SIERRA VAN !!!!!

greendragon3

My fantasy: I would buy the most expensive bespoke suit Savile Row has to offer. I would ensure that I was never seen with a hair out of place, that my fingernails always appeared manicure fresh. I would wear shoes polished to a high gloss finish and the bedsheets in my immaculate Mayfair penthouse would be laundered every morning. I would go to exclusive nightclubs, yacht parties and gallery openings to meet women just like me.

Then I would pick them up in this Sierra Van, pre-cleanup condition.

My fantasy: I would buy the most expensive bespoke suit Savile Row has to offer. I would ensure that I was never seen with a hair out of place, that my fingernails always appeared manicure fresh. I would wear shoes polished to a high gloss finish and the bedsheets in my immaculate Mayfair penthouse would be laundered every morning. I would go to exclusive nightclubs, yacht parties and gallery openings to meet women just like me.

Then I would pick them up in this Sierra Van, pre-cleanup condition.

That's not you in the avatar pic is it?

That looks eminently saveable. I wouldn't be worrying about interior originality - but a cheap base spec donor car is surely still reasonably easy to source. Or you could always rob the bits from a dead Ghia and introduce some executive luxury for the first time.

A largely unknown/forgotten fact! Full marks! Lots make the (very easy) mistake thinking the Sapphire grille doesn't make an appearance at all on the hatch/estate. No Sapphire come with the hatch/estate bonnet originally, though.

Actually...

p0002057.jpg

I remember seeing these in France circa 1988, so the earlier 'mk2' Sierras (87-90) at least. Don't think the Sapphire name was utilised on the Continent, though they did get these too:

sierra%202.0%20IS%201.jpg

2.0i S FTW. 8)

Back to the van. Orange front indicators or white? :)

Just read this thread and hats off to you for tackling that! It's in a disgusting state! However I love it and it reminds me of the Favorit Freeway that was on here a while ago. That Sierra is extremely rare and I wish you the very best and well done for saving it :)

• 1 month later...

well lads here is one for the books ,

i got a call from a man in roscommon last week saying he knew the whereabouts of another sierra van !!!

took a chance yesterday and went down for a look and ended up buying , its in better shape than the white one and i actually had it running very quick despite it being parked up for over ten years !

the fun stated when we tried to extract it from its resting place , took about four hours enlisting the help of a chainsaw , sledge , pickaxe and numerous garden implements ,

oh and a very tasty bit if off road driving by declan rafter ( blackmagic) in his trusty landcruiser ,

demolishion and road building complete we finally faced her for the road and got her loaded on to declans trailer ,

she is now home and awaiting a good cleaning to see the extent of the restoration that awaits ,

as you will see in the pictures a dog took a liking to the interior and its fooked but i bought a donor car yesterday aswell with a good interior so we should be alright ,

a huge thankyou to padraig noonan ( the frog ) from roscommon for helping me source the van and also to declan and jonny nitro for thier help in getting it home here area few pictures .

newsierravanandathlonerun059.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun060.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun062.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun063.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun065.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun066.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun067.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun068.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun069.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun070.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun071.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun072.jpg

newsierravanandathlonerun073.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi all , just a quick update , i put a bit of a push on both of the sierra vans over the weekend because we have a big ford show ( Neal Egan run ) coming up on the 5th of august ( ( sorry bout the plug !!! ) ) ;D

anyway i got great help from a few of my mates and we got the red van converted to power steering sourced a new interior and got her running

it went out to donkeys then for a full valet inside and out while me and my ould fella the brother gus and jonny nitro got stuck into an engine swap on the white one ,

while we were at it nitro stripped out the remainder of the dash and found some more rats nest's and took out what was left of the wiring loom ,

i managed to get the engine swapped over very easily from the blue car and within a half an hour we had her purring away nicely .

here are some pics .

whitesierravanengineswap030.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap029.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap028.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap027.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap026.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap025.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap024.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap023.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap022.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap021.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap019.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap018.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap014.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap013.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap012.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap010.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap009.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap008.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap007.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap006.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap005.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap004.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap002.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap001.jpg

whitesierravanengineswap031.jpg

redsierravandoor.jpg

redsierravanback.jpg

redsierravan.jpg

redsierravanenginebay.jpg

GreenDragon - My cap is duly doffed to your efforts!

/\ This. That is fantastic work GreenDragon. You deserve an Autoshire standing ovation.

I've just given him one. Don't be put off by the fact that I'm only wearing pants. My other half wasn't impressed.