon, taking off the oil cooler return hose. First problem of the day, jacking the car up...

Turns out that my jack isn't able to lift it up high enough on the front cross member to get the two axle stands under. Tried jacking one side up first and supporting it, half way up on the second side, I heard cracking noises. Glanced over to the other axle stand to see it starting to rise off the floor on one side. :shock: 

Scrapped that idea.

I then realised my short arms are just long enough to reach under and get to the banjo bolt. Grabbed my 19mm socket and ratchet from shiney new Halfords socket set, and gave it a turn. Thankfully the bolt wasn't seized up and cracked off nicely!

The bolt I removed was the oily one below.
post-20071-0-27875000-1476026331_thumb.jpg
post-20071-0-36699400-1476026333_thumb.jpg

Using my Pela 6000, I sucked all the fluid out of the box again (3.2l or so came out), and then filled it up to 4l. I had my not so willing helper (wife) to start the car up, leaving it in park. Fluid came gushing out (about the same rate as a engine oil sump plug drains at), catching it into my tray underneath. Took 2l or so out and filled 2l back. I did this a good 4 times, with the last time only putting a litre back in.
post-20071-0-30860000-1476026329_thumb.jpg

By the last time, it was coming out nice cherry red.
post-20071-0-78377900-1476026326_thumb.jpg

For comparison, this what it looked like when I first had the car:
post-20071-0-91132100-1474483200.jpg

Now my final problem is that I can't find my Op-Com, so can't reset the gearbox adaptions :(

According to the Saab Workshop manual though, it only requires adaptation reset when you change the valve body, transmission or electronic control unit. So fingers crossed it will won't need it!

Right now, I'm just about to go out, warm it up to 80C, check the fluid level. If all good, then go for a test drive!

Either 3 things will happen.

• Fix the problem,
  • Make no difference when warm,
  • Leave the transmission with no drive at all - if I have just extracted all the friction material by doing this flush...

Car, it's your last chance!!   :brutal_42:

Nup. Still banging, flairing and shunting when hot. :(

Nowhere near as bad as it used to be though. It used to really shake the car when it changed gears.

Most likely something deep in the box or valve body. I have no more ATF to be able to get the valve body out and I need to make a decision with it in a week or two on what I'm going to do with it.

Nah. I cleared all codes yesterday. Only code there before clearing was an old code about loosing contact with coolant sensor. I then got the P1231 above when I scanned later.

I wish I knew where my op-com was. I'd like to know what it would be like if I cleared the adaptations.

Pretty sure this cars fate is sealed...

Unless anyone on here wants to buy it for scrap monies (whatever that is)? It has a genuine coil pack, SID has all the pixels and most of the stuff is working ok to salvage parts off. The guy I bought it from happily drove it from Cambridge to Bristol (180 miles) - so probably get you home if you are doing a collection with mostly motorway driving.

Man this is annoying. I just put all the cars back in their rightful place (i.e. 2 on drive and 1 on road). But before that, I took the Saucy Saab for a good blizzow locally around the block.

Its great fun driving cars that you know are at the end of its life! Blasting around and not giving a crap that its still cold is very liberating. Also frustrating, as it pulls really well still, the turbo is very smooth in its power delivery and generally a lovely thing to drive. Also handles pretty well (much better than the Laguna) and absorbs the bumps. If it wasn't for the stupid gearbag being troublesome when warm, it would be great car.

Gah. :-(

The squeaky fan belt when cold on my XM turned out to be the bottom pulley shagged.

Buy another car, same model and keep this one for spares.

This would be a great thing, however considering that owning 4 cars went down like a lead balloon with the wife, not very viable!

I wish I lived in the countryside with a decent big drive/field/garden that I could do this.