SiC's Silver Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector - Gone!

SiC

I wouldn't want an auto with a high powered turbo engine...it feels right to me to be able to drop a cog myself to get it on boost to time an overtake correctly.

Also, I don't have much faith in Volvo or Saab automatics...

You've still got a stirry stick if you want to knock the revs up early.

But imo automatics work bestest with a decent petrol engine. Tootle around all civilised, lazy and nice. Want to go over there? Just plant your toe to the carpet and go.

Wooooooooooooooosh. Grin.

I'll definitely concede to the superiority of automatics in getting the fuck out of junctions and onto roundabouts quickly. My mum's 1.8 Astra (140hp version) is hilariously good at that.

My S60's first gear, on the other hand, is spectacularly useless.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My 9-5 rarely gets the toe down, but sometimes I just press "s" and sink the foot and I remember it's really quite swift. They do suit an auto, it has 1 more gear than auto's need, but 1 less to go wrong than the newer ones. I wouldn't waste any time on this one-time sell the engine to an astra fiddler and buy a nice aero estate before people wake up to them. I had a 900 T16s when they were around for 3-400 quid...if only I'd known.

My 9-5 rarely gets the toe down, but sometimes I just press "s" and sink the foot and I remember it's really quite swift. They do suit an auto, it has 1 more gear than auto's need, but 1 less to go wrong than the newer ones. I wouldn't waste any time on this one-time sell the engine to an astra fiddler and buy a nice aero estate before people wake up to them. I had a 900 T16s when they were around for 3-400 quid...if only I'd known.

The 5spd autos have the advantage of torque converter lockup in 3rd (great for me in a slow city) and manual mode (great for when the box is broken and you need to guide it). :)

Essential pre-MOT maintenance.

post-20071-0-12497600-1476909758_thumb.jpg

Got 2 out of the 3 (!) pairs of washer jets working. Should be enough!

post-20071-0-68399400-1476909753_thumb.jpg

There has been a vibration in the cabin that has really been bugging me. Anyway I pushed the glove box earlier and the rattle stopped. A quick tighten of all the torx headed bolts in the glove box area found the bracket bolt completely loose. Now tightened, shes so much smoother and quieter when idling!

post-20071-0-10144400-1476909750_thumb.jpg

The only rattle left is the busted gearbox mount. I'll get this done if the gearbox solenoids can be fixed. Well it'll make sense to replace it when I have the valve body out, as the bracket for it will have to come off.

I'm mostly nervous about the gearbox crapping out on the way in rush hour! Not just the mayhem (and embarrassment) it'd cause in Bristol traffic, but also I don't want to be late to work while waiting for a recovery truck...

I measured the tyres. 4mm ish on the fronts, 2mm to 3mm on the back, except the inside edge on one is right near the wear limit. So hopefully that inside edge is just good enough to pass.

I measured the tyres. 4mm ish on the fronts, 2mm to 3mm on the back, except the inside edge on one is right near the wear limit. So hopefully that inside edge is just good enough to pass.

That's the attitude I'm taking with the rear tyres on the Xantia, they should be *just* legal enough to pass, then I'll lob a set of part worns on to get through winter or summat, cant afford new tyres this year now.

She got there all ok! Took 25 minutes which wasn't too bad, last 10 minutes or so was stationary and stop+start traffic. The box started to bang a little bit, but only the occasional shift and even then it wasn't drive-train ripping bad.

Fingers crossed!

I kinda want it to fail, as I can't be arsed getting underneath to fix it. :D

Wayhay! Just had a phone call too.

The DVLA MOT site must update instantly.

Advisory notice item(s)

nearside front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

offside front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

nearside rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

offside rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Oil leak ()