NEWS: Cheeky Girls in '70s Chrysler backlash

boobydoo

AUTOSHITE NEWS:

The disappointed seller of a late 1970s saloon car has revealed today that despite it's being advertised on a well-known classic car website for several weeks, he received no communication or interest whatsoever from one of Britains top pop acts, The Cheeky Girls.

CheekyGirls-280_751372a.jpg

Cheeky Girls say 'No' to classic car ownership

The shocking revelation, that has left both the pop and classic car world stunned, comes just days after it was revealed that a former neighbour of  'Birds Of A Feather' star Lesley Joseph once scrapped an uneconomical to repair  Riley 4/72 in the early eighties, and has fuelled fears that many of our top paid entertainers have a complete disregard for the classic car movement in the UK.

A source close to the Cheeky Girls, who had a string of chart toppers in the early noughties with "Bum My Cheeks" and "Hooray! Hooray! It's A Cheeky H-reg Proton" has confirmed that due to an extended summer season at Butlins in Minehead and a general disinterest in classic cars, it was unlikely the duo had ever seen the advert. 

A spokesman for the classic car movement, Lord Greville Plumworthy speaking to reporters earlier, expressed his disappointment in the girls, claiming it to be a 'kick in the teeth' for all those who endeavour to keep Britains motoring heritage alive.

However, in a happy ending to the story, it can be revealed that Hertfordshire resident 'boobydoo' has come to the rescue and recently added the car to his fleet.

The car in question is a 1979 registered Chrysler Hunter Super, thought to be the only '79 model still in existence, this being the final year of production. Extensive research by the new owner, involving looking in a mag,  has shown that  only 1,176 Hunters were registered in the UK that year.

'boobydoo' liked the smart look of the car in it's original Cherry Red with vinyl roof, Rostyle wheels and later Humber Sceptre style grille.

10270458763_9e7f0d63a8_z.jpg

The car was meticulously kept by its one and only owner for 33 years, with a comprehensive record of expenditure, until it went into storage in 2004 after being restored to a high standard two years previously. Looking through the history file that came with the car, shows the rapid deterioration in the first few years probably due to the appalling build quality these Dublin built Hunters had. 

Here are just a few in addition to routine service and maintenance:

March 1982: New rear parcel shelf

July 1982: New pedal rubbers 

Oct 1982: New headlights

Dec1982: New front wings

Feb 1982: Paint front wings

April 1983: New windscreen moulding

July 1983: Replacement under warranty of all 5 wheels by Talbot Motor Co.

Sept 1983:Repair seat trim

Oct 1983: New door chrome strip

Nov 1983: Repair rear wing corrosion

Feb 1985: N/S wing and O/S door repair, new door rubbers, N/S sill corrosion repair, car re-Zeibarted.

March 1985: Further body refurbishment

June 1985: Headlining replaced

Sept 1985: Front and rear valance repair, new vinyl roof......the list goes on!

Today the car looks really great with similarities in style  to the Mk 2 Cortina 1600E...I think!

The 1725 cc engine is nippy and the non power steering much lighter than my Alpine and Solara. The 4 speed box is nice and notchy with a precise feel.

10270459573_e0b7b6f871_z.jpg

I'm not sure what Chrysler were thinking when they added this garish rear panel from '74 onwards, but I do like it! You can also just see the original mudflaps which had a 'Hillman' script across them, now sadly faded.

10270459603_4e06fd1b6e_z.jpg

The vinyl roof has surprisingly survived well since being replaced in 1985!

10270461503_f37fb4a6a7_z.jpg

For me, it is the interior of the car that is so fantastic. The original Charcoal/Red multiweave seats are excellent...they were also standard fitment on '77 model Avenger GLS and weirdly, the last Simca 1000s.

10270459633_da59731a21_z.jpg

The dash is incredibly dated for a late seventies car with wood veneer a-plenty and deeply recessed dials. The left hand dial has fuel and temperature guage and volt meter. No radio I'm afraid, but you can see the 'afterthought' hazard warning switch just under the dash.

10270460563_4c3002f868_z.jpg

You may think it's a lovely bit of walnut capping on the doors...but cheap fablon only I'm afraid.

10272099703_799b65d48d_z.jpg

Rear parcel shelf still mint!

10271909564_98c00cafb7_z.jpg

So there you have it. I had a Chrysler Hunter 1978 model about 15 years ago and always regretted selling it, particularly as it was scrapped not long after. I'm pleased as punch with this one.

It's funny to think that the Hunter was launched the same year as the Mk2 Cortina yet here it is still being made 13 years later, barely changed. I can only think that the last few were sold ridiculously cheap as fleet cars to companies like Tupperware and can just imagine the salesman looking forward to his new company car and the look of horror as a wheezing old Hunter gets unloaded into the car park! Tee! Hee!

Very nice. 8)

My Dad drove an identical one until the early 90's. It would have been assembled in Ireland and should have a plate on slam panel with something like "Assembled in Ireland using parts from Chrysler UK"

Was the original owner G. Talbot? If so I almost bought it in 2012 just before my GLS appeared.

As everyone else has said, those seats are superb.  I've had two Hunters and I think they're brilliant cars - not the most exciting vehicle ever built, but amazingly competent for a mid-'60s design.  I think it's hilarious they were still making them in '79 though - only the HC Viva can have competed with it for sheer outdatedness.

Top purchase, as always.