Piss Balling about with banger Fords

sierraman

Fill, prime, fill, prime… remembered why I stopped doing all this years ago. Going to stick a couple of coats of zinc primer on and touch a few bits up then get it painted. The bit with the red on it is where the piss flaps sit so no point finishing those bits off as it’ll be covered. 

Edit: On reflection I’m just going to give it a coat of Stonechip then spray over that otherwise I’ll be doing the bastard again in six months.

IMG_0903.jpeg

• Like 3

Flatted and stone chipped. Really they should have done this at the factory but it’ll mean it’ll last a bit longer. Paint tomorrow if it’s not raining…

IMG_0905.jpeg

On 08/10/2022 at 18:59, sierraman said:

Final few jobs before the test. PAS leak, I thought it was this hose that feeds the pump but it turns out it’s the reservoir, it’s tracking down the hose and on to the ac pump. If only I’d worked harder at school and bought a German car this wouldn’t have happened. Reservoir duly ordered. 

3F7B53B4-EFB6-4D1F-B52C-DA9E352EE2A9.jpeg

Trust me, they ain’t any more reliable. Unless it’s an Astra.

1 hour ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

Trust me, they ain’t any more reliable. Unless it’s an Astra.

You’ve missed the dryness in my comment! 😂

Top coat is on, I’ll pick some lacquer up later and whack that on, it’s not going to be winning prizes at Pebble beach but so long as it looks half presentable I can live with that. Also need to get the engine mount done this weekend, an array of suppliers for them all seem to me made out of some unique metallic substance that’s somewhere between Milliput and cheese. Dread to think how much a genuine one would be but I’m guessing £££ assuming you could find one. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sierraman said:

You’ve missed the dryness in my comment! 😂

Top coat is on, I’ll pick some lacquer up later and whack that on, it’s not going to be winning prizes at Pebble beach but so long as it looks half presentable I can live with that. Also need to get the engine mount done this weekend, an array of suppliers for them all seem to me made out of some unique metallic substance that’s somewhere between Milliput and cheese. Dread to think how much a genuine one would be but I’m guessing £££ assuming you could find one. 

The £25 ones from eBay are surprisingly alright, I've fitted them to both of mine, current one has survived a couple of years, starting to weep a bit of fluid now but it's not causing a horrible vibration yet like the old one did so I'm not too bothered about that. Factors seem to sell them around the £80 mark and I'm not sure they'd last any longer as they seem just as rubbish

The other one I sold the car a couple of years ago so god knows!

If you bought a cheap eBay one it would probably see the car out! 

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The £25 ones from eBay are surprisingly alright, I've fitted them to both of mine, current one has survived a couple of years, starting to weep a bit of fluid now but it's not causing a horrible vibration yet like the old one did so I'm not too bothered about that. Factors seem to sell them around the £80 mark and I'm not sure they'd last any longer as they seem just as rubbish

The other one I sold the car a couple of years ago so god knows!

If you bought a cheap eBay one it would probably see the car out! 

Even the Febi ones which are normally good looked like any old shite. The diaphragm has gone in ours and the oil is pissing out. Occasional jolt so it’s it’s getting replaced. 

A mate phoned me last night, handbrake cable gone on his. Assuming where they always fray at the end, hoping this won’t be an absolute bastard like the Mk4 I did months ago was involving reaching round the exhaust. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Even the Febi ones which are normally good looked like any old shite. The diaphragm has gone in ours and the oil is pissing out. Occasional jolt so it’s it’s getting replaced. 

A mate phoned me last night, handbrake cable gone on his. Assuming where they always fray at the end, hoping this won’t be an absolute bastard like the Mk4 I did months ago was involving reaching round the exhaust. 

Worth checking/doing the lower dog bone mount as well, mine was starting to split and I had an occasional jolt as well as a vibration. Did both, I assume the upper mount solved the vibration and the lower mount solved the jolt. 

Think they are routed above the heat shield, so it's not going to be a nice job laying on your back 🤔

Top coat on, next job is the clear coat. Not come out terribly I don’t think, presentable enough. 

IMG_0907.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Top coat on, next job is the clear coat. Not come out terribly I don’t think, presentable enough. 

IMG_0907.jpeg

That looks good!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah looks especially good for silver, I'm sure as you know its one of the worst colours to try and match

When I was a kid my dad was doing some rust repairs on the wing of his Talbot Alpine.

He brush painted the repair with hammerite, realised it didn't match so did the rest of the car.

Once finished he stood back and declared "well, a blind man would be pleased to see it" 

My dad, a true shitter!