Mannol Extreme engine oil any good.

Vince70

I normally buy my service items for the cars off car parts for less but I thought I would do some trawling on eBay for parts as it's far easier with the one click now button and picked up a couple of Fram filters for the BMWs for the same price as the crosland items at around £3.80 which are NOS and came across Mannol extreme oil at £17.49 for 5 litres.

Now I've not seen the make at any motor factors before and it meets every requirement on the spec sheet and a few more besides and wondered if it's worth putting in the car or is it just cats piss.

I don't do many miles between oil changes to be honest on average I would say I would go 3000 miles before I change the stuff but I do sometimes leave it about a year and a half before I do change my oil as I just don't use the cars that much these days, so wondered if anyone has used Mannol oil.

I normally buy my service items for the cars off car parts for less but I thought I would do some trawling on eBay for parts as it's far easier with the one click now button and picked up a couple of Fram filters for the BMWs for the same price as the crosland items at around £3.80 which are NOS and came across Mannol extreme oil at £17.49 for 5 litres.

Now I've not seen the make at any motor factors before and it meets every requirement on the spec sheet and a few more besides and wondered if it's worth putting in the car or is it just cats piss.

I don't do many miles between oil changes to be honest on average I would say I would go 3000 miles before I change the stuff but I do sometimes leave it about a year and a half before I do change my oil as I just don't use the cars that much these days, so wondered if anyone has used Mannol oil.

The API rating should be reassurance enough - but I'm not a chemist.

The cheapest decent oil I've found is when ECP have a sale on - I think I got two litres of 10W/40 semi synth for the Piazza for something daft like £2.90.

I have never heard of Mannol oil. People always have strong views on oil; my own opinion is that, if you want to keep the car long-term and the engine is in good condition, buy a good quality oil. On the other hand, if the engine is knackered, cheap shit is the order of the day.

If the engines knackered I wouldn't bother changing it. What good would it do. I've known people run engines that burn oil due to to the rings being worn, to chuck any oil they can get hold of, even used oil to keep it going. I mean if the engines got something chronic up with it, why waste money on Mobil 1?

If the engines knackered I wouldn't bother changing it. What good would it do. I've known people run engines that burn oil due to to the rings being worn, to chuck any oil they can get hold of, even used oil to keep it going. I mean if the engines got something chronic up with it, why waste money on Mobil 1?

That makes sense and i agree but I don't think his engine's knackered unless I've missed something?

The engines in both cars are in good nick and don't use a drop of oil with one on 58000 and the other on 60000 and both motors have the same N/A petrol lumps.

I think I will give it a go as it meets BMW ll04 and my old cars only need BMW ll98 and its synthetic .

It's a bloody pain it was a lot easier back in the day when cheap old 20/50 would go in any old motor.

I've got Mannoil in the transmissions on either the scooby or landcruiser, no funny noises yet.

I usually buy Morris Fuchs or Millers engine oils, in no particular order just whatever happens to be a 20 or 25 litre bargain pack, standard 5w40 full synthetic, i'd have no qualms about buying Mannoil.

Half the trouble with modern engines disintegrating, 1.6 Hdi turbos? German timing chains of doom anyone?, is that due to having to woo the fleet/lease market the cunts have somehow got joe public convinced that they can leave the same oil in for 20k miles or more, its utter bollocks...mind you how often do you ever see a bonnet up where you live, i've never seen anyone near us working on their cars, i bet half the sods wouldn't know where the bonnet pull is, do they live under an illusion that they don't need to check their oil level for that 20k?

The only problem is although the oil is BMW LL04 approved I've bought 5w 30 rather than 5w 40 by mistake.. So should I worry about that as the book says I should be using 5w 40 or 10w 40

The car is mainly used from September till March so it shouldn't get that hot under the bonnet.

• 5 years later...

Ancient topic, I know, but thought I'd throw in something.

I've been using Mannol Extreme 5w40 in my bike the past thousand miles or so. If it's any good it will last until 2000 miles then shear out. No oil lasts beyond that, even Mobil 1.

My gearbox is a bastard to oil.