The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Any tips for the best (cheapest) place to buy chain and sprocket kits?

Need one for my SV, ebay has kits with either JT or Choho(?) chains for about 67 quid, that's not bad really but I always want things cheaper because mingebag.

Thanks.

Guest Hooli

I normally look for Hunters Motorcycles in Nooooocasssellike (that's how they all say it anyway) as their deals are good & I've had great service sorting an issue.

Was hoping to get my GSX-R 750 in for an MoT next week but the hydraulic clutch had lost pressure. Initial investigation showed it was almost dry. Have been pumping through some fresh fluid but still not got pressure. Probably need to remove the sprocket cover to investigate.

Progress is progressing on the SRX...

I have cleaned the carbs out, replaced a few bits inside and refitted them.

In the best spirit of cunning i generously allowed a friend to learn how to operate a kick start on a motorbike.

This took about thirty kicks, although to be fair, once he discovered how to operate an ignition switch on a motorbike it got easier for him. ????

Genuine mistake on my part.

So now she will start fairly easy from cold, although to be fair it wasn't exactly Cold today.

Now I have got to sort out some new fuel lines, get a new throttle cable, oil the clutch cable, sort the chain out and got a new number plate.

And try and get it a bit cleaner.

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles? I quite fancy one when I retire, there seems to be a lot of low mileage ones about that appear to hold their value well. It'd just be a toy, none of that riding across France sort of malarkey, but do they buzz/vibrate to an annoying level? 

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles? I quite fancy one when I retire, there seems to be a lot of low mileage ones about that appear to hold their value well. It'd just be a toy, none of that riding across France sort of malarkey, but do they buzz/vibrate to an annoying level?

They are good enough, I've liked the ones I've ridden, see also W650/800 my dad's W650 was a better bike than the triumph it replaced.

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles?

see also W650/800

The thing with the new Bonnevilles and W650/800 (and Ducati Scrambler) is that they are a bit 'ersatz'. I'd go for a Moto Guzzi V7 - you have a very clear lineage, it's not a copy, it's the real thing. And Moto Guzzi's are ace.

Could argue the same point about Royal Enfeilds, Hardly Dangerouses and maybe, at a stretch, a BMW nine T.

The thing with the new Bonnevilles and W650/800 (and Ducati Scrambler) is that they are a bit 'ersatz'. I'd go for a Moto Guzzi V7 - you have a very clear lineage, it's not a copy, it's the real thing. And Moto Guzzi's are ace.

Could argue the same point about Royal Enfeilds, Hardly Dangerouses and maybe, at a stretch, a BMW nine T.

Yeah the Guzzi V7's are nice and that's what my Dad's last bike was after the W650, it was a lovely thing when it worked, it needed 2 sets of clocks and a new ecu in the 2 years he had it, which is why I never mentioned them.

I'm liking the look of the soon to be released Royal Enfield 650 twin - and the price too. Lots of investment in RE in the UK with their big engineering and development centre near Bruntingthorpe, and their purchase of Harris Performance.

Never been that interested in Triumph - never enough to take one for a test ride,  so maybe I should try one.

I have replaced the left handlebar, because it was bent and taken the chain off, to try and revive it.

This sounds like not a lot work, but the split link was so rusty that it took 24 hours of dousing in Plusgas to free it.

Almost a third of the links in the chain were seized, because it hadn't been oiled.

The chain itself isn't very old and hasn't had a lot of use.

No bloody excuse for this, TBH and it got my hackles rising, so much I have given up for the day.

I will heat the chain up in some grease during the week and see if I can rescue it, if not i will have to buy a new one.

I may actually get to ride this bike in September...

Anyone had an Yam ZT660, are they a reasonable bet for 12 mile "local"commuting and the occasional long distance blatt?  A mate has two - which don't work - and I have a bike sized space in a garage.

Not specifically the ZT but had a number of bikes with the five valve Yamaha 660 engine in them (all MZ's, Skorpians and Baghira's). Commuted on an MZ Baghira with this engine in, and did 13,000 miles in six months, never missed a beat. Well loved engine for the Supermoto racers as easy to tune and remains reliable.

Had a Derbi Mulhachen with the later four valve 660 motor - didn't feel as smooth as the five valve, but has a bit more power. As big singles go, they are good engines.

Not sure what the chassis and electrics are like on a ZT but it's a Yamaha so should be good.

I last rode one a couple of years back in Florida.

It was a nice enough machine and felt pretty solid, was the Steve McQueen edition of it.

Did have some electrical gremlins going on with the neutral light and was very low mileage.

Yeah the Guzzi V7's are nice and that's what my Dad's last bike was after the W650, it was a lovely thing when it worked, it needed 2 sets of clocks and a new ecu in the 2 years he had it, which is why I never mentioned them.

Haha, my German mate Reiner had one a couple of years back (Cafe Racer) , said it was the biggest pile of shit he ever owned, whatever could go wrong with it, went wrong with it! Spent more time back at the dealer getting repaired than out on the road. It might have been inspired by the British bike industry as it had a number of total loss lubrication systems...

He replaced it with the Yamaha XJR Cafe racer and is over the moon with it.

If you mean the Xtz660 then they are a good strong bike with no real problems

Oil is stored in the frame and will dry out the headstock bearings quicker

Obviously a plodder of a bike being a big single

That said I took my last 1 to Southern Germany back when the "new" Tenere was launched with only a gearing change to bring the revs down

The alloy wheels are well known for peeling apart like an onion from the inside out

I am trying to keep track of M48GAM in the hope of maybe buying it back,but the current owner likes it too much to let go.....

Unlikely that compressed air will shift it if it won't pump out hydraulically... is there enough of the piston sticking out to grip with mole grips?

Unfortunately not - it's actually pushed back in the cylinder.

I pushed it back in with a socket to see if I could get some movement - pushed it back around 4~5mm from what I could tell.

Guest Hooli

900 mile long weekend to Bute & back with a day out in the Highlands on saturday.

Averaged 62mph from Fort William to Colintraive getting back to not miss the last ferry saturday, didn't seem to bad to me with all the roadworks & villages that I behaved in.

Guest Hooli

I checked tonight, turns out it was a 928mile weekend & now my 14 has ticked over 116k it needs an oil n filter change & a rear tyre rather soon too.