sierraman Posted February 16, 2025 Posted February 16, 2025 Hats off to you I donβt know how you are doing it outside on a driveway at the moment with how cold it is.Β beko1987, MrGTI6, Pat Earrings and 2 others 5
Mally Posted February 16, 2025 Posted February 16, 2025 Eva did the hard bit. I always mix the numbers up. beko1987, Rust Collector, Cavcraft and 2 others 5
beko1987 Posted February 16, 2025 Author Posted February 16, 2025 46 minutes ago, sierraman said: Hats off to you I donβt know how you are doing it outside on a driveway at the moment with how cold it is.Β Thanks! Driveway? I wish π That's the road outside the back of my gate. Luckily it almost immediately becomes a dead end so not too busy. It's why the neighbors know I work on cars! I could go to mums driveway but if anything went horribly wrong I'd be away from home which would be a bastard suddenly.Β The cold is a bastard though. Terribly timed on that front, and there's more to do π Scruffy Bodger and GrumpiusMaximus 2
beko1987 Posted February 16, 2025 Author Posted February 16, 2025 I have just done one last job though, make the engine more naked. It's tiny once all the plastic is off π I can see the glow plugs. I squirted some plus gas down into each of the recesses to soak, then for a laugh (starting at the drivers/belt side) popped the wire off and tried my socket. Mostly to see if it would fit but... A small grunt on 1 and 2 later and they did start to loosen. I left them be bar that though.Β The big issue is my socket won't fit into the 3rd and 3th one! The injector fuel pipes are in the way and stop the socket going square onto the head of the plug, do I have to move those or os there a thinner socket I could buy? Their 10mm I know now at least.Β Going to run the car without the cover on for a bit either way. It might blow all the leaves out that are trapped under the edges.Β Cavcraft 1
beko1987 Posted February 16, 2025 Author Posted February 16, 2025 Someone on the qashqai Facebook group mentioned that Gates is the oem.for that engine... I fished the cambelt out of the bin and lo and behold, a Renault badge π Could this, coupled with the one piece gasket I had to snap in two be a big clue to this potentially being the original cambelt stuff? Otherwise it needs decent odds that it was done properly at a dealer once ππ¬ Ignore the dirt in it, it's been in the bin... Wonder if I'll find any oem markings on the waterpump and tensioner π€ Coprolalia, GrumpiusMaximus, Cavcraft and 2 others 5
twosmoke300 Posted February 16, 2025 Posted February 16, 2025 If you had to break the wp gasket then the wp was certainly originalΒ beko1987 1
artdjones Posted February 16, 2025 Posted February 16, 2025 As far as where changing up points should be, I have the same engine in an automatic Megane, and it always seems to change up at 21-2200 rpm at a reasonable amount of accelerator pressure. beko1987 1
Noel Tidybeard Posted February 18, 2025 Posted February 18, 2025 if you frequent meriden and you want to take a chance with it, i've got an 096 efb battery which wasn't good enough for the start/stop on the civic sat sitting doing nothing (solihull by the way)
Fraz Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 Re Glow Plugs - I bought a deep 1/4 socket and small extension for them and got them all out and in without hassle or moving much else.Β beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 19, 2025 Author Posted February 19, 2025 5 hours ago, Fraz said: Re Glow Plugs - I bought a deep 1/4 socket and small extension for them and got them all out and in without hassle or moving much else.Β Good to know, thanks! I was going to try a different style of socket I think and hope it sneaks around the pipes better than the really tall single piece ones I boughtΒ Cavcraft 1
beko1987 Posted February 22, 2025 Author Posted February 22, 2025 It's not raining and fairly warm this morning, so I pulled the qq round the back (started first time although I did the glowplug lights twice, now it's warm it's fixed* I'm on the passenger side today, not to really do anything, but have a poke about. Annoyingly nothing this side is split or broken or noticeably loose (no play in this track rod end like the drivers side)Β Lower ball joint boot isn't split Rear bush of the arm isn't cracked a bit like the other side. It's all quite clean. However, the bottom arm, track rod end and droplink will all be replaced anyway with the drivers side, so I got the wire brush and plus gas out and got all the big main bolts moved and re-tightened After that, I was curious as to how much shit might be built up behind the tons of plastic this car has, so popped the mud flap off and it's nice and clean! Must drain well which bodes nicely for the rest of it π€ I then noticed that all but 3 of the fixings on this inner arch liner were missing. The original clips are shit, I need buy 100 of the size from my multi pack I've been using.Β I replaced all of them which might have been stupid as I've probably got to have this back off to top the gearbox oil up after doing the driver side driveshaft π I also found this! The brake backing plate has been touching the disc for a while I think...Β *bend* fixed Then I rounded it off by replacing a missing fixing causing this tiny air baffle to rattle around.Β Glancing at the rear arms, I think once the front suspension is tidied up my attention with krust needs to go to the back in the spring π No holes I've poked through yet though π€ Firing the parts cannon this week on payday. It's having cheap stuff thrown at it as I've not found any of these mythical uprated parts yet. At least it'll get it tidied up for now, and when one thing goes in the future I can look more throughly into just that part.Β It's still parked out back, might waft a vacuum round it for the sheer fucking thrill of it in a bit! It stinks of 17 air fresheners, I've not driven and smoked in it enough yet to get rid of it Β GrumpiusMaximus, Coprolalia and FakeConcern 3
beko1987 Posted February 22, 2025 Author Posted February 22, 2025 After that, I enquired about the cabin filter, which with a wiring connector unplugged wasn't the worst I've ever tried to access π€· It's very clogged and fucked though, so for now I've just not refitted it. Air speed through the vents is much improved. Will chuck a new one back in soon. This made a mess however A cable tie to tighten this very loose rattly bit of trim later And I got the vacuum and drill brush out Charlie's scooter ramp made an excellent clean base for me to vacuum the mats off on too Pissing around with the drivers seat I found a knob that gives me some lumbar support too π₯³ Will try that out and see if I don't need my clip on one.Β I vacuumed, dry brushed, re vacuumed and wiped down every surface and the headlining. It all came up rather well The drivers mat was fully fucked. Big hole that I kept catching my foot in so it got slung in the back on the 2nd trip out (getting shit everywhere) so I fashioned a new one from a carpet tile Seems ok, will see if it moves about any more than this did I worked all around the car and ended up in the boot. There is a small moisture ingress issue I see.Β I had all the inserts and plastic stuff out and gave everything a good wipe down and vacuum, and found tons of dog hair!Β Happy with that! Not alot to do now until I order some parts and get the front end sorted out, and some tracking to put the wheel back on straight (and I've got to change both tre's)Β 320touring, garethj, FakeConcern and 12 others 15
320touring Posted February 22, 2025 Posted February 22, 2025 Now that's an @beko1987Β post we've been waiting to see! Β Come up well so it hasπ beko1987, loserone and abir246 1 2
beko1987 Posted February 22, 2025 Author Posted February 22, 2025 25 minutes ago, 320touring said: Now that's an @beko1987Β post we've been waiting to see! Β Come up well so it hasπ Certainly not bad for a first pass! It's nice to have a car that has all it's inner trim in tact and not held in with random wood screws that I've fitted over the years/missing fully π₯³ 320touring 1
Tickman Posted February 22, 2025 Posted February 22, 2025 @Jim Bell don't look at the heinous crime to floor mats that has been committed! Erebus, sdkrc, Stanky and 2 others 5
beko1987 Posted February 22, 2025 Author Posted February 22, 2025 20 minutes ago, Tickman said: @Jim Bell don't look at the heinous crime to floor mats that has been committed! I've driven to my mums now and it didn't move about or get caught at all π
Jim Bell Posted February 22, 2025 Posted February 22, 2025 35 minutes ago, Tickman said: @Jim Bell don't look at the heinous crime to floor mats that has been committed! Β Β Β Β Coprolalia, beko1987, GrumpiusMaximus and 14 others 17
beko1987 Posted February 22, 2025 Author Posted February 22, 2025 New floor mat is excellent! Didn't move at all. Went up to my mums, then we went for a drive out and a coffee then I came home. They all fit in the car well, there's tons of room behind me too which is fab. In the Xsara even Charlie struggled behind me.Β The fuel light comes on at 95 miles of range/2 bars too. It can have a drink on Tuesday. With a mix of a/b road driving, either mildly fast or "wtf are we doing 30 in a 50 for you bellend π‘" it's saying 52.5mpg which is very decent! It's very comfortable to drive. The lumbar support in the seat is shit though so my thing got clipped back on. Maybe one day in the future I'll try and find a drivers seat with better lumbar support and non collapsed side foam to replace it with, but it's OK for now.Β I'm getting used to the gearing now. 1st and 2nd are barely glanced into, then 3rd and it's wanting 4th by 40, 5th by 45/50 and I was having it happily in 6th with some acceleration at 55/60. It keeps 3rd at barely 1k if it's rolling already, the Xsara would be wanting 2nd by then. Bit more rowing up and down gears than I'm used to π Assuming replacing alot of the steering components then some tracking fixes the clonking and random steering shake that comes and goes it'll be silent inside!Β Coprolalia, Jim Bell, FakeConcern and 1 other 4
GrumpiusMaximus Posted February 23, 2025 Posted February 23, 2025 How long does it take you to decide which vacuum cleaner to use? Tenmil Socket and beko1987 2
beko1987 Posted February 23, 2025 Author Posted February 23, 2025 4 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said: How long does it take you to decide which vacuum cleaner to use? A few minutes π I wanted something powerful but quiet. That narrowed it down a bit, then I didn't want to drag the nice karcher cylinder I've got about outside as I want to sell that at some point, so the Victor V9 I used was the next obvious choice!Β Once I've done it really well a few times (it needs the 2000w Numatic on it really next but that's quite* loud) I'll be able to keep it tidy with a cordless thing here and there as it'll just be surface dirt.Β GrumpiusMaximus 1
beko1987 Posted February 24, 2025 Author Posted February 24, 2025 I think J&R's ebay store has run out of stock... All of a sudden my Β£51 driveshaft in my basket went to Β£900+ This spooked me a bit.Β Still plenty of cheaper options around, but this is the 2nd time I've had several people all give the same advice for the part, I can't ignore that. So I spent Β£95 directly with J&R on one TIme will tell if they have no stock at all anywhere or if it's just ebay oddness but I'm not having them suddenly go out of stock nationwide just when I want to fix my car! The rest of the suspension parts havent increased in cost so they can wait until weds still (youtube money day today, my main payday is weds, I'm borrowing from peter to pay paul here but needs must!) On the plus side removing the driveshaft from my eay basket knocks the cost down a little bit π Which I've just hit buy it now on (Gearbox oil, track rod ends, bottom arms and a new bolt set for the arms, and anotehr type of glowplug socket π€) Good job I have many dysons in flux and pending to come in! Got to get the tracking done fairly swiftly after nailing the above on too Tickman, Rust Collector, Coprolalia and 3 others 6
beko1987 Posted February 24, 2025 Author Posted February 24, 2025 I was partly expecting this email, that explains the wholesale ebay price increase I'm half thinking now, I'll ask them kindly for a refund, then I can change the driveshaft without needing to get the tracking done can't I? Just pop the joints apart to get the lower arm out of the hub and change the shaft... Might just do everything bar the driveshaft now, then next month when they have stock and hopefully the cheaper ebay prices come back, buy one then at the cheaper price?Β Otherwise there are other Β£100 options about... But I could put it off a month, i dont think the driveshaft is causing any of the steering wobble or knocks itself abir246 and Coprolalia 2
Noel Tidybeard Posted February 25, 2025 Posted February 25, 2025 split cv boot? e.gΒ https://www.amazon.co.uk/CVS18-Universal-Constant-Velocity-Replacement/dp/B0080DLLIY?crid=3U665T7IMOBVR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.I11NVREQ51-S0mlwe5PcIQu_e3hBQdCV6lDlyVVwKxwR3lmM_wtc9scCczClALIgBQf4roe8GoedACqiAdRYpMFYNpvSXZtwKcT355WrkLLyEmlPEBMBRc8m9o05bb-c8q8bGV5Io6tQ05Mc-N2SDhXF3JLD70fEmgscrmvalOtOHX2MPqCoiNNKOSfym_hMUksXftgimR8YQWkiSNcgKzXzecQyK3dniDbCzz7c9tM.HJT5vrcd34tHJmoJu8WeJgEY0ji0w65gpGVkhRRZ8Jk&dib_tag=se&keywords=split+cv+boot+repair+kit&qid=1740506810&sprefix=split+cv+boot%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3 beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 25, 2025 Author Posted February 25, 2025 10 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said: split cv boot? e.gΒ https://www.amazon.co.uk/CVS18-Universal-Constant-Velocity-Replacement/dp/B0080DLLIY?crid=3U665T7IMOBVR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.I11NVREQ51-S0mlwe5PcIQu_e3hBQdCV6lDlyVVwKxwR3lmM_wtc9scCczClALIgBQf4roe8GoedACqiAdRYpMFYNpvSXZtwKcT355WrkLLyEmlPEBMBRc8m9o05bb-c8q8bGV5Io6tQ05Mc-N2SDhXF3JLD70fEmgscrmvalOtOHX2MPqCoiNNKOSfym_hMUksXftgimR8YQWkiSNcgKzXzecQyK3dniDbCzz7c9tM.HJT5vrcd34tHJmoJu8WeJgEY0ji0w65gpGVkhRRZ8Jk&dib_tag=se&keywords=split+cv+boot+repair+kit&qid=1740506810&sprefix=split+cv+boot%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3 Technically yes, that's all I think it is but I don't know (bar it not being split in Sept 2024)the condition of the joint inside now... And it's the inner boot, not the outer which I think means the shaft has to come out anyway to get it changed From all I've heard over the years about fitting cv boots it put me off enough to just want to lob a whole new shaft on. Open to looking into it though, it's not getting done this month regardless.Β
beko1987 Posted February 25, 2025 Author Posted February 25, 2025 This morning was also the morning I ragged the fuck out of it properly for the first time π I'd stuck Β£40 in, my mate jumped in at the petrol station (almost opposite his house) and off we went. Joined a fairly clear m40 so I gunned it through 3rd and 4th to the red line and held it a while and it didn't blow any shit out of the back which was good, and it does take off above 3k π Coming home was more normal although I did my first swift exit from a junction as well and it was fine. Heaters are nice and warm, temp gauge sits bang in the middle now so I'm almost ready to trust that the timing belt and thermostat job went well π wuvvum, 320touring, FakeConcern and 3 others 6
beko1987 Posted February 25, 2025 Author Posted February 25, 2025 Hang on, this inner cv boot might actually be quite easy...Β Just watched this video Β The whole joint dismantles it seems, one circlip to remove and the end come off revealing a nice simple shaft...Β https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235810641777?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yi1ojZncSxy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=QOvj0cTJQtq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY I might do this instead... Seperately to the steering stuff, but I can have a good gander at it all as I work on that. I've not noticed any noises from the driveshaft, impossible to feel for any play in it currently though π
sierraman Posted February 26, 2025 Posted February 26, 2025 13 hours ago, beko1987 said: Technically yes, that's all I think it is but I don't know (bar it not being split in Sept 2024)the condition of the joint inside now... And it's the inner boot, not the outer which I think means the shaft has to come out anyway to get it changed From all I've heard over the years about fitting cv boots it put me off enough to just want to lob a whole new shaft on. Open to looking into it though, it's not getting done this month regardless.Β A split boot might work on an inner joint as thereβs less movement. But theyβre a bit shit to say the least! If itβs a minor tear then a smear of RTV should keep it from getting worse for a bit.
beko1987 Posted February 26, 2025 Author Posted February 26, 2025 47 minutes ago, sierraman said: A split boot might work on an inner joint as thereβs less movement. But theyβre a bit shit to say the least! If itβs a minor tear then a smear of RTV should keep it from getting worse for a bit. No it's a massive split. No fixing it. But I'm more resolved to just put a cheap boot on it now I've realised it's fairly easy.Β I could potentially do it without removing the inner part from the gearbox at all and not loose any fluid but I was going to excuse that as a 150k partial gearbox fluid change into the bargain, and removing the whole thing and working on it in the garden sounds easier in the long run. Will have to take a gamble on the actual joint being OK inside, might peek into it and check it doesnt look gritty and shitty Dan302 and Coprolalia 2
Rust Collector Posted February 26, 2025 Posted February 26, 2025 I have done inboard cv boots using stretch boots before, you still put them on from the outboard end and then send it all the way up the shaft. It can be a bit of a bastard getting them over the harmonic balancer, depending on if itβs fitted and the size of it. Ive done them by splitting the inboard end in situ before as well, itβs just a fucker if/when the rollers and spider fall out. I replaced the outer CV boot on the Clio recently, that had a huge split which must have happened between feb last year and when I found it in November. It wasnβt clicking or exhibiting any other symptoms of mechanical sadness, so I cleaned it and put fresh grease in then chucked a boot on. If it does fail later down the line then itβll get a cv joint or driveshaft at that time. @beko1987Β I wouldnβt be stressing over replacing the whole shaft if the cv joint isnβt running rough, Iβd just be throwing a Β£5 boot at it and kicking the can down the street. Other opinions on the correct approach are probably available however, and YMMV etc. etc. beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 26, 2025 Author Posted February 26, 2025 34 minutes ago, Rust Collector said: I have done inboard cv boots using stretch boots before, you still put them on from the outboard end and then send it all the way up the shaft. It can be a bit of a bastard getting them over the harmonic balancer, depending on if itβs fitted and the size of it. Ive done them by splitting the inboard end in situ before as well, itβs just a fucker if/when the rollers and spider fall out. I replaced the outer CV boot on the Clio recently, that had a huge split which must have happened between feb last year and when I found it in November. It wasnβt clicking or exhibiting any other symptoms of mechanical sadness, so I cleaned it and put fresh grease in then chucked a boot on. If it does fail later down the line then itβll get a cv joint or driveshaft at that time. @beko1987Β I wouldnβt be stressing over replacing the whole shaft if the cv joint isnβt running rough, Iβd just be throwing a Β£5 boot at it and kicking the can down the street. Other opinions on the correct approach are probably available however, and YMMV etc. etc. Thanks! I'm going to just to the rubber I think. On this driveshaft, the rollers are staked onto the bearing bit that gets removed, so even easier, nothing* should fall apart. I've got to buy a kit with the grease and clamps as I don't have those lying around, but it should indeed kick the can down the road nicely!Β Mine must have split moderately recently, probably Christmas time? The grease is still fairly fresh and gooey all over the subframe. Plus being on the drivers side and mildly behind the undertray it gets less road water onto it hopefully.Β Looking again at the mot it probably had the passenger side one done a few years ago And the arms as they don't look awful and old, but the drivers side ball joint boot is gone and the arms are cheap so π€· (probably why their only lasting a year or so...)Β Rust Collector 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now