Emergency quickfire tat purchase

scruff

I love the shape of these - just think they're a handsome motor. 

I think a resident of this beige has/had a t5 version and I have had a search configured ever since...... 

Powered by the ubiquitous 1.6HDi, for extra  low cost/high liability points !

To be fair, if it's survived so far it's probably been looked after. Belts are fiddly but perfectly DIYable. Give it an oil change while you're at it, 6-9k mile intervals and 5W30 low saps oil are essential for those.

Christ, you can pick these up sub £1k these days?! Such a cool car, and they've aged brilliantly - far better than most late-2000s street furniture. 

Top marks. 

• Like 3

Like these a lot, one is firmly on the radar for when I get rid of the Alfa. The fact that they're out there for less than a grand is good news for me!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Powered by the ubiquitous 1.6HDi, for extra  low cost/high liability points !

To be fair, if it's survived so far it's probably been looked after. Belts are fiddly but perfectly DIYable. Give it an oil change while you're at it, 6-9k mile intervals and 5W30 low saps oil are essential for those.

Excellent Intel SF. I know absolutely nothing about them. 5w30 is like water isnt it?!!

I was following a red one of these this morning and thinking I'd like one.  However a lad at work has one and everyone else calls it the big toe 🤐

Just now, scruff said:

Excellent Intel SF. I know absolutely nothing about them. 5w30 is like water isnt it?!!

They're "peak diesel", sadly, meaning too complicated for their own good. On the plus side, they are really common, so parts and know-how are thankfully plentiful.

5W30 does seem like the kind of stuff you pour into an F1 engine rather than a family turbodiesel, doesn't it ? How times change !

Was reading the opening post whilst parked.Looked up and an almost identical one with a personal reg had pulled up opposite and a lady was unloading the boot.Youngest son had a facelifted 1.6 diesel with zero tax,which had engine issues.Managed to get refund from the seller.Still fancies one and so do I,but probably a pre facelift petrol.Neices husband inherited a 62 reg automatic with a bigger diesel,which he's had for some time.Looks a good buy.

That's bloody cheap, well bought. These are pretty desirable and hold their money

Not only have you ticked all the boxes, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll see all the money back and then some when the time comes to get rid, as long as it doesn't spectacularly shit itself. 

Since it shares the same platform as the MK2 Focus, most parts are cheap as chips and readily available. And as said, the ubiquitous 1.6 HDI lump is a good egg if looked after, also relatively cheap to look after. One of the easiest modern cambelts to do

• 5 weeks later...

Hi gang. I’ve done 3000 miles in this now and I love it we will see how the MOT goes in the summer but I’d like to keep it I reckon . There’s been a few things of note. It can get a bit fumey in traffic so maybe the exhaust is blowing somewhere, and occasionally a message saying “engine power reduced” or similar but no EML on. I went and got an OBD reader from euro car parts and it came up as glow plugs, that looks a shite job to do but we shall see. Anyone here done it?

I got the graunch of doom last week so yesterday chucked some new pads in it. Been to the Nene Valley Railway today and the bit of sunshine was enough to try the air con properly, works a treat.

20240224_095559.jpeg

Glow plug codes are "one of those things" in the 1.6hdi - check resistance at the relay connector to make sure they aren't really borked,  but any further investigation is likely to be a waste of time.

Intermittent running issues that don't result in a code (or result in a red herring code) are another "of those things". A proper diagnosis can take hours of being driven around by a willing assistant looking at live data. The bodger's approach is to start by attacking the commonest and easiest to resolve issue, which would be a sticky EGR.

7 hours ago, scruff said:

It can get a bit fumey in traffic so maybe the exhaust is blowing somewhere,

Pull the top cover off of the engine when it's warm and listen for a chuffing sound, pound to a pinch of shit, it's got a blowing injector.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1