The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

That's the engine out the gee pee zed.

Doing it the easy way, first strip it down to just the frame and engine and tip on it's side.

DSC_9757.thumb.JPG.67db8953436a3c90340899533e167207.JPG

Then lift the (significantly lighter) frame off the engine.

DSC_9758.thumb.JPG.1c32ba69d2b6c37e70e831e49076acc0.JPG

Might be a tad tricker going back together when everything is fresh paint and powdercoat!

I had been wondering why my aprilia etx 125 trail bike was painfully slow.

It turns out that it's the restricted model, the inlet rubber has a metal washer restricting the flow, there was a catalytic converter inside the expansion chamber of the exhaust, it doesn't have a power valve and the CDI unit has an emissions restriction between 5 -6k revs.

I've been stocking up on all the bits needed to make it faster.

IMG_20201127_122028318.jpg

13 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Bloody rain, bastard cold... bloody dark by 2 o'bastard clock :( Too miserable to fix stuff, never mind ride. Then some of my biking mates started posting pics of their old bikes on our Whatsapp group and that cheered me up somewhat... here's one of mine:

touring.thumb.png.4e091e15fa7fac1e9a7a6c4b5914d68a.png

BORN TO TOUR, BABY.

Are they drinking straws on the front spokes? Funky!

On 11/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, hairnet said:

this makes me laugh

hes got all sorts of bikes grom cb500x ryker cub 125

hes just ordered an aprilia rs660 (no idea) without even looking at it

saw this and 9:15 - he comes across a gtr on the freeway

obvs no match ryker might do 120 flat - he was doing 85 in places and the gtr gassed it - he went to 105 at one point and gtr was still gone

nice noise tho

I watch his vids aswell,  I like his road trip vids 'specially on the 'new' cub, not a fan of the ryker going where ever the tram lines take it .  his newest today he was on a long trip with a mate, both on new cubs slipstreamin each other for overtakes.

Spoke too soon after being happy the Derbi passed the MOT, the bastard won't start now! Tried (very half-heartedly) bumping it as the battery was flat, but it wouldn't go, nor with a boost. Battery now on charge, though it think it was more fuel related when it wouldn't go. It's done it before, so hopefully it's a minor blip.

Should really get round to making a start on the AR50 next, it's (effectively) the last 'full' project left now, although all the others will need a dose of twiddling with.

Image may contain: meme, text that says "WHY ARE WE WALKING HOME POO? SHUT THE UCKUPPIGLET UP FUCK"

• 3 weeks later...

Bikeshite dropping to page 5 isn't really on now is it.

So to bring it back up, I've liberally covered the metal bits on the bike in ACF50 to make me feel less bad about going for short rides knowing that I won't bother to wash it when I get back. 

So on my first ride after doing that in the pissing rain I got half way along the shit covered country roads towards a farm shop I was going to, and noticed I'd lost lights, including the brake light and indicators. 

Now I know what you're thinking, but I fucking didn't. I'm so convinced anything that goes wrong on this bike is related to the degrading circuit board in the clocks it wasn't until after I road home testing if anyone would recognise half arsed handsignals. Then spent an hour swearing that it's not worth spending another penny on and looking at HP deals for Royal Enfields before going outside to prod it and noticing that just by coincidence, everything that stopped working was on the same fuse....

Talking of gearboxes, my BMW F650CS has a rather brutal gearchange, it bangs into gear far more harshly than the very worn Diversions I learned on and there's often a metallic clunk to go with it.  It's most noticeable at lower speeds, putting it into 1st at a standstill can be positively violent.  There's no whining or grinding and it seems to work absolutely fine in every other regard so I'm not worried, is this just normal for BMWs?  I've seen some mention on forums that the gearboxes can be a bit agricultural.

I'm out most days on the bikes (good weather helps!) and although I have to remain only in one area, luckily this is just over 23,250 sq kilometres.

Would post more frequently, but don't want to piss everyone off. I see it as my payback for commuting 600 miles a week through 20 of the last 21 British winters.20201212_165250.thumb.jpg.4465d85943671149c6e0adb0db55675f.jpg

20200927_133538.thumb.jpg.49f6673fa2c1dfcc14f9be3727cfd8f7.jpg20201113_161215.thumb.jpg.d440f606760c0e646bdd605ea9ca6bb7.jpg

I got one of my kmxs back from the garage today with a bill of £710 for the work carried out.
It feels like a brand new bike!
My aprilia is currently in having all of the go faster parts fitted so looking forward to seeing how well it goes.abb7cc8a388c2a764a73c1e5d9165fc6.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

2 KMXs! Greedy bastard!
Can't find one for sale that isn't fucked down here in the south east.
What works were done to it for £700, a lot, I imagine.
Up here I can't seem to find one for under £1500 which isn't knackered. My Mrs owns the other kmx and I was sick of not being able to keep up on the heavily restricted aprilia so bought another kmx for £1350 which was apparently mot'd but was pretty was fucked.
I had the barrel sent away for nikasil plating, new piston, gaskets, various seals replaced to stop the oil leaks, new clutch, rear shock absorber rebuilt, electrics sorted out as none of the lights worked and it had various other bits and pieces done along the way.
The going rate for a road legal 2 stroke 125 trail bike up here seems to be upward of £2k, the other kmx was advertised at that but I swapped a yz250 for it.

14 hours ago, phil_lihp said:

Talking of gearboxes, my BMW F650CS has a rather brutal gearchange, it bangs into gear far more harshly than the very worn Diversions I learned on and there's often a metallic clunk to go with it.  It's most noticeable at lower speeds, putting it into 1st at a standstill can be positively violent.  There's no whining or grinding and it seems to work absolutely fine in every other regard so I'm not worried, is this just normal for BMWs?  I've seen some mention on forums that the gearboxes can be a bit agricultural.

BMW gearboxes have that reputation, my R1150RT was pretty clunky but not what I'd call violent.

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

Up here I can't seem to find one for under £1500 which isn't knackered. My Mrs owns the other kmx and I was sick of not being able to keep up on the heavily restricted aprilia so bought another kmx for £1350 which was apparently mot'd but was pretty was fucked.
I had the barrel sent away for nikasil plating, new piston, gaskets, various seals replaced to stop the oil leaks, new clutch, rear shock absorber rebuilt, electrics sorted out as none of the lights worked and it had various other bits and pieces done along the way.
The going rate for a road legal 2 stroke 125 trail bike up here seems to be upward of £2k, the other kmx was advertised at that but I swapped a yz250 for it.

Fair play.

I reckon you'll be leaving her for dust when the Aprilia comes back from fettling though!