SiC's Silver Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector - Gone!

SiC

She flew thru the emissions the tester said! Looking at the number though, doesn't look that spectacularly clean.

post-20071-0-41009500-1476982328_thumb.jpg

Hopefully these may help. £8.50 with postage for 4, I didn't even know they were genuine parts when I ordered - bargain! I realised later the eBay seller is a Saab dealer.

post-20071-0-21947300-1476982469_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it'll help make her run a bit smoother too. Going to have ago cleaning the throttle body as the idle can, on occasions be unstable. Unstable idles do nothing to help my nerves when stuck in traffic...

Also, did you actually tell them what issues it had, and that their decision would decide its future or just hand them the keys and wander off?

Did you have to excuse the state of the tyres or not bother?

Nah, I know the guys well, so I end up giving it's life story before hand. I'm sure they don't really care! I think they find it quite funny that I drive around in mostly old crap.

I'm a bit nervous about making it worse. From the rebuild videos, they show you taking the valves apart. The problem with that is you have to remove the Allen key bolt that is calibrated by the factory for the correct pressure for a particular valve block. If it's not back in the correct position, you have not enough pressure so no drive, or too much and then damage.

Pretty bloody good show by the old bus there! 200k up AND done over 20k in the last year.

You've got to fix it after that performance!

To be honest, it's had an easy life as the majority of its miles have been from cruising on the motorway. City life is going to be much tougher on it.

I'm a bit nervous about making it worse. From the rebuild videos, they show you taking the valves apart. The problem with that is you have to remove the Allen key bolt that is calibrated by the factory for the correct pressure for a particular valve block. If it's not back in the correct position, you have not enough pressure so no drive, or too much and then damage.

Can you mark the head and block, then count the turns?

Wow. She seems to like the present I gave her for passing her MOT! Starts so much easier and is so much smoother with these new plugs. I also replaced all the perished vacuum lines - except the turbo, they'd been done last year and it tells. Gave a quick clean around the throttle body close position too.

All these things seems to have made a massive difference to the idling and running. Idling you used to often get hunting and also driving along this hunting turned into lurches. There is still a rattle from the knackered engine torque rod mount, which is also not helping with shifting smoothness.

Apart from the knackard gearbox valves, the only things left are fixing the interior fan and putting new batteries in the keyfob to get the remote locking working again.

I've got a good mate around at the weekend, so wont get spare time to start on the valve block unfortunately. I need a good whole day to do it. Despite what people have suggested on here, I'm definitely no pro shitter! [Over] ambitious maybe, slow definitely...

I also am very weary of going under cars, which doesn't help my enthusiasm with mechanical repairs. Unlike most, I much prefer electrical & electronic repairs! I was hoping when I bought this car, it would be more of a electronics project than mechanical. :?

This valve body repair is pretty much at the limit on how far I want to go with mechanical repairs. I'm also trying my best to source a decent price second hand replacement valves body. Will make the job a hell a lot quicker and less risky if I can.

Mornings fight with a Saab 9-3 in my local U-pull-it won me this prize for £40...

post-20071-0-21830100-1477148322_thumb.jpg

No idea if it is any good, but the fluid that came out looked pretty good nick and the miles was low on it. The earth strap at the bottom was broken on it and tyres were skinny with one ripped sidewall. I wonder if the earth strap made it FTP and the owner just chucked it??

Still for £40, it's a pretty darn good price. The B on the valve body means it's the revised version (which should be on mine).

I did break the green connector, then realised I didnt need to be careful abd could just cut the loom off instead. So will need a zip tie to make sure it stays on and figure out how to get the other connectors detached. The 3 big linear solenoids (they control the pressures in the box) have those stupid connectors, while the smaller solenoid (do the actual shifting) have a much better clip fitting. It's the linear solenoids that usually cause the problem.

The 9-5 looks a lot easier to change the valve body over as there is much more room under there. On 9-3 that this was from had a whole load more pipes in the way and is a smaller car. The intention is to swap it straight over and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then it allows me to clean up and fiddle the original one to try and get that working. However I suspect, given it looked like the fluid in the car it was from, had been changed at some point in its life, this one should work fine.

The professional cynic in me wonders if the fresh looking fluid has anything to do with the orange gasket sealer on that sump. It's like it's been off recently for repair and then the car got scrapped...

Good luck though, hopefully it's good!

The professional cynic in me wonders if the fresh looking fluid has anything to do with the orange gasket sealer on that sump. It's like it's been off recently for repair and then the car got scrapped...

Good luck though, hopefully it's good!

All the torx bolts all looked untouched, unchewed and unmarked though. Saab workshop manual does advise that there is no gasket, only RTV. Took a good whack with my mallet to free it.

I think I've left one of my decent small, flat headed screwdrivers behind. Well annoyed. :(