Jump to content

Anyone restoring a Renault 20?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello. A friend of mine just posted about this on Facebook. I’ve known him for years and he posted about having this scrapped. Long story short a friend has bought a house and this was left behind. 

Owmership would be both legitimately sorted and warranted.

I will find out more but it should be cheap as chips. 

IMG_2671.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

Posted

That’s been off the road a while.

IMG_9921.jpeg.cd8a64501d181c15c05cb9a9a515cf20.jpeg

  • Like 2
Posted

Might be worth chucking Ben at Tasty Classics a message? Seems his sort of bag

Posted
45 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

Might be worth chucking Ben at Tasty Classics a message? Seems his sort of bag

Would be nicer restored properly and tastefully though 😉

  • Like 1
Posted

The ultimately unsuccessful/abandoned restoration of a R20 was a feature of very early days here on AS. Local-to-me (and @wuvvum) member Baz was trying to get one sorted, but it didn't work out.

At the same time (circa 2006) this was festering away just a few miles from me:

Renault 20 in a bush

Long-gone now, sadly. Even in France they seem to be spectacularly rare, 6s and 14s are positively commonplace by comparison.

Posted
1 hour ago, Pat Earrings said:

Might be worth chucking Ben at Tasty Classics a message? Seems his sort of bag

I’m afraid I’m probably the last person on earth who could have a conversation with someone who calls themselves Tasty Classics and then look at himself in the mirror afterwards.

Really, I mentioned it in case someone here was either panel hunting or fancied a brave resto. YouTubers, as far as I’m concerned, can manage their own business affairs! 

Posted
26 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Tasty Classics

He comes across as a Grade A fud.

20s are properly cool and rare cars, I hope this finds a home.

  • Agree 3
Posted

That rear valance promises much crispiness - you'd hope the rest of the car is better, but who am I kidding...

 

Posted

I think the sad thing is - 11 or so years ago when I joined here - people would be falling over themselves to take this on, such was the weapons-grade masochism and self-sabotage. 

Now? It’s just a curiosity which garners half a dozen likes and no more. 

This sort of thing has never been my bag, so I shouldn’t complain. I’m not buying it either. 

But to my eyes a diesel Renault 20 in a barn should be gathering one or two people who will hand over the £100 the vendor wants. 

Posted

Where abouts is it? I have a mate who might be interested at that kind of price 

Posted

How many left suggests nine left.

Price doesn't matter, all about condition.  It might be that frilly bit at the back was more exposed than the rest - or perhaps not?

I do remember a friend of my parents having one.  It was an amazing car at the time, and went amazingly rusty too in really quite a short time. 

Hope it finds a home (and not on the track too), though it can't see it being the car of choice for racing.  

Posted
44 minutes ago, trigger said:

Where abouts is it? I have a mate who might be interested at that kind of price 

About 5 miles from Biggleswade. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Front shock and spring replacement on those are horrendous. 

 

  • Agree 2
Posted

It seems like the late 70s to early 1980s era of Renaults are incredibly rare now and I'm referring to 'in preservation'.

4s and 12s appear more common because they were made in such large numbers outside France, 16s are quite collectible it seems and there's at least 2 6s on these pages.

I think the last 18 I ever heard of was about a decade ago from Retroshite although a photo of a mint T reg beige one has surfaced on Instagram very recently. There is one other 14 owner that surfaces here sporadically and I think that must be the only roadworthy one left in the UK. The last 20 I read about was *that* one which was part of Tyregate®️ and as far as I can recall, there's been no sightings of a 30 in the UK for a long time.

Ther aren't even many MK1 5s in preservation in the UK, excluding the hot Alpine and mid engined Turbo models.

Conversely, I still see lots of 11s and even 9s being spotted on Instagram and there's still a few 21s and 25s being used. I guess its because they are a bit newer and slightly less prone to absolutely spectacular rot.

So I do hope this one lives on somehow. It won't be with me, I don't have the skills for a complete restoration but someone I hope.

Posted
15 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I think the sad thing is - 11 or so years ago when I joined here - people would be falling over themselves to take this on, such was the weapons-grade masochism and self-sabotage. 

Now? It’s just a curiosity which garners half a dozen likes and no more. 

This sort of thing has never been my bag, so I shouldn’t complain. I’m not buying it either. 

But to my eyes a diesel Renault 20 in a barn should be gathering one or two people who will hand over the £100 the vendor wants. 

Trouble is most of us have our hands full with projects already. That's my problem anyway. No lack of interest, just time.

I think these are nice cars and worth saving, esp a diesel one. Why not try a post here https://www.facebook.com/groups/127895257223718/?locale=en_GB and see if anyone is interested?

Posted
1 hour ago, N Dentressangle said:

Trouble is most of us have our hands full with projects already. That's my problem anyway. No lack of interest, just time.

I think these are nice cars and worth saving, esp a diesel one. Why not try a post here https://www.facebook.com/groups/127895257223718/?locale=en_GB and see if anyone is interested?

Thanks man but - much like with Youtubers et al - I'm not willing to get that involved and adopt some sort of pimp role with it.  I spoke with my mate this morning and a couple of scrap chaps are interested.  I reckon, truth be told, they'll end up with it for free by the time they've helped the lady move all the shit out of the shed to get it out.  Probably an hours work.

Lee reckons it's in reasonable nick but I think it's academic. It'll get bailed.

  • Sad 1
Posted

I always wished I'd bought a cheap welder 20 years ago and learnt, my life would (probably) be so different now! 

But I didn't so I have to watch from the sidelines to cheer on whoever does take it on. 

Posted
1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Thanks man but - much like with Youtubers et al - I'm not willing to get that involved and adopt some sort of pimp role with it.  I spoke with my mate this morning and a couple of scrap chaps are interested.  I reckon, truth be told, they'll end up with it for free by the time they've helped the lady move all the shit out of the shed to get it out.  Probably an hours work.

Lee reckons it's in reasonable nick but I think it's academic. It'll get bailed.

So you'd rather see it scrapped than let it go to a Youtuber?

I don't really get the hate for Ben at Tasty Classics on this thread (or in your case anyone that is a youtuber).  He's helped rescue loads of old shiters that nobody else would have touched.  And while they aren't always full restorations at least he gets the process started by  getting them running before passing them on and his passion for old shite cars is clearly genuine.  And he has fully restored quite a few old grotters.

  • Agree 2
Posted
20 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

Would be nicer restored properly and tastefully though 😉

how many cars have you rescued and restored "tastefully"?  

It's weird to hate on someone who is clearly passionate about old cars just becasue he makes a living from it on Youtube.

  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1
Posted
10 minutes ago, Arthur-walker said:

So you'd rather see it scrapped than let it go to a Youtuber?

I don't really get the hate for Ben at Tasty Classics on this thread (or in your case anyone that is a youtuber).  He's helped rescue loads of old shiters that nobody else would have touched.  And while they aren't always full restorations at least he gets the process started by  getting them running before passing them on and his passion for old shite cars is clearly genuine.  And he has fully restored quite a few old grotters.

Dude. Read the fucking post again.  It's not my car and at no stage did I say I'd rather see it scrapped.

What I did say is I'm not playing go-between in a long and drawn out saga with a Youtuber who will use it as a revenue stream.  As far as I'm concerned, they can find their own cars and run their own business affairs and I'll do the same with mine.  That's not unreasonable.

I also clearly implied that anyone who calls himself Tasty Classics is a cringey dick and I'd rather set myself on fire than deal with him.  That IS unreasonable, buy hey! What are you gonna do? (Clue - nothing)

It was posted here to the Autoshite community in case there was someone who was after parts or a brave restoration.  There was an ill-fated Renault 30 resto not very long ago but the account you're posting from means you probably don't remember that.  It wasn't beyond the realms that someone here would want it - in which case I'd help put buyer in touch with vendor whilst me and the other middle man step back.

For clarity, I don't hate YouTubers per-se.  Jonny Smith does it brilliantly.  He even sends himself up when he's doing his grubby little adverts for his merch.  I think he's great.  

But my tolerance for dealing with belmers is minimal. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

and as far as I can recall, there's been no sightings of a 30 in the UK for a long time.

There is, at least, a former 30 owner on this very forum; but I owned it 40 years ago and sold it as a stripper to a 20 owner.  

The car in question probably should be saved, if possible.  I am well aware though, that "you can't save them all" and in my condition I do well just to save the occasional* Corgi and Dinky!  Anyway it's diesel, I'm automatically oot.  If anyone does take it on (and I hope someone does), I wish him/her/them good luck.

Posted
3 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Dude. Read the fucking post again.  It's not my car and at no stage did I say I'd rather see it scrapped.

What I did say is I'm not playing go-between in a long and drawn out saga with a Youtuber who will use it as a revenue stream.  As far as I'm concerned, they can find their own cars and run their own business affairs and I'll do the same with mine.  That's not unreasonable.

I also clearly implied that anyone who calls himself Tasty Classics is a cringey dick and I'd rather set myself on fire than deal with him.  That IS unreasonable, buy hey! What are you gonna do? (Clue - nothing)

It was posted here to the Autoshite community in case there was someone who was after parts or a brave restoration.  There was an ill-fated Renault 30 resto not very long ago but the account you're posting from means you probably don't remember that.  It wasn't beyond the realms that someone here would want it - in which case I'd help put buyer in touch with vendor whilst me and the other middle man step back.

For clarity, I don't hate YouTubers per-se.  Jonny Smith does it brilliantly.  He even sends himself up when he's doing his grubby little adverts for his merch.  I think he's great.  

But my tolerance for dealing with belmers is minimal. 

 

Nobody is saying you'd have to get involved in a long drawn out saga and it seems your resentment at the fact he may make some money off the back of it is what's really stopping you from wanting him to get involved. Tasty Classics.. It's just a name!  Most channel names sound pretty cringey tbh.

Jonny Smith is ok to watch but other than his knowledge on old cars he's not particularly skilled.. he just outsources all the hard work to other people and stands around with gloves on pretending he's being hands on .  Ben at Tasty on the other hand gets properly stuck in and fixes all his cars himself and is very entertaining with it (although I understand wether you find him entertaining is subjective) but his passion always shines through.

I've actually been following this forum for the best part of 25 years (I remember stumbling across here sometime in the 2000's... but I'm not going to enter into a who was on here first arguement!)  My post count is low becasue I'm  the shy depressive type who normally doesn't post online much, however you're right.. I don't remember that particular Renault 30 thread.

All I'm saying is Ben would actually make a good candidate becasue he's great at resurrecting long abandoned cars. 

  • Like 1
Posted
2 minutes ago, Arthur-walker said:

 

Nobody is saying you'd have to get involved in a long drawn out saga and it seems your resentment at the fact he may make some money off the back of it is what's really stopping you from wanting him to get involved. Tasty Classics.. It's just a name!  Most channel names sound pretty cringey tbh.

Jonny Smith is ok to watch but other than his knowledge on old cars he's not particularly skilled.. he just outsources all the hard work to other people and stands around with gloves on pretending he's being hands on .  Ben at Tasty on the other hand gets properly stuck in and fixes all his cars himself and is very entertaining with it (although I understand wether you find him entertaining is subjective) but his passion always shines through.

I've actually been following this forum for the best part of 25 years (I remember stumbling across here sometime in the 2000's... but I'm not going to enter into a who was on here first arguement!)  My post count is low becasue I'm  the shy depressive type who normally doesn't post online much, however you're right.. I don't remember that particular Renault 30 thread.

All I'm saying is Ben would actually make a good candidate becasue he's great at resurrecting long abandoned cars. 

Ugh, why am I arguing with strangers on the internet.

I don't resent anyone making money in any way they decide.  But on the basis they don't help me to make a living, I'll match their energy (to use popular parlance).  That's both equal and fair.  

And yes - you've been here longer.  That is, of course, if it's not a sock account.  I care not either way.

I advertised here for members of the forum to consider. Nothing more. 

Posted

I don't know what it is with Autoshite and Renault 20/30's

Whenever they get mentioned, purchased etc it always seems to end up with a load of grief and folks infighting!

 

Bizarre! 

Posted
6 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

There is, at least, a former 30 owner on this very forum; but I owned it 40 years ago and sold it as a stripper to a 20 owner.  

The car in question probably should be saved, if possible.  I am well aware though, that "you can't save them all" and in my condition I do well just to save the occasional* Corgi and Dinky!  Anyway it's diesel, I'm automatically oot.  If anyone does take it on (and I hope someone does), I wish him/her/them good luck.

You've had a more varied career than I imagined

  • Haha 9
Posted
40 minutes ago, Volksy said:

I don't know what it is with Autoshite and Renault 20/30's

Whenever they get mentioned, purchased etc it always seems to end up with a load of grief and folks infighting!

 

Bizarre! 

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CAR?

@mouseflakes

  • Haha 3
Posted
1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

You've had a more varied career than I imagined

I've had a way more varied career than I ever imagined!  Maybe that's for a different thread...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...