The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

220mile ride out down to Coventry today, sat & watched an Avro Shackleton run up three engines (no3 wouldn't start). Was a good day out, I'd forgot what it was like to be warm on a bike!

Annoyingly though on the way home I got proof the newer style air filter that superseded the proper ones does restrict the bike a bit. I've always felt it was slightly down on power since being unable to get the proper ones & today I proved that on a private road it only shows 158 flat out when it used to show 163. For some reason the later bikes got an air filter with a smaller intake & a longer trumpet to restrict the flow.

220mile ride out down to Coventry today, sat & watched an Avro Shackleton run up three engines (no3 wouldn't start). Was a good day out, I'd forgot what it was like to be warm on a bike!

Annoyingly though on the way home I got proof the newer style air filter that superseded the proper ones does restrict the bike a bit. I've always felt it was slightly down on power since being unable to get the proper ones & today I proved that on a private road it only shows 158 flat out when it used to show 163. For some reason the later bikes got an air filter with a smaller intake & a longer trumpet to restrict the flow.

I had a good run out with the usual suspects and on the way home I also tested the FZ1 and it got to an indicated 17.2 mph before hitting the limiter, which was nice (I've downgeared it a bit) and it now feels like a litre bike as it was a bit limp beforehand, I think I'll fit a PC3 and a map to see if that makes it any better, would be nice to see 150 rwhp but it's not strictly necessary :D

I really must keep an eye out over there for such events. I never bother to look since I got banned though.

We are out every other weekend unless one or two of us (not me) is racing but its usually arranged on the day or the night before because of the weather, we have stopped with the open invitations on BB as there has been quite a few muppets turn up who can't ride for shit but you are welcome to join us, I will let you know when we are out next :) 

That's an indicated 4 mph faster than my Lexmoto ZSB 125 ;)

Bigger engine in mine though, so no excuse! Still pondering having it tuned (+4BHP or something, plus lots more torque etc)  but the cost is daft, so will possibly buy a two stroke LML instead as a garage fwend for the Scomadi.

Guest Hooli
I took a look at the air filter in my 14 today & the differences between the proper old K2 air filter and the later ones which are all you can get now are pretty obvious in the first pic. A bit of thinking later & by running my angle grinder around the outside of the trumpet I cut the four spot welds holding that restrictive trumpet in. Pulled it out, filed the edge of the hole smooth by hand (with the filter upside down so the bits fell out) and that should be that.

Test rides will occur at some point, but I'm confident it'll have fixed it. Shame I can't replicate the small intake trumpet to smooth the air, but the solid section at the top of the filter (which the original doesn't have) is about the same depth so should do the same job.

post-20217-0-78763500-1523797449_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-32010200-1523797456_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

The air filter changed about the same time the Bandit 1250 came out, so I guess they wanted to make that faster as sales of 14s were never huge & it'd move more customers over before they stopped selling the 14. Side by side there is bugger all in it between the two, early 14s have the edge on the Bandit but the later ones don't...

Bigger engine in mine though, so no excuse! Still pondering having it tuned (+4BHP or something, plus lots more torque etc)  but the cost is daft, so will possibly buy a two stroke LML instead as a garage fwend for the Scomadi.

I'm sure the speedo on the Lexmoto is very optimistic!

Have you not been scouring the internet for a smashed up Burgman and then just bang that engine in?

Just did a quick google and this article came up:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scootering/20180220/283519386349933

Guest Hooli

Update, the modded air filter does work better, it pulls noticeably harder in normal riding. It still bogs down a touch at full throttle & speeds up as I back off, reminds of a blocked high pressure filter (it's not, it's new) so I'll try some injector cleaner to see what happens.

Bike batteries are shite-had the Motobatt batteries fail on both my Guzzi and KTM over winter. Both were low on cranking power. Charged them both up but they discharge fairly quickly. Replacement batteries on the way, but next year they are being taken off and stored indoors in the warm.

I'm sure the speedo on the Lexmoto is very optimistic!

Have you not been scouring the internet for a smashed up Burgman and then just bang that engine in?

Just did a quick google and this article came up:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scootering/20180220/283519386349933

Had a quick scan and that really doesn't sound like just banging it in! Looks like quite a lot of fabrication required, although a carb version may have been easier?

Motobat batteries are junk . Great crank amps when new but don’t last 5 mins . Don’t think you can go too far wrong with a Yuasa

Agreed, the motobat from my ZZR died over winter even with a trickle charger on.

Yuasa I had in my XJ lasted me years and was still going strong when I sold the bike.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

My 14 came with a 2nd hand Yuasa, it lasted ten years & about 90k without ever seeing a charger.

In running issues news, it's about 80% fixed. bogs down a touch at high throttle & low revs but that's all. Yes I know I shouldn't, but with the secondary butterflies etc it's always behaved perfectly when doing so. Once I get some new pipes for my vacuum gauges I'll balance the throttles & reset both TPS. That along with the injector cleaner I've put in it should solve things.

Had a quick scan and that really doesn't sound like just banging it in! Looks like quite a lot of fabrication required, although a carb version may have been easier?

Yeah, I agree it's not the simple drop in option, by any stretch of the imagination!