Volvo 740 lockdown fettle/ fuck up...

aldo135

My 740 was registered in September '89, so yeah it must have been late. Last time I met the Scotoshite team it was parked beside Dave's facelift and Neil Ross' 760. They are all of a similar age but different, what were Volvo thinking?!!!

Does this mean roughly 1989 to 1992 you could go to a showroom and buy a 240 740 or 940 brand new?

(I can tell the difference between the Volvos in the last picture)

post-4295-0-33998200-1517258266_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-33027700-1517258284_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-39498100-1517258338_thumb.jpeg

The 240 actually outlasted the 740; in for MY90 and MY91 you could buy 240, 740, 760 and 940 IIRC, 960 replacing 760 during MY91, 740 finally bowing out in MY92 and 240 bowing out in MY93.

I've got a G-reg flatface but it's a bit fucked sadly :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got used to getting the odd wave from fellow brick lickers, young and old, but meeting yours again the other week was a pleasure.

My thought process went 'Alan's got a white G plate 745...I wonder if...oh it is!'. Good to see it rolling along.

Funnily enough, I ended up taking a wrong turn in Dundee a while back, because a red H plate 940 hover into view. When I caught up with the lad on one of the Scottish Volvo FB groups later on, he said he'd done the same staring at the turbo brick!

• 1 month later...

The plan for now is to run the 850 as a daily and let the 740 return to back up/ Sunday best, it still scrubs up really well considering its age and recent daily activity.

I really should have one car that can average more than 30mpg, and 320T Neil's Oxford has me daydreaming of owning something properly old again, but I'm happy for now. Anyway, I might win RobT's Xantia on Wednesday!

Yeah January was a long time ago...

When I seen Iain_Split Pin put his Megane up for sale, I was taken by surprise, as I knew it had just passed an MOT and he had recently had the timing belt replaced. Reading his thread I remembered him saying at a previous Scotoshite meeting that he fancied a Rover 75 before prices increase. It nagged at me for a few hours so I put the 850 up for a roffle / sale to see if there was any interest then went to bed. I woke to find 2 shiters had expressed an interest (that's quite a statement) and by lunchtime RML Adrian (a previous owner of my 850 and current Rover 75 driver) had agreed to buy it back! Now if only Iain could find an available 75...

I don't get many racy text messages these days but when Iain text me saying he had spoken to Adrian and was I interested in a 3 way transaction I was properly excited! We met in the same car park we have our monthly meets, Adrian bought my 850 but the guys needed a couple of days to mull things over, Iain drove me home in the Megane and I thought that was it, better buy some more roffle tickets for the ZX! My wife even started suggesting we could get by with one car... erm no. Thankfully the 75 won Mr Split Pin over and we completed our 3 way swap yesterday. I'm really pleased with my purchase, it drives really well and has obviously been well looked after, not least by Iain. It feels tiny but very comfortable like a french car should be, its nippy too. Completed its first day doing the school run, soft play visit and trip to Lidl without any fuss, and seems perfect for the job.

So I've given up a Volvo but I've still got my 740, and I think these 2 complement each other better than the 740/850 did. So yeah I'm happy for now, like I said 2 months ago...

post-4295-0-00805500-1521500436_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-30010700-1521500449_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-15175500-1521500471_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-79469300-1521500487_thumb.jpeg

Those Autoshite AC stickers were made up on computer by someone on here but I followed it through so there are only 3 in existence!

So glad you like it, I was so impressed with it during my ownership and it is one of the last Renaults with proper character. Its definitely gone to a good home.

Of course if you outgrow it, its always welcome back West again ;)

Ooohhh a cobalt blue series 3 XJ and in Daimler flavour no less. Lovely

Oh, and some old red french thing.  8)

It was a lovely car, a Daimler Double Six no less! We had parked at a soft play next door to a Premier Inn, where it was parked across from these beauties!

post-4295-0-17260200-1521553186_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The odometer has never worked in the time I've owned my 740, which given the fuel gauge has a mind of its own has lead to a few nervous journeys. My SVM chums told me it would almost certainly be caused by a "cog of cheese" losing teeth while being reset on the move. Thankfully an online Volvo cheesemonger had the correct cog in stock (tenner for a part the size of a 5p piece!) and only a year later i bravely removed the speedo from its housing and stripped it to reveal the cog of cheese was indeed gubbed, you can see the broken teeth still in the grooves! Refitting was a reversal of removal... actually the only nippy bit was getting the speedo needle back on correctly, I used this excellent guide linked off of the Volvo forum http://www.240turbo.com/740-odometer-repair.html and it was spot on.

The odometer and speedo are both working perfectly and accurately, as just proved on a drive tonight to meet fellow Scotoshiters for dinner. It may well be a most minor repair but is a big deal to this novice, finishing a job quickly in one go, and having ordered the right part! Another wee job ticked off the list...

post-4295-0-37902300-1522281576_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-88501200-1522281588_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-51358800-1522281600_thumb.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Mr Touring you may have predicted something with your last post... Took the 740 over to Mull last week, 3 adults 3 kids and a weeks luggage on the roof. went fine until halfway through the week, when start stop driving along a single track road, the auto box started to make a weird noise pulling away, this might sound daft but it's like the noise a plane makes when the wheels come out/tuck in! Checked the fluid and found it was below the minimum and getting a bit dark, so topped it up. This made gearchanges smoother but didn't stop the noise. It randomly cut out a couple of times too but I think that's unrelated, think the fuel pump and or relay may be at fault there. Made it back to the ferry ok, but the extra weight on board (not meaning the mother in law of course) helped show up how knackered the back springs are. This fault and my shit driving helped pull half the exhaust off the car when departing from the ferry! It was bent right back so couldn't even bodge it back on! Stuck it on the roof rack and drove up very loudly to a branch of mcconechy's who were great to be fair, heated and bent it back to shape, refitted with 2 new hangers and only charged £18! Managed to get back from Oban to Edinburgh without any more drama, but when I checked the 'box it was back to minimum. I then noticed how dark the coolant header tank was... yes the atf is in there, must be leaking in the radiator and making brown mayo. Pricing up a new rad to fit and flush the system then the gearbox, but I fear the 'box is knackered, it's on roughly 250k. So may be time to look at different options. I do need a 7 seater that works though, having bad dreams featuring the threat of moderns and loan repayments!

post-4295-0-75903000-1531870891_thumb.jpeg

post-4295-0-02235200-1531870903_thumb.jpeg

Yeah it shares the main radiator for cooling, looks like £130 for a new one. Just feeling a bit meh about it, and the ever extending list of what may need done! It could be £300 for a replacement gearbox, there was a whole car on here a while back with a 2.3 manual for that price! Something like that that I could strip all that was needed and transfer to my car may be better, give a good bit more poke and probably provide better economy too!

That sucks! It’s got to be worth a try changing the rad and flushing the autobox? Fingers crossed the box will be ok once that’s done.

If it helps, my old saloon did exactly this and it survived it without damage so hopefully yours will too.

My new estate I changed the rad regardless tbh, it’s a fairly common issue on these so at least I know the rads good for some time now.