The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

18 minutes ago, tom13 said:

I may have previously posted this but has anyone on here got a Grom?

I just love the appeal of them. I have watched quite a few reviews, saw people saying the quality was built to last but also cheap feeling at the same time. I'm around 95kg so would like to know how much that would effect performance. I have my full bike license and have had quite a range of bikes but this little 125 just looks like a lot of fun and ideal for most of the type of riding I have time for at the moment (Pre Covid) which is just shorter evening/weekend blasts.

If anyone has bought one from new did you manage to get a test ride? I enquired around Autumn last year and I was told by a couple of places that they didn't have Grom demo bikes. I really need to try one before I commit to one. Not set on new or used and I'm not fussed on year, I personally quite like the older style light as well.

I've not owned one but ridden a couple, at 95kg they will be very slow indeed, I felt very vulnerable in and around traffic on one, they have zero road presence and traffic just bullies you into the gutter, they bounce from pothole to pothole, I'd say they are only really any good in town, they suffer the same problem as any other 125 on the open road that they can't get out of their own way, I also think they are silly money for what they are but each to their own, it was fun to ride in the right environment but would quickly become tiring (to me anyway).

I think[mention=18231]UltraWomble[/mention] had one for a short time but sold it as he was worried about security.

A couple of guys I work with have them and love them, one of them has a garage full of "proper" bikes but only really rides the grom. He has spent a lot on it, big bore kit, some sort of gearbox upgrade, titanium exhaust, etc etc.

7 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I've not owned one but ridden a couple, at 95kg they will be very slow indeed, I felt very vulnerable in and around traffic on one, they have zero road presence and traffic just bullies you into the gutter, they bounce from pothole to pothole, I'd say they are only really any good in town, they suffer the same problem as any other 125 on the open road that they can't get out of their own way, I also think they are silly money for what they are but each to their own, it was fun to ride in the right environment but would quickly become tiring (to me anyway).

Yeah I know what you mean. I had a very early CG125 years ago and it was fun but like I say tedious over longer journeys. I'm not hitting any big roads regularly and I was toying with a light bit of green lanes on it. If it would do a steady 50 it wouldn't be too much of a faff for me  to get it over to Elan or something. I could always take it in the van though.

Did you think the suspension was shite on it then? Too soft? No Control?

They are expensive used but they hold their money and I don't think brand new they seem too bad a price. 

13 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I think[mention=18231]UltraWomble[/mention] had one for a short time but sold it as he was worried about security.

A couple of guys I work with have them and love them, one of them has a garage full of "proper" bikes but only really rides the grom. He has spent a lot on it, big bore kit, some sort of gearbox upgrade, titanium exhaust, etc etc.

What were the security concerns? I imagine they are quite desirable for theft due to them appealing to the yoofs.

I can imagine just having it there, easy to start and maintain, don't have to worry about being too precious with it. Riding it flat out at its limit has its appeal as well I suppose.

The big bore look good, the turbo kits are becoming popular as well. I think I would leave it standard for a while though just for the easy life.

1 hour ago, tom13 said:

I may have previously posted this but has anyone on here got a Grom?

I had one ( Im at work so cant find any photos just at the mo - but it was a first gen UK in Bumblebee yellow)

I weigh in at 150kg and at the time of owning probably was about 140kg The bike itself weighs less than 100kg and can be lifted by one average fat Northerner. 

Top whack was about 65mph - acceleration about normal for a 125cc.

Comfortable to ride for a small bike, nimble and with decent rubber fitted very sure footed and good for gentle green lane use.

Standard Honda Security was NONE EXISTANT - so you go everywhere with a couple of chains and locks and STILL come back to find that someone has fucked about with it. I bought a 125cc Burgman off someone on here to use for trips out to areas I knew the Grom would be tampered with/ a bit rough - and ended up using the Grom less and less for commuting as it was in the shed chained up to buggery.

In the end I sold it - not because I hated it, but because it seemed silly it sat in the shed and me being afraid to ride it anywhere other than for a bit of fun at the weekends. I regret selling it as I wont ever find another Mk1 as un fucked about with and in original condition, but there you go.  Buy one and enjoy it - but stock up on some beefy security devices.

TL:DR - fun, will be fine with your 95KG - but the best chain & lock you can and lock it to something solid.

10 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

I had one ( Im at work so cant find any photos just at the mo - but it was a first gen UK in Bumblebee yellow)

I weigh in at 150kg and at the time of owning probably was about 140kg The bike itself weighs less than 100kg and can be lifted by one average fat Northerner. 

Top whack was about 65mph - acceleration about normal for a 125cc.

Comfortable to ride for a small bike, nimble and with decent rubber fitted very sure footed and good for gentle green lane use.

Standard Honda Security was NONE EXISTANT - so you go everywhere with a couple of chains and locks and STILL come back to find that someone has fucked about with it. I bought a 125cc Burgman off someone on here to use for trips out to areas I knew the Grom would be tampered with/ a bit rough - and ended up using the Grom less and less for commuting as it was in the shed chained up to buggery.

In the end I sold it - not because I hated it, but because it seemed silly it sat in the shed and me being afraid to ride it anywhere other than for a bit of fun at the weekends. I regret selling it as I wont ever find another Mk1 as un fucked about with and in original condition, but there you go.  Buy one and enjoy it - but stock up on some beefy security devices.

TL:DR - fun, will be fine with your 95KG - but the best chain & lock you can and lock it to something solid.

Cheers dude,

I wont be using it for commuting but if I do I can leave it inside the building I work in and if I stop it will only be for a drink or food. I 100% get what you mean though. I suppose when they are that easy to lift, you could even throw it into an estate, it makes it very vunerable.

Was 65 on a flat or down hill. That's quite some pace really. I was thinking I would see 55 max on the flat. I had seen people get a bit more with a gearing adjustment.

What did you think of build quality?

2 minutes ago, martc said:

Grom chat - have you thought about a Benelli TnT 125? From the same mould, but cheaper by £1500, and less likely to attract scrotes (?).

image.thumb.png.2d96adcb443f67154268d897903f452a.png

https://www.benelli.co.uk/new-bikes/bike/2020-benelli-tnt-125cc-571

Yeah I had looked at those. There is a dodgy looking one on marketplace at the moment for like £900. There is also a Mint condition green one on there as well. I really like the green. They are just a bit too close to the Grom price wise on the used market. The Grom has more aftermarket support and spares as well which was swaying me. Don't get me wrong. If a bargain TNT came up I would get one. 

2 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Was 65 on a flat or down hill. That's quite some pace really. I was thinking I would see 55 max on the flat. I had seen people get a bit more with a gearing adjustment.

What did you think of build quality?

65 was on the flat - but took a bit of a run up - drops speed with a fat knakeroon like me on it when you get to hills.

Build quality was OK - I ACF-50'd the hell out of the frame - the zorst was made of modern black painted cheesium so I lobbed a Black Widow on it - the only thing that failed was the voltage regulator.

Interestingly the guy who bought it took it home in a BMW estate.

9 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

65 was on the flat - but took a bit of a run up - drops speed with a fat knakeroon like me on it when you get to hills.

Build quality was OK - I ACF-50'd the hell out of the frame - the zorst was made of modern black painted cheesium so I lobbed a Black Widow on it - the only thing that failed was the voltage regulator.

Interestingly the guy who bought it took it home in a BMW estate.

Quality. So easy to Nick then.

Exhaust seems to be the first mod people do on them. 

3 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Quality. So easy to Nick then.

Exhaust seems to be the first mod people do on them. 

I changed the gear linkage to a rose jointed one ( which cut down on the false neutrals) changed the running light / indicators to switch back white / amber rather than full amber/ winking amber and fitted crash bungs and binned off the cheese zorst, and swapped the Vee tyres to Michelin City Grips aside from that I kept it standard, even the rear plate holder.

Ive looked at the TNT's for a bit of gentle green lane and something I would probably care less about than the Grom, but even then think Id end up being bothered about it being nicked. I just dont have that fear with the 15 year old 100cc Lead.

Some photys...

13495390_605845336270374_4478014634506908139_o.thumb.jpg.af368fb3ee3fd1c045e18452a5f305fb.jpg

When I took it off roading...

13503056_605845706270337_7036315198208031554_o.thumb.jpg.e6b8654a97eafdf35ef6727e2aa6ede3.jpg

Rose joint gear linkage ( look at teh f**ing rust on the Zorst and it was only a couple of months old) 

13445432_605845419603699_4365239432924202928_n.thumb.jpg.ba2a20d30e7de310a40e1c982d1d369a.jpg

White running lights that turned to blinking amber lights rather than full time amber / blinking amber

13501632_605845376270370_1178876165264967046_n.jpg

26 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Some photys...

13495390_605845336270374_4478014634506908139_o.thumb.jpg.af368fb3ee3fd1c045e18452a5f305fb.jpg

When I took it off roading...

13503056_605845706270337_7036315198208031554_o.thumb.jpg.e6b8654a97eafdf35ef6727e2aa6ede3.jpg

Rose joint gear linkage ( look at teh f**ing rust on the Zorst and it was only a couple of months old) 

13445432_605845419603699_4365239432924202928_n.thumb.jpg.ba2a20d30e7de310a40e1c982d1d369a.jpg

White running lights that turned to blinking amber lights rather than full time amber / blinking amber

13501632_605845376270370_1178876165264967046_n.jpg

Looks great mate.

13 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Looks great mate.

It was (and to be fair the missus still is).
I regret selling it because prices have risen for early bikes and the chances of buying one in such good order is pretty low now, not without spending a fortune. That said I have to keep reminding myself why I sold it in the first place and that I'd end up with it tucked away in the shed chained up and not being used again. And life is too short to be living like that. And at least I can say "I had one of them and it was a blast".

If I come up with 6 numbers on the lottery, then I'll buy one again ( and a shit load more bikes) but till then Im trying to be content with what I have for what I need it for. Covid changed my work commuting needs so the bike gets used very infrequently these days.

http://www.irishphotorally.ie

@Faker buy a 50 sos @They_all_do_that_sir can keep up :D

started last weekend runs out in november

can do nowt till march 5 at the mo and instant quarantine isnt helping (they changed the rules after 6 months ya cant do a squeaky from the north now)

soon as they open accom then peeowww

Just booked a track day for the end of April . Fully expect it to be cancelled but dates fill up so fast now . Had some credit from cancelled ones at the end of last season .

Better dust off the old Thundercat and maybe finally fit the braided hoses I’ve had for over a year . Poor old bike getting abused when it should be retired .

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Just booked a track day for the end of April . Fully expect it to be cancelled but dates fill up so fast now . Had some credit from cancelled ones at the end of last season .

Better dust off the old Thundercat and maybe finally fit the braided hoses I’ve had for over a year . Poor old bike getting abused when it should be retired .

Its crazy at the minute trying to get a day as so many people have credits from last year and people are gagging to get out on track, its going to be a complete crash fest this year and I'm not booking any general days, its like a badge of honour for some to fall off, on my last TD at Anglesey there was at least one red flag in every single one of my sessions, I managed a whole 12 uninterrupted laps all day, not good value for the £500 it cost me for the weekend, I may book a road bike only day later in the year as they get a much more sensible type of clientele who do care about killing their road bike.

If the blocks have the pliable feel of a new tyre and look ok then I'd have no problem using them. Any time I've had grip issues with old tyres on bikes or cars It's been obvious from the look/feel of them. Tread blocks as hard as a coffin nail and/or a shiny glazed surface. I'd give them a very thorough check and would want to bed them in carefully on a warm dry day. I'd also be be prepared to swap them out for new ones if they didn't feel right. 

11 minutes ago, red5 said:

I'm afraid iIwouldnt old chap.

Well, not afraid. Unless I was on those.

What sizes are they?

150/70 17

110/80/19.

Look and feel like they were made yesterday.  And they're German made. Metzlers

I will use them. Will compare and report back from the Chinese 2019 Tourances I have on now.

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons..

I've just picked up a pair of tyres for the Vstrom. Metzeler Tourances, which I've used for years and like em.  They have never been on the road, having been taken off a new bike in..... 2007. Been kept in a warm garage in the dark.

Would you?

Nope, you can get Avon 3d storm XM for 150 a pair, or Michelin Pilot 2ct's why take the chance on 14 year old tyres when the small contact patch is the only thing keeping you out of a hedge.

I took my bike out in the snow during the week, made it out for 5 miles without falling off.

I got stuck behind someone going very slowly in front of me on a big hill so was engine braking behind them and it cut out.

I thought I might be low on petrol so pushed it a couple of miles mostly downhill thankfully to the nearest petrol station, filled the tank and tried to get it going again.

Around what felt like 100 kicks later it started back up and was quite smoky to begin with, I set off again and it died the same way as before so abandoned it in a supermarket carpark and went away for 40 minutes to get a suitable vehicle to take it home.

When I returned to the bike it started up fine and when I got it back to the yard it drove around fine without issue.

A couple of people have suggested carb icing, a fouled plug,flooded engine, snow in the carb vent tubes etc.

It was fun and a little bit scary when I was out on it, I did get some shaky go pro footage but the quality isn't great and it's not all that exciting.

I did get a lot of bemused looks and some thumbs up from the general public...

IMG_20210210_140012439_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210210_112507245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210210_112454418_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210210_115647675_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210210_133456106_HDR.jpg