Motoring fashions that have died out

John F

Bolt On spot lights

When I got my SIII LR it came with four Ring Rally Giants attached to the bull bar. About a week after I bought it I was out in the sticks on some unlit back road, 'This should be good,' I thought.

It wasn't.

There was a blinding light for about three seconds, followed by total darkness, then the switch melted and the wiring caught fire. The stupid bastard who fitted them clearly didn't know what relays were for, as he'd wired the whole lot straight into main beam. The 'fuse' didn't blow because it was a nail wrapped in Baco Foil. Thus began seven years of complete and utter misery...

The stick on door keyhole surrounds that used to say the make or model, probably to hide grot or a break in attempt.

Massiv ICE installs with amp, sub and loads of speakers, seems to have died out mostly in the early 00s.

Cars blasting out 90s dance music, usually on Galaxy FM.

Beaded seat covers, and the baggy, ill fitting seat cover kits you could get from Argos and the like.

Giffer spec crooklocks.

Don't know what your all on about here everyday I see a car with a "ridiculess earth strap that doesn't reach the floor" a chrome exhaust tip and to stop thieves and auto lock handbrake/gear-lever lock.

Ooh that's just me and my old chod

Those plastic chrome effect pipes you stuck on the end of a standard exhaust pipe to try and fool people into thinking you had an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

Mate of mine had one on his X reg Polo, which was an endless source of amusement.

You'll have a right old laugh at these then, they're stuck to the bumper.

post-3751-0-03956600-1458067279_thumb.jpg

I guess if this is in the back of a car that's just been involved in a major accident it may prompt any rescue workers or witnesses to check again.

That, after all, was their purpose. Not as many think - to get other drivers off your arse.

Morons driving with front fogs perma-illuminated is rife!

I attribute it to aspirational paupers wishing for a newer vehicle equipped with DRL's - and thankfully they are yet to discover the 'Ring' lighting range.

How they long for the day when they too can charge down a fog blanketed motorway with no lighting whatsoever active on the rear of their modern.