Jump to content

2009 CashCow - Sporadic Pulley sounding noise 🙄


Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Brigsy said:

The renault cv's click forever, dont worry about it if the boot is intact/cv has grease in. Its only old vauxhalls that you needed to watch clicky cv's, as they tended to explode shortly after from experience/driving like i stole it back in the day.

When i built my kangoo, both outer cvs were clicking as used shafts/budget build. Still took 380hp for months🤣

Also looking at the black cashcow/gear selector pic, it has a bodge clamp over one of the gearcable ends in the engine bay. Check there's no play in the socket, as the bodge clamps are fitted to stop cable popping off, i guess somebody has had issues before

Good to hear, cheers! I wonder how long my qq would stay alive with 380bhp 🤔 

The black qq (my mates wife's) certainly has issues in the gear dept. Tbh the gearbox side is better, it's the gear shift mech in the car that's fucked. 

I think the centre pin is snapped which causes the issue, and can be fixed with some drilling and a big long bolt. However I'm trying to find another unit (5 speed manual if you know of any/if it's the same part in x or y) so I can mod it without disabling their car (when it's not doing that itself) then swap the whole unit in. Will buy a big pack of the end clips/bushes too as mine click on me, and the black qq's are quite sloppy. 

If/when we get that far and sort that and have spare end bushings at hand I'll maybe then look at the bodge clamp 😂 

  • Like 2
Posted

My mate drove us to the office today and after work I went back to theirs. Did a much better cable tie bodge on the broken clutch master and it's well attached to the pedal now (where the plastic cup has broken it sits further on its retaining bar, which has a step at the end which is holding a cable tie on a treat!) 

Should last well enough to be driven on and taken for the mot it needs as of today, then we'll fit the new part under a bit less pressure. 

Will go and out a cable tie or 2 around my intact part before it spreads and cracks I think now I've seen how it all attaches. 

Certainly making me look twice at the various £500 'needs a clutch m9" qashqaii that are on marketplace but I imagine it rarely is going to be the £15 cylinder over the clutch actually being fucked

Posted

My friend booked their mot for tomorrow. Which meant a job had to be done. 

20260806_191100.jpg.b362a92337e0d4603df0ec1979898af7.jpg

20260806_191822.jpg.3908c528e45f1856c5bc2bc2c44654c4.jpg

Its now wearing my rear wheels. Has to be wearing both as their a size bigger than the black one has. 

20260806_192253.jpg.dac502e06456d72ed5edddee9c1d6b7b.jpgThe rear tyres are quite shit, and would be a fail. So it's borrowing my excellent wheels (as it's not a fail to have a different size front to back as long as their the same on the axle) to avoid an easy fail. Once it gets through the test new tyres will be obtained. 

The fronts are on the edge though... Almost right on the wear marker but not many miles into it like the rears were. Probably be a balance of 2 new tyres on the front then 2 good part worn tyres on the rears. 

Then all needs to be swapped back before my mot on Monday 😂 

  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - Wheel Swapping
Posted
36 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

My friend booked their mot for tomorrow. Which meant a job had to be done. 

20260806_191100.jpg.b362a92337e0d4603df0ec1979898af7.jpg

20260806_191822.jpg.3908c528e45f1856c5bc2bc2c44654c4.jpg

Its now wearing my rear wheels. Has to be wearing both as their a size bigger than the black one has. 

20260806_192253.jpg.dac502e06456d72ed5edddee9c1d6b7b.jpgThe rear tyres are quite shit, and would be a fail. So it's borrowing my excellent wheels (as it's not a fail to have a different size front to back as long as their the same on the axle) to avoid an easy fail. Once it gets through the test new tyres will be obtained. 

The fronts are on the edge though... Almost right on the wear marker but not many miles into it like the rears were. Probably be a balance of 2 new tyres on the front then 2 good part worn tyres on the rears. 

Then all needs to be swapped back before my mot on Monday 😂 

This did make me laugh. I remember swapping the rear brake shoes from my mate’s Cortina to mine for an MOT over 30 years ago😂

  • Haha 4
Posted
7 minutes ago, Wibble said:

This did make me laugh. I remember swapping the rear brake shoes from my mate’s Cortina to mine for an MOT over 30 years ago😂

Its the first mot after buying it about a month ago so the stakes are high 😂 Doesn't seem sensible sorting the tyres out before checking it's not going to bomb on anything else (shouldn't do, at least nothing major 🤞🤞) 

Posted

Oh dear, it was a fail

Screenshot_20260807_132554_Chrome.png.99faae21394841ff1d81e6871437b7d7.png

Is that the front side lights that are out? Tbh we didn't do any light checks, that was silly. 

2x new lower arms ordered to sort fails 3,4 and 5

Garage quoted him £500 to sort it all 🤮 

  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - Mates car failed
Posted

£497 inc vat, 3 hours labour and tbh not awful parts prices, pretty much double what we spent on the ebay arms and probably the same parts. 

They could have had it sorted today too which was even more reasonable. 

But alas none of us have a spare £500 kicking around so £38 has been spent on ebay. He came round a while ago on the way back to swap the wheels back round and whilst we failed to figure out how to get at the front side lights (he had to be back to work before his manager noticed) I sent him away with 2 bulbs I think work for him to try. 

Then next week, change the lower arms after work one night 

  • Like 2
Posted

Whilst swapping the wheels back over yesterday I noticed a thing on my car! I'd developed a little tinny rattle 2 weeks ago that I was ignoring, and indeed it fixed itself several days later. 

What that was (hopefully) , was an exhaust hestshield fixing rotting through! This is excellent news as someone at the office had the same (but on most of them) a while ago on his Zafira B (yes the doom blue 1.6pez one which is still alive) and he told me to keep the rest of the pack he bought and we used 5 of

20260808_105742.jpg.89b21459789c861e5de628e7e134d2b8.jpg

Lovely! If I'm brave the 8mm nut might undo from the fragile as fuck looking fuel tank strap the bracket is part of and I could affect a better repair but not today

I then noticed that the small air dam thing that's under the car had snapped it's clip one side, and had bent over itself with the wind 

20260808_105746.jpg.4d2cc0fd7d45387af28bef17822d19a1.jpg

That got a new 9mm fir tree clip 👌 

The last thing I spotted was some surface rust on the inside corner of the sill. Was under that side checking no more exhaust clips were fucked and spotted this beginning

20260808_110112.jpg.6cc723f2829c5275813ee8d4adc46052.jpg

Had half a can of rust converter about so fixed that 

20260808_110138.jpg.33fcc7aa1bac2e6087f996eb90c43e36.jpg

And used the rest on the back of the rear subframe. 

That probably ends my mot prep 😂 Will top the screen wash up later and empty the boot and she's on her own! 

What I did do also when swapping the wheels was check up on the hammerite/waxoyl

20260807_141333.jpg.a6fdf03867770f2278e6dccf93ce4cbf.jpg

Its still very good. The outer coating is still ever so slightly soft, but still 100% there and I've had the pressure washer under there twice. Scratching a bit with my fingernail didn't go down to metal either. Went down to what I assume is the hammerite

20260807_141341.jpg.63abcf787fc7ca08165da7eeaec3c47f.jpg

Fuck knows if it's all still rotting underneath, it wasnt awful to begin with and I rust treated everything first

  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - MOT Prep
Posted

No pressure car, but we need to drive to shitefest Friday (then Spalding the weekend after_after next) so a pass would be fucking appreciated 🤞🤞 

20260810_081011.jpg.2cb724575a7726c3a0f3d45ebe886e5c.jpg

  • Congratulations 2
  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - MOT Day
  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - MOT Pass!
Posted
On 05/08/2026 at 09:46, beko1987 said:

Good to hear, cheers! I wonder how long my qq would stay alive with 380bhp 🤔 

Imagine f4r conversion and 480hp same as my kangoo, be fucking hilarious on the road with absolutely crippling mpg🤣

Posted
2 minutes ago, Brigsy said:

Imagine f4r conversion and 480hp same as my kangoo, be fucking hilarious on the road with absolutely crippling mpg🤣

It would! 😂  I've sometimes thought about those cheap low end remaps for the mid range boost and etc but there's no point really. Even as it is it's rarely the slowest thing in the vicinity 👌 Has been a solid 52.8mpg on the guess-ometer with the aircon on full max cold the past 2 months which is good with me. Average speed of 34mph since probably last april though 😭 

My 2.0hdi xsara was way faster than this is on full boost, but I haven't got the balls skills or wallet to keep a cheap fb 2.0dci going (which all get sold just about at the point all of the chain shit needs doing) , I bet their even more fun than the 1.5dci can be... 

 

Posted

Well done, chap. I reckon your preventative maintenance has a lot to answer for. Also, as with my old J10, the K9k lump seems to keep plodding on as long as you find a good one. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It would! 😂  I've sometimes thought about those cheap low end remaps for the mid range boost and etc but there's no point really. Even as it is it's rarely the slowest thing in the vicinity 👌 Has been a solid 52.8mpg on the guess-ometer with the aircon on full max cold the past 2 months which is good with me. Average speed of 34mph since probably last april though 😭 

My 2.0hdi xsara was way faster than this is on full boost, but I haven't got the balls skills or wallet to keep a cheap fb 2.0dci going (which all get sold just about at the point all of the chain shit needs doing) , I bet their even more fun than the 1.5dci can be... 

 

If you can get a cheap / half decent remap it might be worth a punt. My mate done me a trade price remap on my blue clio 1.5dci a few years ago. I wouldnt say it GLF but it goes a bit better, black smokey once rpm is up but ok normally and drives generally ok. Mpg up on the trip comp..70.7mpg this week mostly on cruise. No complaints.

 

The old 2.0hdi lumps took some beating. I had a 90hp xantia hdi and 307hdi, both were slow as fuck but bulletproof. The higher powered ones GLF..all about extinct sadly.

Posted
1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

20260810_092751.jpg.9c2369b89c456f9b9ae9f8b88f6e54bd.jpg

Clean pass! 

Well done! That’s a respectable mileage since the last test too. 

Planning to get another full year out of it, or fuck it off with some test left before the back bumper falls off? 

Posted
5 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

Well done! That’s a respectable mileage since the last test too. 

Planning to get another full year out of it, or fuck it off with some test left before the back bumper falls off? 

Thanks! 

I think another year. Should probably check the rear end to make sure it hasn't got any worse but it's not front of my mind yet! I'm lucky to not do many miles, which is probably what's saving it rather than trying to do 15k a year. I lift share with a mate to work so only actually drive it once a week for 50 miles on occasion...

Cheap discs pads and driveshafts at some time and in some order is all it wants I think, it'll soon be time for it to transform into winter beater mode and see nothing but neglect* anyway 😂 

Am putting money aside still. It's been harder to do recently with everything else going up but the plan is to just keep it going until it's uneconomical then see what I can afford to buy at the time/find a £500 qq that's fucked in several non critical but fiddly ways and make one good one and scrap gx09 🤷 

But not today! 

Posted
31 minutes ago, Brigsy said:

If you can get a cheap / half decent remap it might be worth a punt. My mate done me a trade price remap on my blue clio 1.5dci a few years ago. I wouldnt say it GLF but it goes a bit better, black smokey once rpm is up but ok normally and drives generally ok. Mpg up on the trip comp..70.7mpg this week mostly on cruise. No complaints.

 

The old 2.0hdi lumps took some beating. I had a 90hp xantia hdi and 307hdi, both were slow as fuck but bulletproof. The higher powered ones GLF..all about extinct sadly.

Yes that's the type of map I was thinking of. Just the daily driver one, I'd still not do launch starts and wheelspins as I don't want to have to replace the clutch 😂 (never done a clutch before)  but glf'ing mildly in 3rd 4th and 5th up to speed woul be nicer

My xsara was the 110bhp one and in a light car such as the xsara/zx mk3 is it was awesome! Felt like it had all the torque. I remember driving dad's Ioniq Mk2 when he had that and going for an overtake of a lorry on an A road. It felt so glacial I wished I was back in the xsara which would have boosted up and fucked off 👌 

The 1.5dci can do that if it's the right time right place but your mostly fighting the dmf to have it spinning up 5 seconds before you want the power to come on down to join the party. The whole dmf bit is the bit I hate most about the car when I notice it. Single mass flywheel felt far more agile and precise when batting arou d unclassified, B and A roads which is where I am 77% of the time. 

Even at 77/80 it's doing the same 3krpm in 6th as the xsara did in 5th with its ancient* 5 speed. Way less rowing up and down of the gears too

Posted

Bang on the money with the 1.5 dci. Get it in the right rpm range and go well enough. Out of that its all noise mainly🤣

Them 2.0hdi lumps were great diesels looking back. Better on diesel than the old mechanical 1.9td, gearing was good for motorway. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Brigsy said:

Bang on the money with the 1.5 dci. Get it in the right rpm range and go well enough. Out of that its all noise mainly🤣

Them 2.0hdi lumps were great diesels looking back. Better on diesel than the old mechanical 1.9td, gearing was good for motorway. 

Yup, mine has done a fine job hauling the last couple of weeks.

PXL_20260808_185912507.jpg.a9e16c3864c4a706c91f1b797506e59a.jpg

Dropped below 50mpg though, and only had to use AWD a couple of times (beaches and gravel tracks).  I would love to F4R it.  

@Jimbob McGregor has a 2.0 hdi with the 125bhp HDItuning ecu going if anyone is in need of one.

 

Well done on the pass Beko.

Posted

What a fucking lovely evening for front arm replacements

The car has had 1 new passenger side shock in its past

20260811_162314.jpg.80f980c94850f195a99a2dca49e661ed.jpg

Didnt take long, everything cracked off really easily. Almost too easily... 

20260811_164821.jpg.005806c90042a9d4200b2b93d08faffd.jpg

No fight from anything

20260811_164941.jpg.2b9b14c8285fd928f49d7365ef168377.jpg

This little Aldi wrench made a great nut runner

20260811_165143.jpg.e84b9e7e011fc9e6b747be0d52446e6c.jpg

All the bolts put up no fight

20260811_165146.jpg.f27afe8a72e8c8c978a1cb710c9d668f.jpg

Certainly doesn't look great (both these failed) 

20260811_165407.jpg.1b3be9563789f320543a692610b37c0c.jpg

But soon! Even the bottom ball joint came out of the hub really easily, and near slid back in by itself. I manouvered the hub and strut more than I did on mine to line the back bolts up and it worked so much better

20260811_170932.jpg.0e6fe905f2e587ceb9741af77ab38377.jpg

Soon had both sides done! No idea if this is a date code

20260811_170944.jpg.eb278997a27f5e27aa8fcf6ce75881f6.jpg

I can't find anything wrong with the numberplate. Then my friend said that the guy tried to sell him metal 3d plates for £50 🙄 

20260811_171242.jpg.b30b11b6dad61df406bfa8251c22d50a.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Posted

The passenger side was a bit worse 

20260811_172203.jpg.9985c3e529eb8f0bf94deb4b88a8d015.jpg

And neither lower ball joint great so no harm done changing these. 

Got a better look at the gear cable bodge bracket @Brigsy. Sure is loose in itself although securely attached. Guess I won't know if it just needs the new bushes and clips or not without taking it all apart 😬 

20260811_172708.jpg.ee7abf363b869bddabcf8d2c04eb110d.jpg

Passenger side was soon done

20260811_172714.jpg.3efbf6a3b2a8020fe272635f23ecf0d9.jpg

Whilst I did that my mate had a look at the side lights. Both were dead. Without checking, he grabbed one from his touran. Also dead 😂🙄 We robbed both my front side lights and one rear plate bulb and ticked 2 fails and 1 advisory off the list. I have spare 12v 5w capless bulbs here and really should have bloody taken them but hey ho. 

Job done, it can go for a re-test now and hopefully be a decent car for them to beat the shit out of with 3 kids and a dog for the next couple of years 🤞 

Do still need to do the clutch master but that's for after the mot

20260811_174954.jpg

  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - Mates Qashqai Repaired 👌
Posted

Mates QQ just passed it's re-test 

image.png.db0b85a1fd9dd6d76c2a1c0e8c75c9ef.png

Tyres are next on the expense list for them and we need to fit the clutch master cylinder soon but after that hopefully it will be fairly trouble free for many months 🤞🤞

Car was £900, maybe £80 in parts so far so £980 total 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Been up to my dad's since Sunday and had a lovely time. Qashqai performed admirably bar... 

We were leaving Tesco Hampton Sunday afternoon. Fired the car up and heard a mega loud NEW noise. Shot out and had the bonnet up and something was not happy from the aux belt area (sounded too loud to be behind the cam cover). It quickly faded away so I dropped the bonnet and proceeded with caution... 

Hasn't done it again and I've probably had it started 20+ times since 🤷 Will file under ignore until I hear it again. 

The fen roads are a bastard. We went to a safari park in King's Lynn and the roads from Holbeach to the a17 (especially the route dad goes) is horrendous! Genuinely feared for my very rusty exhaust hangers several times, and the shocks 😂 

Probably got caught by a van on the a1 too this afternoon annoyingly. Was certainly below 77 but he had a bloody long range view 😢 So begins 14 days of seeing if I need to donate an afternoon and £100 to cambs constabulary. Forgot it was Wednesday in the week, Im always doing that early or late on a weekend when their not out. Equally as I noticed at least half a mile away and reacted accordingly the range rover in l4 next to me didn't 😂 I saw his nose hit the tarmac about 30 seconds after I'd gone below 73 and dipped into l2 very close behind another car but he had shot past me shortly before and would have been clocked way higher than I was

  • Like 1
Posted

Had the noise again this morning whilst waiting for my mate who car shares with us... 

I did what every qashqai owner would do and ignored it, although putting even the slightest micro of throttle on stopped it so I just sat waiting at 1010rpm 😂 

Was silent the rest of the day but when I got home I popped the bonnet and spent a good 5 minutes studying everything and there's nothing obvious. Which is annoying as I'll probably need to take the aux belt off and spin things by hand (watch it be the bastard air con compressor now it's all working lovely 😡😂) 

Certainly sounds like it comes from the outside of the engine so I'm not too worried about the cambelt exploding off, but ive got things to do pretty much every day for the next week inc Spalding and back again so it needs to behave for now/become really obvious in a non destructive way so I can quickly replace whatever it is) 

  • beko1987 changed the title to 2009 CashCow - Sporadic Pulley sounding noise 🙄

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...