1981 Austin Princess - [expletives removed]

vulgalour

Can you not just bridge the clock's power cables to test that theory?

That's what I'll do, I ran ot of time and daylight and the dash is fiddly enough to remove in the daylight, let alone at night. Although I did find out last night that I am now so practiced at changing the alternator, I can do it when it is so dark that I can hardly see it.

Bo11, you can pay your quid by cheque, postal order or by Access Card.

Despite it still being somewhat deficient in electricity, it is still of for an MOT in about 30 minutes time.

I've boshed a fully charged battery on it and it has just stopped raining so hopefully it will manage a whole test without running out of electricity and then have enough to get it home this evening.

Wish us luck!

• Like 3

What carb does it have fitted?

If its a HIF it has a flat bottom

Take the dash pot off with its 3 screws and pull the piston out.

See what the jet height is by eye because twiddling the screw doesn't always work on the HIFs (I work on them daily)

The mixture screw has an 'o' ring which furrs up and sticks, the jet is sprung with a bimetallic spring which will let you richen it but won't always go the other way.

Looking down from above, turn the screw anti clockwise and the jet should raise up through the jet holder, get the jet and jet holder flush and then turn the mixture screw two turns clockwise as a base setting, then put the piston and dash pot back on and fine tune using the piston lifting pin on the side

• Like 2

Leaving is just as important too, at her last MoT my Princess stalled on completing a fail and then didn't want to restart.  I had to push the car out of the testing bay.

Nails are being bitten up here.  My dentist, who I'm seeing in less than an hour, will not be pleased scooping out the debris.  C'mon fellas (and Louise) chant: pass pass pass pass pass...

C'mon fellas (and Louise) chant: pass pass pass pass pass...

Is this me? If so, I'm a hairy chested chap complete with all man parts. I chose my avatar yonks ago as I liked the look of the lass with the Vespa  :-P

Who is/was she, then? Here she is/was: modscooterpic-1.jpg

Annnyway, time to change it I think  :mrgreen:

Has the Princess passed yet? 

I’ve just been into William Hills, they reckon its evens on a pass/fail so I put £20 on, I think whatever happens I get £20 back (not too knowledgeable about betting )

Yeah but you know how quickly items stack up on those fail sheets.  They can take an entire page just to tell you that you've got shit brakes.

• Like 2

/\ £19 don't you mean?

It's a bugger about the MOT Phil, but hope it's fairly minor stuff. On the bright side at least it hasn't failed on everything, which is usually of some consolation to me.

Hopefully it's thicko stuff like non functioning ABS, no catalytic converter, and coil springs missing......

Good luck Phil, let us know the damage so we can tell you how easy it is to fix it.....

• Like 2