Volvo 740 lockdown fettle/ fuck up...

aldo135

When I did mine I think I still had a full sump of old oil and it just circulated as it normally would, except the pipes were now disconnected so it couldn’t actually circulate in a closed system so it spat the old oil straight out and sucked the new in. You’ve just got to be careful you don’t allow it to run dry!

I remember doing it, as you can literally watch the fluid come out and it very obviously starts a dirty watery manky colour then gradually turns cherry red as the new oil starts to come through. 

The 740 I’ve got now, didn’t have this problem as I changed the radiator for other reasons so the coolant didn’t mix! The old ATF was dirty and old though so on this one I just drained the oil from the sump, changed the autobox filter, new sump gasket and refilled it via the dipstick hole. Then fire it up, cycle through the gears and get it warm, then check oil level. I could do with changing the oil again soon though.

*im fairly sure it was the old 740 saloon I did this with, but there’s a chance it might have been my old mk2 Granada... can’t see it making a difference though!

Edit;

Thinking about this, I think I did do the old 740 but I put a funnel and length of fuel hose down the dipstick tube to fill it up as the outlet pumped the old oil out. You’ve got to try to keep pace with the pump as you pour the new oil into the funnel.

oh, and don’t rev it when your doing this!

My current one is a ZF, I can’t remember which way round it is, but I’m sure with one of the two boxes there’s thinking that you can damage them by revving the engine while it’s in P (or possibly N, my memory is shit!) as the oil pump doesn’t work in those gear positions, or something like that anyway.

aldo, did you get a new autobox filter? Might be a good opportunity to replace it?