O/t sorry but anyone got an up to date CAP book at all?

Cavcraft

Soz and all that but any of you wonderful people got an up to date CAP book please?Could do with a price for a car, will pm details if anyone has access to it.Cheers in advance.

Can I just ask something that has been munching slowly on my moobs for years - Why the fucking secrecy with CAP or GLASSES?I take my car for trade in once, I have a brand new Parkers or other such and the car is in much better condition with lower milage than it should be according to parkers, so I think "well its not unreasonable to expect the 'trade in price, or very close' for the car".But ooooh no, the scorn poured on me by the dealer when he offered me more than a shit load less, because Parkers want accurate and he was going by the black book guide.... Twat. I walked anyway because of the way he was dealing with me and bought from another dealer instead.

Can I just ask something that has been munching slowly on my moobs for years - Why the fucking secrecy with CAP or GLASSES?I take my car for trade in once, I have a brand new Parkers or other such and the car is in much better condition with lower milage than it should be according to parkers, so I think "well its not unreasonable to expect the 'trade in price, or very close' for the car".But ooooh no, the scorn poured on me by the dealer when he offered me more than a shit load less, because Parkers want accurate and he was going by the black book guide.... Twat. I walked anyway because of the way he was dealing with me and bought from another dealer instead.

Can work the other way. Remember when I worked in a garage we learnt to be wary of punters strolling around clutching a Parkers guide, they either wanted far too much for their car or reckoned our cars were overpriced. That's no reason to be rude of course.

Parkers is fucking hopeless, appears to be based on what people want for their cars as opposed to what they actually fetch when they sell.CAP is slightly closer to reality, but Glass's is still the best.The secrecy is because pretty much the whole motor retail trade uses Glass's or CAP and they tend to do deals based entirely on what a car 'books' at. They're the industry standard. Traders will do deals with other traders on unseen cars based entirely on Glass's valuation and a good description. If Joe Public had access to the book it would completely screw the whole business for everyone as there would be fuck all money in it. Parkers is there to make the public think they're getting a decent deal, but unfortunately it means that every showroom in the land ends up having to deal with whining wankers who think that "In this book, my car is worth £xxx and your car is worth £xxx, so that means I have to give you £xxx to change car" when they're grands away from reality (and the asking price / trade in values of the cars involved).I had it umpteen times when I worked for Nissan. Chuck a car on the forecourt for below Glass's retail and we'd be swamped by anoraks clutching Parkers Guide wanting more than retail as a trade in on some shabby old Bluebird whilst nasally whining "The mileage corrected value of my car is £2500" when in reality they'd be lucky to get £1000 flogging it privately.I'm sure the other trade people in here will agree that it's a wasted day when someone comes into the showroom waving a copy of Parkers Price Guide.Yet another reason why I no longer deal cars to the public.

Agreed Pete. Parker's is not worth the paper it's written on, it's just fantasy league bolllocks.When I worked at DMA we used to laugh when we saw two bobbers coming in clutching Parker's and the traders there saw the pound note signs flashing before them as soon as they spotted some mug with Parker's.I have heard from some 'in the know' that CAP and Glasses have gone out of the window on a few occasions as auction prices vary wildy, but CAP used to be pretty accurate and is a good gauge of whether something's worth a spin round the block. I think a trip to Queensferry or possibly Whitchurch is on the cards for this particular car, just need to see what I'm likelyto score for it.R.Welfare: Cheers, I'll have a shufty at Vauxhall's website when I get to work.

Parkers is there to make the public think they're getting a decent deal, but unfortunately it means that every showroom in the land ends up having to deal with whining wankers who think that "In this book, my car is worth £xxx and your car is worth £xxx, so that means I have to give you £xxx to change car" when they're grands away from reality (and the asking price / trade in values of the cars involved).

But Pete, surely the argument there is to release something more akin to CAP or Glass to the public so that they at least approach things more rationally. I know a dealer has costs to meet and food to put on the table, I accept that buying off a dealer is more costly than buying selling privately. But I gauge what Im likely to be offered trade in from the only source I have (Parkers et al) so why do dealers get upset when joe public says "ah right, but this book says it should be worth this much?"It really is no wonder that the second hand car trade has this general stigma of people wanting to rip off unsuspecting members of the public (yes I know it isnt all like that).Anyway on a separate grump which I shall take to another thread my fucking vauxhall has broken down again.

parkers is written by the same people who do the sun or the star.glass and cap is made up of prices the cars actually do fetch at auction so that is the true value.if i see a customer with parkers i do deal with them,they show me how much they think there car is worth in it,then i show them how much parkers are saying my car is worth,its always more expensive than we are selling it at.so parkers = crapcap/glasses = realistic.

Cavette, BCA's website gives CAP guide prices and sometimes Glass's aswell.Think you need to be registered though.(I am by the way).Auction prices are sometimes way over "book" at the moment.Case in point,I was at BCA Peterborough this morning and a 2000 on a V Toyota MR2 glass roof T.bar with 94k was guided at 2200 clean and 2995 retail.It sold for 2950 plus indemnity.

Cavette, BCA's website gives CAP guide prices and sometimes Glass's aswell.Think you need to be registered though.(I am by the way).Auction prices are sometimes way over "book" at the moment.Case in point,I was at BCA Peterborough this morning and a 2000 on a V Toyota MR2 glass roof T.bar with 94k was guided at 2200 clean and 2995 retail.It sold for 2950 plus indemnity.

Cheers, I'd be bloody made up to see even three hundred quid short of CAP on this sodding car so anything over that will be a right bonus.

If anyone needs a Glass's Guide or CAP value on anything let me know.All I need is reg number and mileage. Also if anyone wants a free HPI check if you're thinking of buying anything, I'm your man!!Yes, Parkers is meaningless crap. Not worth the paper. They just think of a number and double it. Thats why it costs £2.95 or whatever and Glasses is about £200!!!

If anyone needs a Glass's Guide or CAP value on anything let me know.All I need is reg number and mileage. Also if anyone wants a free HPI check if you're thinking of buying anything, I'm your man!!Yes, Parkers is meaningless crap. Not worth the paper. They just think of a number and double it. Thats why it costs £2.95 or whatever and Glasses is about £200!!!

That is a very kind offer though i bet you have just opened yourself up for everyone taking the piss, The HPi check is very handy also.

07/07 Zafira Life 1.9 cdi 23,400 miles Glass's Trade £7957Retail £9857CAP clean with 30,000 miles £7750CAP retail £9250Previous reg MJ07RZZ2 previous owners.No finance outstanding!! :lol:

Cheers for that!Better than I thought - I really thought about £6000 - £6500.Still a heap of shite though. Actually thats not fair - the car is very nice but the DPF / anti pollution is a barrel of donkey dung.

That Network Q thing is handy, puts 'Er Indoors 04 Focus (monster miles) at £2320, meaning that we have lost £75 in depreciation since last may. Not a bad result.

Our car is £40 more than what we paid for it in July :P

believe it or not we retail zafira's like that at 7988 , and remember that motor trade always uses below average condition to value them.

Which (going on the price of stuff for sale) is why I thought about £6500 on a good day....This is the place I got mine from and I wondered if I made a cheekey offer of mine and say 1500 they might swap it...Not another bloody Zaff

Parkers is there to make the public think they're getting a decent deal, but unfortunately it means that every showroom in the land ends up having to deal with whining wankers who think that "In this book, my car is worth £xxx and your car is worth £xxx, so that means I have to give you £xxx to change car" when they're grands away from reality (and the asking price / trade in values of the cars involved).

But Pete, surely the argument there is to release something more akin to CAP or Glass to the public so that they at least approach things more rationally. I know a dealer has costs to meet and food to put on the table, I accept that buying off a dealer is more costly than buying selling privately. But I gauge what Im likely to be offered trade in from the only source I have (Parkers et al) so why do dealers get upset when joe public says "ah right, but this book says it should be worth this much?"It really is no wonder that the second hand car trade has this general stigma of people wanting to rip off unsuspecting members of the public (yes I know it isnt all like that).
I agree that there should be something out there for the public to use to value their cars, I'm not against it at all. Problem for the trade is that the public, as you say, view the trade as a bunch of shifty shysters no matter what the trade does. It's one of those things that is just the way it is - probably deservedly 10-20 years ago. This means that the public always haggle harder with motor traders than with anyone else. Someone person buying a kitchen wouldn't look at the list price of £5k and offer £3000 and a knackered old sink for it, but that's what a motor trader has to deal with all the time. The public is apparantly under the illusion that anyone who sells cars for a living makes a couple of grand on every car they touch. It's insanity. Stuff around 3-4k might have £500 profit in it, but the poor sods working with low end stuff quite often only end up a couple of hundred quid better off after a month of pissing about valeting, MOTing, servicing and generally fettling cars before sale - yet the public instantly want to haggle three times that out of the price "because that's what they're fetching on ebay", and they want to be able to return the car two months down the line after they've ragged the living shit out of it for a month with no oil in...As I say, I avoid selling cars to the public whenever possible. I'd rather leave that to the poor sods in showrooms...