bigfella2 Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 37 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said: Dont get a gates kit . The tensioners and water pumps are wank now . INA ones from GSF are the best bet now and not expensive It's gates that only make the belt its ina, skf etc make the bearings so not convinced the bearings or tensioners are wank. But I've heard the water pumps are not the best,I was looking at an skf belt and pump kit, obviously a decent brand, BUT it stated plastic impeller on the autodoc site, wasn't convinced until I looked on the skf site. YES Plastic impeller. Fuck sake.
twosmoke300 Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 1 hour ago, bigfella2 said: It's gates that only make the belt its ina, skf etc make the bearings so not convinced the bearings or tensioners are wank. But I've heard the water pumps are not the best,I was looking at an skf belt and pump kit, obviously a decent brand, BUT it stated plastic impeller on the autodoc site, wasn't convinced until I looked on the skf site. YES Plastic impeller. Fuck sake. Nearly everything has plastic impellers now . Canโt remember the last time I had one give trouble - may a 1.8T about 20 yrs ago ? The gates WP that shat itself a couple of months ago and fucked a head - I remember that very wellย RoverFolkUs and bigfella2 1 1
twosmoke300 Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 2 hours ago, beko1987 said: Piss off, im not being held responsible for putting a thread about a bloody qashqai in the main forum... That's a war I don't want to start by accident Can you imagine ๐ I popped into town earlier and made a Dyson v11 and v7 refurb turn into money into my account in readiness. If anyone might be knowledgeable enough to perhaps drop a part number of a nice, full complete known decent kit I can paste into ebay andย hit go on I'd give them many beers another day in a field in the rain somewhere ๐ (can be a bit more ยฃ but I want the tensioner and idler and everything. )ย Go to GSF . Too much snide stuff on eBayย RoverFolkUs, Jazoli and beko1987 1 2
beko1987 Posted February 7, 2025 Author Posted February 7, 2025 It drove to Meriden really nicely! I barely went over 2.5krpm and the car seemed to enjoy it fine.ย Steering doesn't shake, it doesn't lurch about, the brake are fab, it's mostly comfy although my back doe hurt a bit.ย We dumped it in Meriden and I jumped into dad's enyaq which was instantly more familiar to drive! And better to crawl around the m6 to wolves in
Bren Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 A relative had a 10 plate example. He liked it much however it scraped through the MOT and he was advised the front subframe would prevent it getting another so it was p/x for a 2015 mondeo. beko1987 1
EspenO Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 9 hours ago, horriblemercedes said: There is an important difference between compliance and exemption. Iโve learnt that registration documents for a British vehicle doesnโt have anything to do with who actually owns it. ย Anyone can apply for one, and it might actually work. This may or may not give them legal posession of the car. Last week I learnt that it might (or might not) be only the picture on an UK driverโs licence that expires, not the licence itself. And now this. ย You really have to be born British to understand this level of bureaucracy, I think ๐คฏ mercedade, horriblemercedes and grogee 2 1
horriblemercedes Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 7 minutes ago, EspenO said: Iโve learnt that registration documents for a British vehicle doesnโt have anything to do with who actually owns it. ย Anyone can apply for one, and it might actually work. This may or may not give them legal posession of the car. Last week I learned that it might (or might not) be only the picture on an UK driverโs licence that expires, not the licence itself. And now this. ย You really have to be born British to understand this level of bureaucracy, I think ๐คฏ I think in this example, it's just part of English. "compliant" and "exempt" are not synonyms.ย ย English is my first language and I was born in England, but these distinctions in language exist in the other languages I speak EspenO 1
EspenO Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 Well yes, in Norwegian compliant (in this sense) would be ยซoverholderยป and exempt (from) would be ยซunntatt (fra)ยป. But never, under any circumstance, would something be in compliance with the regulations to make it taxย charge exempt, but still be taxedย chargedย ๐
horriblemercedes Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 1 hour ago, EspenO said: Well yes, in Norwegian compliant (in this sense) would be ยซoverholderยป and exempt (from) would be ยซunntatt (fra)ยป. But never, under any circumstance, would something be in compliance with the regulations to make it tax exempt, but still be taxed ๐ It is still taxed, but ULEZ charge is not a tax. I have a 2008 Saab diesel and a 1936 Austin petrol. The Austin is exempt from the emissions charge but in the Saab, I must pay it. The Austin is exempt from the regulations and the Saab doesn't comply with the regulations
EspenO Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 Sorry, that was unclear on my part. I thought of ulez as a tax ๐ Okay, so your Austin is exempt due to being a a classic/historic vehicle, and the modern Saab is not ulez compliant and therefore not exempt. ย Thatโs perfectly logical. But in the case of this Quasqai, can it really be in compliance with ulez regulations, but not ulez charge exempt? (Sorry about cluttering up your thread, beko1987!) beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 Quite alright, carry on!ย I've just got home. Its got a cold start issue I think... Took a good few churns to lumpily fire at Meriden outside some poor fuckers house at 11pm ๐ Once I got home an hour and a half later it restarted perfectly fine.ย Thinking back it was crap to start this morning too. And at the sellers but it had been parked up a bit before. Glow plugs? ๐ It's not running too warm either (although I barely breached 2.25k revs so I've not helped it get hot either) so I'll add a thermostat to the list, which will be easy with the cambelt. And I need to find out what colour coolant it needs.ย Otherwise? The drive there was alright, bit trafficky but on the way home was when I warmed to it a bit. A trip I've done many many times in the Xsara... Was blissful in this! Ignoring the wheel being off centre and the radio does mask the knocking a treat it wa lovely! Foul rain and wind didn't touch it, its so planted and nice, dads enyaq gets pushed about more.ย The interior blowers are shit imo so I'm hoping the cabin filter is really really clogged.ย Work to do, but I put the new CD i bought from the unknown little band who were the support for Gloryhammer in as I quite liked them and they are indeed very good, and the sound system is awesome in it vs the Xsara, mostly because it's not got 3 out of 4 speakers blown ๐ย I'm gonna class that 55.3mpg as the max I'll ever see once I can start to go fast in it, but it's a nice place to waft away the miles. Which I've not been able to do for years. Blue gooner was the last car I had with Cruise. The headlights are fantastic too. The dipped beam is about as bright as full beams are in the Xsara. I've been driving that around with the fog lights on, as their in the main headlight cluster it makes the lights brighter! Can't do that in the qq as it's got seperate fogs What took a bit of an 'oh shit' moment was after driving dad's enyaq across to Wolverhampton and back my car doesn't slow itself down to the car infront ๐ The brakes work very well though, no shake or wobble. Will check that back disc later and see if it's cleaned up privatewire, Dave_Q, Coprolalia and 2 others 5
Fraz Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 Iโve had a couple of the 1.5 engines in these and the are really slow to start when the how plugs are starting to go.ย ย they can be tested on the carโฆ.. beko1987 1
jonathan_dyane Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 If the battery is shit it might not be running the starter fast enough to start easilyย
Pat Earrings Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 The coolant in there is the correct spec L248 Nissan stuff. Obviously just need to check the strength to see if it needs changing but can easily buy the premix online for not much. beko1987 1
Dick Cheeseburger Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 Mine turns over slowly on the starter on a cold start and takes a few seconds. It starts straight away when warm though. It's been the same since I bought it over two years ago and has never been an issue. 2smoke reckons they're prone to starter motor issues and it's 99.9% that. Does yours have the same symptoms?ย
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 Just woken up ๐ It span over fast enough and I'll say 'normally' as it was struggling, it just didn't catch and fire the engine.ย But the battery could still be crap, not ruling it out! Was reading some forum posts that said to give the primer bulb a few squeezes before I next start it cold and see if that changes the symptoms.ย
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 1 hour ago, Pat Earrings said: The coolant in there is the correct spec L248 Nissan stuff. Obviously just need to check the strength to see if it needs changing but can easily buy the premix online for not much. ยฃ10 a bottle more for the proper L248 stuff from what I can see. I'll need 10l (8.something apparently). When I pull the waterpump I'm going to need it then regardless of its strength Can't I just use ECP red coolant for now and almost treat it like a flush and if it deserves it in a few months re-do the coolant? Or is it an no no?ย
autopaul Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 Stick to the green, red is likely to increase corrosion in the systemย Pat Earrings, mercedade and beko1987 1 2
Pat Earrings Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 1 hour ago, beko1987 said: ยฃ10 a bottle more for the proper L248 stuff from what I can see. I'll need 10l (8.something apparently). When I pull the waterpump I'm going to need it then regardless of its strength Can't I just use ECP red coolant for now and almost treat it like a flush and if it deserves it in a few months re-do the coolant? Or is it an no no?ย Donโt mix coolant.ย ย https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226178125910?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oGyQ50uEQ1e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=KCW16zwOSD-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY you wonโt drain all 10 litres tbh. A big bottle of that and a couple smaller ones youโll be fine beko1987 1
bigfella2 Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 I wonder if it's green because of the relationship between Renault and Nissan, as Renault uses green coolant. Many people change to red and have no problems, but not sure they are compatible unless you flush the system a couple of times. beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 Gah, if I'd seen this 20 minutes ago before I fired the parts cannon I'd have saved myself a few quid... But I didn't and now have 2x 5l coming from that exact link (or the other identical one that as above it)ย ยฃ220, not awful.ย Re the starting issue, I watched a YouTube video and it's got a primer bulb ๐ฑ Not had that since the xud's. This was amazing as I went out to it after not touching it since 00.30 last night and gave the bulb some pumps. And it pumped right up and went hard.ย As I went to go turn it on the postman came wandering by and we had a nice chat (he likes it). He's having his own car issues which I'm gonna make a post about in a bit for him. I told him he's gonna be bringing me alot of parcels in the week! He said he'll put them in the garden if they come Tuesday ๐ (and with royal mail although the evri lady is equally as lovely. She had her Dyson v8 refurbished for free the year before last as a reciprocal gratitude for her also doing the same ๐ Then Pete from across the way came home and was equally complimentary about it. And laughed when I said it was a bit fucked but as he said, I could buy a ยฃ2k+ one and have the same problems.ย This caused about half an hour to go by, as I also checked the wiper linkages and gave them a squirt, and qyeballed up a new wiper motor which looks fucking each tbh. So I went to fire it up and...ย It did churn for a short while but nice and fast then caught and fired up OK with no shaking like it did last night after I yammered on the key for ages. Sigh, how do I fix a potential fuel leak back issue? Or is the answer still as it was for the XUD and to just replace the priming bulb and some pipes?ย Next time I start it I'll pump it rock solid then immediately turn it on and if it fires fine then I'll be alot happier that it's just that ๐
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 2 minutes ago, bigfella2 said: I wonder if it's green because of the relationship between Renault and Nissan, as Renault uses green coolant. Many people change to red and have no problems, but not sure they are compatible unless you flush the system a couple of times. Yea, I'm not going to bother to do that I don't think ๐ I treated it to the legit stuff, I want this to be a nice quick simple* job bigfella2 1
twosmoke300 Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 Poor start can be small splits on the fuel primer bulb ( if itโs got one - seems random which ones do and donโt ) allowing air inย beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 7 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said: Poor start can be small splits on the fuel primer bulb ( if itโs got one - seems random which ones do and donโt ) allowing air inย Yes it's got one. I pumped it from soft to solid earlier and it started way better. Will try and reproduce another time (but I don't wanna keep firing it up then turning it off atm... ๐๐ฌ)ย
twosmoke300 Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 1 minute ago, beko1987 said: Yes it's got one. I pumped it from soft to solid earlier and it started way better. Will try and reproduce another time (but I don't wanna keep firing it up then turning it off atm... ๐๐ฌ)ย Look around each end of the bulb where it attaches to the pipe . They ainโt cheap from Renault / Nissan as it comes as part of the piping .What I do now is carefully cut the old bulb off and Iโve found some 3/4 ish bore fuel rated pipe that fits over the ends and retains the original one way valve . You canโt use it as a primer any more but I just use the vac sucker when changing filters anyway . Happily post you up 4 inch of the pipe if you need itย Rust Collector and beko1987 2
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 6 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said: Look around each end of the bulb where it attaches to the pipe . They ainโt cheap from Renault / Nissan as it comes as part of the piping .What I do now is carefully cut the old bulb off and Iโve found some 3/4 ish bore fuel rated pipe that fits over the ends and retains the original one way valve . You canโt use it as a primer any more but I just use the vac sucker when changing filters anyway . Happily post you up 4 inch of the pipe if you need itย Thanks! Leave it with me, I'll check how consistently and well it does start over the next few days with priming it first and rule anything else out.ย I do have fuel filter on the list, although quite far down it. It's recommended to get some fancy ยฃ40 one too over cheaper types as well from various YouTube videos and forum posts. I'll plan the whole job so I can do the filter, prime that then do the primer bulb (I assume I'll get dieselly doing the work? ๐)ย
twosmoke300 Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 1 minute ago, beko1987 said: Thanks! Leave it with me, I'll check how consistently and well it does start over the next few days with priming it first and rule anything else out.ย I do have fuel filter on the list, although quite far down it. It's recommended to get some fancy ยฃ40 one too over cheaper types as well from various YouTube videos and forum posts. I'll plan the whole job so I can do the filter, prime that then do the primer bulb (I assume I'll get dieselly doing the work? ๐)ย Just donโt get a cheapy universal primer bulb . You will have to cut your original nylon pipes and the rubber is wank and wonโt last a yearย beko1987 1
beko1987 Posted February 8, 2025 Author Posted February 8, 2025 Can't I just hammer an XUD one over it? ๐ ย Scruffy Bodger 1
Tayne Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 1 hour ago, beko1987 said: ย ย . And it pumped right up and went hard.ย ย ๐ ย ย ย AnnoyingPentium, privatewire, abir246 and 3 others 6
dome Posted February 8, 2025 Posted February 8, 2025 What's the temperature like where you are? I had problems with my K9K Mรฉgane when temps got below about 3-4 degrees which turned out to be glow plugs. Similar to you it would churn for ages and not start.ย bezzabsa 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now