The Autoshite holy grail is now one of us!

trigger

I wonder why they did the grey grille? Was it to try and calm the shattered nerves of Cortina buyers, used to a big plastic lumpy front? Or was it genuinely cheaper to make that way? Equally with the mirrors, surely it adds cost to have two types of mirror. Bizarre.

Still love it though.

It was Autoglym's idea, its the same year that bumper care trim gel was released  :mrgreen:

Having just read the whole thread in 1 go, this has put a big smile on my face too considering where some of the earlier discussion was going. Like a overly long running serial drama I was thinking "just get it bought already". Looks like it hopefully will be!

I have no affinity to Sierras per se, but I wholeheartedly support the idea of this being kept mostly as is.

I can't afford to put money in the pot but I am happy to create a commemorative piece of artwork of this vehicle free of charge once it's been collected.  You'll have to fight over who gets the original artwork though.  Digital copies can be provided gratis to all.  I imagine I could do prints at cost which would be something like £3 A4 inc. postage

For more examples of my stuff, go here: http://autoshite.com/topic/15640-vulgalour-arts-of-2014-1001-panhard/

Deal agreed :-D   Deposit being arranged.  

We have multiple contributors on board - I'll probably set up a crowdfunding site at the weekend so anyone who wants to chip in, can.

This is brilliant! I really love this car and I'm so glad some of you lot are going to step in and take it on. I too will chip in a bit of cash for it.

Top work fellas.

I can only try and imagine the telephone conversation with the current elderly owner...

"Hi, your chavvy grandson gave me your number. I'd like to buy your Sierra, please."

"I still need it to visit the chemists later, but I can meet you after I've applied the cream."

"Not a problem. There's a group of us buying it, but I'm the chosen one who has the pleasure of taking first drive."

"A group of you? Why's that?"

"We are like-minded individuals who recognise an icon when we see one. Several others are chipping in with crowdfunding."

"Oh. It's not got any warranty mind, and I'll need the front seat covers back. You may want to put some oil in it as well."

I'd be intrigued to know if the conversation is even slightly along those lines.

Great to see this happen though!

AngryDicky has paid the deposit and BorniteIdentity and I are shaping up a plan to collect it tomorrow.  JohnK and Cheggers really got things moving in the background too.

Thanks to everyone who has said nice things and/or offered to contribute, we'll get something sorted over the weekend.  Much excitement all round!

I am actually cackling with laughter at the prospect.

I just love the idea of skizzer in a high viz jacket, marshalling the Sierra down the ramps of the trailer.... me, truckers arm already bronzed, gingerly reversing her down next to a concourse MK1 Ghia that's won "best in show" every year for the last eleventy years.

Park up. Say nothing. Dead pan.  

Trailer???????  You mean you wouldn't drive it there?  Oh wait, it's a Sierra, I understand.  The model that preceded it was a vast improvement in every way.

However, as others have said, I am actually glad that a base model in true timewarp condition has been saved for posterity.  Well done chaps!