Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Momentous day for my Mini Mayfair yesterday, it moved under its own power for the first time in in 25 years

Six-cylinder

On 19/10/2023 at 20:28, Six-cylinder said:

It is, but it weights 7 1/2 tons and is 2 wheel drive with worn tyres so I think there was only a 80% it would not get stuck! 

Back hoe push, drop front bucket, bring in back hoe, pull with front bucket......
Rinse, repeat...
Gets the JCB out but adds cross hatchings to your furrows.
If Mrs 6C is anything like Mrs EWS than this will really win* you brownie points - ask me how I know :-)

15 hours ago, hairnet said:

500 pages ffs :D

Oh yes 500 pages of my me, me and me waffle!

It is why I mainly write in my own thread, if I added this to 24 hour news it would have a bigger audience, but I am sure I would offend people who do want to hear so much about my stuff. Also I don’t feel I could include updates on the cars such as the Rolls Royce and Range Rover in a general thread and would need to stick to more core Autoshite cars.   

• Like 3

This weekend has been a fix the white BX weekend by @juular, he has been going hard at it and is progressing.

He invited his own small support crew who came to a damp cold field in North Buckinghamshire to help and have takeaways in a cold barn. The diesel heater works well but the warm air is lost in the open barn.

It set me thinking about a general invite Winter FoD meeting and if we set up the 3m x 6m party tent inside the barn I think the diesel heater would be effective in there. You can’t drive on the grass in winter without damaging it or getting stuck so I don’t think it would be so much a doing event as a social gathering. You could still car camp in the yard if you like or tent camp if you carried your tent to your chossen spot.

Is there an appetite for such an event, say the Christmas week?

IMG_20231021_173905 broad.jpg

IMG_20231021_174456 broad.jpg

IMG_20231021_203225 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Chistmas week FoD anybody?

Monday and Tuesday Christmas week is a bank holiday so that's easy! I've then got the kids Wednesday, if it's Thursday or Friday I'll have to bring the work laptop and WFB

Good plan though! Could you clear it out enough to get the big party marquee in? Sounds like a big job in itself 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

carried your tent 

IMG_20231021_173905 broad.jpg

what is this foreign word of which you speak

also that pic it looks like flowler is gonna miss his pod once the bx gets running :D

Pin a couple of tarps over the open doors?  With a couple of layers that can actually be surprisingly effective at keeping heat in.  We survived most of December and January in the mid 90s with a significant portion of the rear wall of our living room basically being that when some renovation work turned out to be a little more...shall we simply say "involved" than had originally been budgeted for.  Wasn't exactly toasty, but the ratty old gas fire mostly kept up.

• Like 2

I haven't had a lot of time or weather for car tinkering this week but today is a good day.

I have collected the MG TF with a fresh MOT. It has had a bit of welding, a new catalytic converter and service. Then just to test my resolve to drive around in winter in a low slung soft top the alternator stopped charging while still with my favourite garage. Thank you to @Andyrew who rushed around and found me a new one and delivered it to my house Monday. I took it to my usual garage and yesterday they messaged to say it was all done.

The Yellow peril has even managed to sneak into the garage for a while because I want to give it a polish before I start using it.

As unusual as it may seem @Slowsilver came to help me today, we put Error 404 into storage to dry out as it is leaking rain water into the cabin badly. I sent him home with some homework, to see if he can fix the broken wire in the Saab 95 fuel sender unit.

The Metro has also been put into storage and SORN declared, but my Seicento is back out and about for a while.

IMG_20231026_124736 broad.jpg

IMG_20231026_125153 broad.jpg

IMG_20231026_125437 broad.jpg

IMG_20231026_153609 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Yellow has MOT!
25 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I've walked around the lake, but never been on the railway.  I kind of assumed that it would be owned by 235 (white) retired men with beards via some sort of charitable trust. 

During lockdown I had discussions with the lake committee chairman, about testing an amphibious automotomus track laying vehicle, with a military application, in the lake and even did a risk assessment. In the end we found a more suitable* location. 

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Will it be fixed and mot'd in time to be a winter beater? 

It should be ready by Christmas.

Lights to fit and I have 4 replacment tyres that @Andyrew has volunteered  to fit on the rims.

I believe the rest of the list is done thanks to @Talbot

Front indicator not working. FIXED

N/S anti-rollbar link knackered.  FIXED (both sides changed)

Horn not working.  FIXED

Nearside brake lamp inoperative.  FIXED

Oil leak from engine.  Will be fixed when I get some repair goop for the rocker cover gasket.

Nearside Steering Rack Gaiter knackered.   FIXED.

z MOT fail list june 2023.jpg

Very happy to see the parts have made it to you!

They have had quite the journey from multiple suppliers around Melbourne, to my home near Sydney and across the world to the UK.

IMG_5684.thumb.jpeg.20a7b3242d6b8df4441855c999aa734e.jpeg

Not to mention being chauffeured around in the the back of my Corolla.

IMG_5729.thumb.jpeg.7f064166695240f8098b8732b3364da8.jpeg

Bring on the MOT and long live the Sigma!

8 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Very happy to see the parts have made it to you!

They have had quite the journey from multiple suppliers around Melbourne, to my home near Sydney and across the world to the UK.

IMG_5684.thumb.jpeg.20a7b3242d6b8df4441855c999aa734e.jpeg

Not to mention being chauffeured around in the the back of my Corolla.

IMG_5729.thumb.jpeg.7f064166695240f8098b8732b3364da8.jpeg

Bring on the MOT and long live the Sigma!

If you ever spot a Magna/Verada TR TS KR KS in the wild please photograph it for me.

• Agree 1

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

If you ever spot a Magna/Verada TR TS KR KS in the wild please photograph it for me.

I will need to track down a photo of the one Dad had as the family wagon when I was a kid, the one that got me hooked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I will need to track down a photo of the one Dad had as the family wagon when I was a kid, the one that got me hooked.

I didn't realise you had one as a family car.

They were a rare choice in the UK and I don't remember anybody I knew having one. Working in the parts motor trade I do not remember anybody asking for parts although that would have been an early car in the 1980s or even later in the motor trade ever being offered one in PX.

Always aware of them it was a visit by @mitsisigma01in 2016 with this very car that awakened the intrest. 

• Like 1

Thanks to my Dad being an early adopter of the digital camera and working in IT back in the '90s and '00s he has all his photos neatly filed on a hard drive. So a quick phone call and an email later and I have the photo of the family TR Magna wagon when it was sold.

It was the family car from 2000 to 2007, Dad sold it to a group of back packers who were going to take it across Australia.

I have fond memories of "helping" Dad install a CD player and a pair of 6X9s in the boot.

DSCN1721.thumb.JPG.5fa20a3b13346d4465b1b4a0410c02cb.JPG

23 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Thanks to my Dad being an early adopter of the digital camera and working in IT back in the '90s and '00s he has all his photos neatly filed on a hard drive. So a quick phone call and an email later and I have the photo of the family TR Magna wagon when it was sold.

It was the family car from 2000 to 2007, Dad sold it to a group of back packers who were going to take it across Australia.

I have fond memories of "helping" Dad install a CD player and a pair of 6X9s in the boot.

DSCN1721.thumb.JPG.5fa20a3b13346d4465b1b4a0410c02cb.JPG

Thank you for finding the picture of your dads old car for us.

Next I need some help to get the car moved to the house and wheels taken off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I like the fact that David Conway's is white  because I have a blue C15 model to represent our white van. I can't find it on eBay yet but probabley won't buy it anyway.

Did you know I also once owned a red C15 van, I bought it without MOT and the deal with the seller was it should pass with a little work. Turned out it needed extesnsive welding and the seller gave me my money back without any argument. I was disapointed but not out of pocket and I had bought the model, hence the red van.

IMG_20231030_213625 broad.jpg

C15 Van ns front broad.jpg

• Like 1

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Spooks day but I went into my garage alone to polish the MG TF.

I realised I was not alone and some sort of demon was making noises in there. I looked around and the sounds came from different parts of the garage maybe there was more than one demon in there with me.

Finally I caught site of the demon, turned out to be a small bird. It’s not that cold so I opened the garage door and carried on polishing thinking the bird would simply fly out. No I watched it fly out twice and straight back in, so the fun began it did not like the dark and I had to set up some lights outside and turn the garage lights off.

Yellow is now polished ready for a small car breakfast gathering in Milton Keynes Sunday morning, all welcome if you want to join me.

IMG_20231031_194554 with arrow to bird broad.jpg

IMG_20231031_194447 crop bird broad.jpg