Motoring fashions that have died out

John F

Neon coloured windscreen wiper boots. Mate had one on a brown allegro.

I believe the name Richard Grant or Carlo Carlini might have been involved....

I had pink ones on a signal yellow Granada Coupe.Pink twin blade wipers too  :oops:

Those 'lexus' lights, either aftermarket or oem inspired by the rear lights off an IS200... Always made me vom a little whenever I saw those... Haven't seen a cd hanging from the rear view mirror for a while but I never understood what that was all about

That was rumored (in my neck of the woods) to have the effect of jamming police radars. 

CDs in the window does nothing to laser detectors. 

In fact if you're talking handheld, then the last cop I spoke to said they were trained to point it at a flat, vertical, shiny surface for best results - which is one of the reasons you're not meant to use sticky numberplates on the bonnet any more, a numberplate forms a great laser target :)

So, if you've got CDs on the front of your vehicle, like some truckers I've seen, you are kind of making it easy. Actually you need to coat your car in carbon nanotubes which absorb light.

Headlight protectors.

Y'know, the clear plastic thingies that went over the headlights, shaped for each model of car. Those were ace.

I have a couple of BX pairs and they do look good but s/h they're now worth more than new headlights and probably crack more often.

"back off or I will fart" , "My other car is a Porsche " etc fucking hilarious window stickers

Slick 50 window stickers

those triangle pennant stickers that you would buy on holiday to stick in the back of Dads Cortina Estate

front opening quarterlights. great for quick windscreen demist and smokers

In car record player, 8 track, cassette players etc

Pull up radio aerials

chrome hubcaps

wheel embellishers

etc

my daily driver is 1993 and tbh that is about as new as I will probably go!

CDs in the window does nothing to laser detectors. 

In fact if you're talking handheld, then the last cop I spoke to said they were trained to point it at a flat, vertical, shiny surface for best results - which is one of the reasons you're not meant to use sticky numberplates on the bonnet any more, a numberplate forms a great laser target :)

So, if you've got CDs on the front of your vehicle, like some truckers I've seen, you are kind of making it easy. Actually you need to coat your car in carbon nanotubes which absorb light.

I'll pop out for some nano tubes then.