The Wedgister - Princess and Ambassador Records

vulgalour

Thanks for the spots :D

Eventually I'll have the time and the head space to get the pages updated properly.  I have been saving all the info offline for when I do the next update on this, and just in case things go poof for some reason, so there is a back up, it's just not a public back up at the moment.

• Like 3

On 25/09/2022 at 20:47, quicksilver said:

I can't see any mention of TAO488S here. 1977 Leyland Cars Princess 2200 HL owned by former shiter Breadvan72 (but for sale) and piloted to today's BL Autumn Rally by the esteemed Mr @Skizzer.

TAO488S.thumb.jpg.f29608b766858af13e0b17289a64ac6c.jpg

Also in attendance were known cars KKN840P and LRX19P, all attracting a lot of attention.

technically we do already have that one, but as SAK739S :) but its sadly been robbed of its plate (why?!) and given TAO488S as an age related plate (as I said on Page 20, when you have studied the British registration system as hard as I have even suffix age related plates stand out like a sore thumb to me LOL)

image.thumb.png.9dbe0901016a7b266b35f446e13f9d63.png

8 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Spotted VBL211Y today @vulgalour. Haven’t seen it in the list above.

IMG_3002.thumb.jpeg.d20fde37d21758042bd9a8acfa169f70.jpeg

Badging on back says it’s a 1.7HL

Oh, excellent - that was the one from High Wycombe up for sale on Facebook last week.

162093496_Screenshot_20230615-2350272.thumb.png.7a4eae02663cbbcd93b0a4621d33fead.png

Apparently a one owner from new car, garaged all its life and with only 47k on the clock.

Fingers crossed it's off for some light recommissioning and life with a happy new owner!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

technically we do already have that one, but as SAK739S :) but its sadly been robbed of its plate (why?!) and given TAO488S as an age related plate (as I said on Page 20, when you have studied the British registration system as hard as I have even suffix age related plates stand out like a sore thumb to me LOL)

image.thumb.png.9dbe0901016a7b266b35f446e13f9d63.png

That's an odd reg to rob - I can't see SAK 739S having any significance but it's now on a 2001 BMW 3-series. At least the new reg is on period-correct plates so it doesn't look too bad.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, quicksilver said:

That's an odd reg to rob - I can't see SAK 739S having any significance but it's now on a 2001 BMW 3-series. At least the new reg is on period-correct plates so it doesn't look too bad.

I was puzzling this out too, maybe someone called Saks?

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Supposedly BL made some experimental diesel versions for the taxi market. 

I heard about those, I presume the used the 1800 B series diesel.

But ultimately, the Maxi diesel was considered sufficient by BL senior management to satisfy all sectors of the market, as evidenced by its considerable sales success.

#autoshite1.0

#beenheretoolong

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

POV587R sent to me by a friend who happened to spot it.

POV587R.thumb.jpg.579dace1f6b30951f16ac77cff96dfdf.jpg

I continue to be amazed that they keep popping up from storage and similar, makes you wonder how many are hiding out there.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blue 850 said:

One of approx 100 Ambassadors sold in Ireland, I believe the only export market for them? Currently on sale over here on donedeal advertised as a Princess

Screenshot_20230920_175704_DoneDeal.jpg

Patriotic, the N/S/R is a Shamrock ditchfinder!

A Princess has come up for sale here in Norway. As far as I know, they didn't sell many of these here, so this could possibly be Norway's only survivor.

This is a 1980 1800 HL with 122,000 km

Galleribilde

There are more pictures in the ad and the price is 1434 pounds

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=319741607

6 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

PrincessTorcars(1).thumb.jpg.b10095d48663b55820a17f5c84622e88.jpg

Do you have the Torcars Estate car from the brochure? 
Its reg is: TOR CARS 

I remember looking  at one of those in a scrapyard in Leyland in the mid 1980's. It was a really good conversion, it just worked so well & seemed roomier than the Ambassador.

On 9/22/2023 at 6:45 AM, ETCHY said:

I remember looking  at one of those in a scrapyard in Leyland in the mid 1980's. It was a really good conversion, it just worked so well & seemed roomier than the Ambassador.

WHOA. Did you take any pics? 

One still exists in the Netherlands, and there's another here, albeit in (very) poor condition. 

On 9/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

A Princess has come up for sale here in Norway. As far as I know, they didn't sell many of these here, so this could possibly be Norway's only survivor.

This is a 1980 1800 HL with 122,000 km

Galleribilde

There are more pictures in the ad and the price is 1434 pounds

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=319741607

They were popular-ish in Holland, and a couple made it to Finland.  This is I think the only one I've been made aware of in Norway so it could well be the only one there.  Mind you, I thought that about the brown one in Italy and then a second white one turned up in some sort of classic car breakers yard earlier this year.

• Like 1

My Father’s bought from new 1800HL was TTU786R. Last tax ran out 1985.

It was definitely a Friday afternoon car - doors flying open whilst driving, suspension leaks and, ultimately, a holed piston at just 3 years old.

No pictures I’m afraid. Gold with vinyl C pillars. Used to get water build up behind the vinyl - had to be pricked with a pin to let it out!

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

They were popular-ish in Holland, and a couple made it to Finland.  This is I think the only one I've been made aware of in Norway so it could well be the only one there.  Mind you, I thought that about the brown one in Italy and then a second white one turned up in some sort of classic car breakers yard earlier this year.

I heard they were sold in Sweden, but have no idea how well, but they all had the four round headlights to comply with Swedish rules on daytime driving lights.

5 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

WHOA. Did you take any pics? 

One still exists in the Netherlands, and there's another here, albeit in (very) poor condition. 

No sorry, in those days no mobile phones & i didn't even own a camera !

It was a black one & i remember spending quite a while looking at it. Tbe conversion was very professional. BL really got it wrong not producing it tbat way in tbe first place.

The wedge roster at the Autumn Rally yesterday was five cars, all already known here: KKN840P, LRX19P, JMJ814V, LSA481W and AWK360Y. There should have been a sixth blue one but it was off the road and the owner substituted his ADO16.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...