Modern banger racing

sierraman

Apparently Mondeos are very strong and they won't allow them in some races.

I had this, I had a Cortina (VGV 195S) that we had bought to race in the Prod Stock which was 1.4 and under but they deemed it unsuitable for there and we were only allowed to race it in the bangers. Yeah fuck that. It had no floor and a poxy 1.3 engine. We would have been well bummed by all the 3 litre Granadas we were going to be 'racing' against.  Sold it to some nutter who probably died.

You need to control the ignitions somehow. Modern engines havent had distributers for a long time, so even with a carb it still needs some electronics to run an ignition map to work the coil packs.

Banger racers need it to last for an evening or maybe a few meets, so are not too worried about fuel efficiency or emissions, so I doubt they stress too much about stuff like that, but if you are putting a modern engine into a classic for road use you will need it to work properly.

Stand-alone ECUs like Emerald would be up to the task or if you are a DIYer you could build a megajolt/megasquirt system.

Guest bangerfan101

unlimeteds are thin on the ground these days , even the big meetins the numbers have dropped , big rwd volvo's , ford scorpio's , lexus's , toyota supras and even the toyota previa (for now)

as for 2litre bangers the mondeo is the car to have ,

arlington raceway are hosting a 3litre front wheel drive meeting soon that will be pretty intresting .

bang switches , airbags , all get ripped out and rewired to keep running in a smash .

rookie bangers get a variety of shite raced but hondas are the car to have if your racing for the flag , twin carbs will go on most civics . the almera is one for the crashers in rookies /small cc meets . hard cars and will run all day

Up at Smeatharpe banger track there seems to be a team that always uses Civic CRXs. Usually painted black and green. They are always getting mashed up the chuff to the extent that the rear axle is pushed up to just behind the driver. The little rice burner just keeps on going and never seems to break!

This is all good as I find Modeos, big Volvos and Lexi (plural) completely unappealing - No offence intended to those of you who like them.

And to any racers out there: Please feel free to destroy as many PT Cruisers as you like. I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

All PT Cruiser meet please.