Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - It's not what you think!

Six-cylinder

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I think the answer has to be it comes to us and get stripped quickly so the shell can go away.

You can strip a Saxo in a few hours easily. 

12 hours ago, Talbot said:

That mower really is on it's last legs isn't it.

@Slowsilveris doing his best you know. He’s likethe faithful old retainer kept on for sentimental reasons ;-) 

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I feel we have enough vehicles on site at the moment. Having the parts there is fine.

Very easy solution to that... The Saxo gets cut off at the bottom of the A-pillars and across the floor at the bottom of the bulkhead.  All the useful bits are kept, 80% of the volume of the vehicle is cut up and weighed in almost immediately.

9 hours ago, Talbot said:

Very easy solution to that... The Saxo gets cut off at the bottom of the A-pillars and across the floor at the bottom of the bulkhead.  All the useful bits are kept, 80% of the volume of the vehicle is cut up and weighed in almost immediately.

See below

14 hours ago, Ghosty said:

You can strip a Saxo in a few hours easily. 

13 hours ago, richardmorris said:

@Slowsilveris doing his best you know. He’s like the faithful old retainer kept on for sentimental reasons ;-) 

Except that the faithful old retainer usually gets a tied cottage and a wage, but not in this case 😀.

7 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Except that the faithful old retainer usually gets a tied cottage and a wage, but not in this case 😀.

I'd bring that up with the executive management !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

I did, but they just told me to get back to work.

He deliberately cut the drive belt on the mower so he didn't have to do any more grass cutting!

IMG_20210811_161114 crop mower broad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

@Slowsilveris doing his best you know. He’s likethe faithful old retainer kept on for sentimental reasons ;-) 

36 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

MV5BZmVjZjAzYTgtN2E1Zi00NTg0LWFhOGUtYWE3

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

I'm sure the caravan is available with en-suite facilities....

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

I'm sure the caravan is available with en-suite facilities....

Stevo, the caravan doesn't even have a FLOOR...! 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, Six-cylinder said:

For those who thought that just getting the CF2 recovery truck started and then earning lots of money working it may need to think again. They will need a whole roll duck tape!:D

IMG_20210811_144720 broad.jpg

WHOA THERE!  HOLD THAT BUS!  Have I missed something here?  What CF?  What spec?

51 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

WHOA THERE!  HOLD THAT BUS!  Have I missed something here?  What CF?  What spec?

Not your object of desire, this one is a 1987 CF2 diesel dually with a beaver tail recover body.

Bought as part of a collection of eight Vauxhall/Opels. 

IMG_20210805_124515 crop CF2 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_121440 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122355 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_121455 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122528 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122750 broad.jpg

MovingMoonMonkeysCavalier0004.jpg.b3c14dd18215bb20087a3e8b0eaecbc3 broad.jpg

12 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Stevo, the caravan doesn't even have a FLOOR...! 

Maybe the hole in the floor is some sort of primitive en-suite facility?

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not your object of desire, this one is a 1987 CF2 diesel dually with a beaver tail recover body.

Sir, could you please explain your intentions for the angel of the North? Do you feel strapping it to the bonnet of a mk1 Cav on the back of your transporter is an appropriate method of securing it? 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Sir, could you please explain your intentions for the angel of the North? Do you feel strapping it to the bonnet of a mk1 Cav on the back of your transporter is an appropriate method of securing it? 

It's mine now, I bought everything that was on and in the cars!

z Custard with Angel of the north.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

IMG_20210805_124515 crop CF2 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_121440 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122355 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_121455 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122528 broad.jpg

IMG_20210805_122750 broad.jpg

Oh thank you!  I hadn't noticed that one joining the fold, but as you say, it fails me on too many points.  What's the plan?  Fettle-up and use?

47 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Oh thank you!  I hadn't noticed that one joining the fold, but as you say, it fails me on too many points.  What's the plan?  Fettle-up and use?

It only joined a week ago and there is no plan yet. The prize was to get this 1976 Manta 1.9 auto Coupe, but I had to buy the package of 8 cars. Next weekend we are holding an open field event for shiters and I hope we can clean out and assess what we have as I was not allowed to inspect them before purchase and then formulate a plan.

Initial thoughts were to sell the CF2, but Mrs6C has taken a liking to it! She has invented a new rule where by it is ok for me to bring home random cars but if she likes it can take possession of it!

IMG_20210805_193418 broad.jpg

This week I have been looking for a new mower V drive belt, the one from the engine to the transmission. I would have thought a visit to George Brown our local agricultural dealer would have made it an easy purchase, but no. They have no listing for an old Westwood W8 mower so took the belt to the workshop  stores and came back empty handed saying he would ask his more experienced college to help. I waited around and eventually the college became free and again took my belt to the stores and returned empty handed. This time he said we don't have anything that matches the profile of your belt! I explained I believed it was a standard V belt badly worn and was met with a blank expression. He did offer to contact Westwood for a part number but I have heard no more from him.

I hope I have had more success with eBay belt purchase and while the W8 model was not specifically mentioned, Westwood of the size and time period were. It has arrived today and appears to be an inch shorter than the old one. I am hoping being shorter is just the old one has stretched and this will take up the slack that stopped it driving anymore. @Slowsilver

IMG_20210814_134618 broad.jpg

• Like 2

I'm repairing a Countax ride on mower for my elderly cousin. It had FTP due to a drive belt twixt engine and transmission giving up. There's another belt to a take off point for a collection thingy that looked a bit worse for wear as well. Got both off the shelf from a random local bearing type place for 17 quid all in.