JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG]

JJ0063

I think I'm going to replace the XF with a 2dr, a C70, 6 series convertible, or similar full size 4 seat convertible.

So if you find a solution I'd be interested to know 👍

We have a 6 year old child in a massive car seat as well as a huge dog to contend with!

If you think your situation is awkward with Rodney, I once saw somebody in a MK 6 Fiesta driving around with a Leonberger in the back.  I surmise that the reason they didn't have a more suitable car was because of the expense of owning a Leonberger...

• Haha 2

Back in the early 90s, a college mate used to drive around with his family's great dane in the back of his Mk1 Fiesta. The large back window just made it even more comical how massive his dog was in the back of a relatively small car. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bren said:

Go for a 335/535d touring? £6.5k will not get much audi estate.

It’s a possibility but I do fancy something non BMW and the one thing that lets the E9X and E6X down is the interiors feel dated compared to the equivalents from other manufacturers.

This A6 for example popped up near me on FB for £6650, again in my mind I see that shape and it’s a brand new car for £6500, I don’t know much about them in terms of specs and whatnot but engine wise its gonna have the same 2.0 CR as I’ve owned before. 

IMG_9122.jpeg

IMG_9123.png

2.0TDI in something that big is going to feel slow. The 140CR in our similar aged A4 Avant didn't feel particularly quick at all. You could overtake in it but you had to plan the move ahead rather than just flooring it. 

I'd expect you'd prefer the V6 engined versions more. I think many of them come in quattro flavours too. 

5 hours ago, SiC said:

2.0TDI in something that big is going to feel slow. The 140CR in our similar aged A4 Avant didn't feel particularly quick at all. You could overtake in it but you had to plan the move ahead rather than just flooring it. 

I'd expect you'd prefer the V6 engined versions more. I think many of them come in quattro flavours too. 

Yeah you’re right but a lot seem to be the 170 which I assume maps to probably 210?

Mrs JJ is a fan of the Volvo XC60, not sure I can go quite that grandad spec but I think Volvo is something I’d like to look further into, I did test drive a D5 S40 years ago and was impressed with the engine.

The D5 is a pretty agricultural engine. Whether that's a good or bad thing is your choice :)

You'd probably want to see one to form your opinion but I would swerve modern Volvo's personally

DMF failure isn't uncommon, pretty typical. Also had one where the DPF section of exhaust had fractured and I think it was £1700 dealer only? And a recent one needing a steering rack which seems to be common and nobody kept them other than Volvo, that was £1000. Or something like £350 for recon but there are no exchange units available so you'd need to send the existing one away. 

TLDR: a big headache

BUT horses for courses as these sort of running expenses could be applied to many marques. Just differently

Anyone had much experience of an Audi Q5? Wondering what the MPG is like on tut 2.0 and 3.0 diesels. Google seems to show huge variations and I don’t want another X5 saga.

Something 2010-2012 era.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:43 PM, JJ0063 said:

Anyone had much experience of an Audi Q5? Wondering what the MPG is like on tut 2.0 and 3.0 diesels. Google seems to show huge variations and I don’t want another X5 saga.

Something 2010-2012 era.

Keep looking at these now. 

IMG_9210.jpeg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305157397679

Something like that ticks all the boxes as long as economy is alright. 2.0 TDI 170, is Quattro though so not sure how much that ruins MPG. Need to do some more research on true figures.

Something 2010-2012 era.

hiding-meme.gif

Something something low cost... something something high liability 😳

• Haha 3

Fuelly is quite good for browsing real mpg figures.

2010 Q5 diesel, only 2 of them tracked but over quite a lot of miles. 

Screenshot_2023-05-18-10-15-48-170_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a1f3b90c4e2d6840b46305c572e174e8.jpg

Looks like 30ish, over 30 on longer trips and probably sub 30mpg on low speed local stuff.

It's a massive, heavy slab of plastic and metal. Don't expect good fuel economy unless cruising along at a constant speed then you might get something acceptable!

In the 205k miles that myself and my parents previously did in the 2010 A4 estate with the 140CR (CAGA), it averaged between 38-45mpg. Rarely any higher. Don't know why it was so low on that unit but later engines seem to get 50+ mpg in the same chassis. I wonder if there was any big variation in manufacturing tolerances that caused it too? Worth checking the MPG reading stored on any that you look at.

Given the miles it had done, I wasn't going to fiddle with it to try improving it on mine. Probably why it ended up doing as many miles as it did 😂

Something 2010-2012 era.

Like some German diesels of that era (BMW and Audi especially) with the Bosch CP4 pump, they are prone to doing this and letting go suddenly from anything from 60k+:

PXL_20211223_110107765.thumb.jpg.b0ead5ee254a1f66bb02ca09b63cea52.jpg

PXL_20211223_110059401.thumb.jpg.42bafef09e002872fdeb6fd4b369a931.jpg

PXL_20211223_110609913.thumb.jpg.5e6ac8ce40a011681aa50c007729c102.jpg

PXL_20211223_110453892.thumb.jpg.ef5aeae89fadb853ac85e4f7b379544c.jpg

You've been warned!

1 hour ago, SiC said:

It's a massive, heavy slab of plastic and metal. Don't expect good fuel economy unless cruising along at a constant speed then you might get something acceptable!

In the 205k miles that myself and my parents previously did in the 2010 A4 estate with the 140CR (CAGA), it averaged between 38-45mpg. Rarely any higher. Don't know why it was so low on that unit but later engines seem to get 50+ mpg in the same chassis. I wonder if there was any big variation in manufacturing tolerances that caused it too? Worth checking the MPG reading stored on any that you look at.

Given the miles it had done, I wasn't going to fiddle with it to try improving it on mine. Probably why it ended up doing as many miles as it did 😂

Like some German diesels of that era (BMW and Audi especially) with the Bosch CP4 pump, they are prone to doing this and letting go suddenly from anything from 60k+:

PXL_20211223_110107765.thumb.jpg.b0ead5ee254a1f66bb02ca09b63cea52.jpg

PXL_20211223_110059401.thumb.jpg.42bafef09e002872fdeb6fd4b369a931.jpg

PXL_20211223_110609913.thumb.jpg.5e6ac8ce40a011681aa50c007729c102.jpg

PXL_20211223_110453892.thumb.jpg.ef5aeae89fadb853ac85e4f7b379544c.jpg

You've been warned!

Yeah that’s kind of why I asked as I wasn’t sure how bad the extra weight and Quattro system would affect the economy. I’ve of course had the 2.0 CR in my old Golf for years and more recently the Scirocco but they’re obviously small, aerodynamic cars and would average 60mpg MPG which I always found staggering.

If I could run a Q5 and average 35mpg or something similar to the 335D then I’d be happy. I appreciate its a heavy old thing and I know the Q7’s are awful, X5 territory on MPG but the Q5 is basically an A4 saloon with a different body on it so was optimistic.

Ive seen you post about the fuel pumps before and try and squint my way past it as I don’t want to put myself of what I’ve always thought was a pretty decent engine 😂

Another concern would be the twin clutch auto box I believe these use. I know some of this era Audis had terribly unreliable gearboxes but I haven’t got as far as checking which it was / which these use. I’m not fussed on auto or manual but I do prefer a lazy slush box these days.

Iirc all longitudinal DSG boxes are wet clutch. It's the dry clutch DSG boxes that had the most issues.

These guys near me have a good reputation for sorting VAG DSG boxes:
https://milta.co/
Prices on the website and gives an idea worse case costs.

I have no idea why but the earlier longitudinal 2.0CR got far shitter fuel consumption than the transverse. Maybe the Audi engines had more done to them for refinement at the detriment to fuel consumption than the others in the VAG stable? I know the Passat/Octavia/etc got far better fuel consumption than I did in the A4. Our was also S-line with ludicrously large discs+calipers (same as the S4) and 18inch wheels. Perhaps this didn't help it either.

Aerodynamics are shit on SUVs compares to estates and saloons which doesn't help fuel consumption. Along with their often paltry small boots for their size and topsee turvy handling, it's why I can never understand the craze for them over saloons and estates.

5 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

That bad? I wouldn't have suspected they were awful!

I'm being slightly over zealous. 

You've got the choice of the fuel injection system shitting itself on the 2.0 TDI or the timing chain on the 3.0TDI. 

Take your pick :)

They have lots of electronics so bear in mind you will be paying £200-400 for sensors when they shit themselves. 

Suspension and brake work isn't cheap either

The pros of the 2.0 TDI is that it's a lot simpler and more common than the 3.0, it's belt driven and if the engine shits itself badly it's probably cheaper to fix. 

The 3.0TDI is different gravy. But it's a lot more complex, there's a lot more to go wrong, the timing chain is at the gearbox end and it's a gearbox out job. 

Honestly I think the 2.0 won't be enough in a Q5. The 2.0 has punch but it doesn't feel fast in something like an A4, so the Q5 is basically equivalent to adding a boat anchor. 

The 3.0 TDI isn't quick either, but it has a lot more torque and it's far more refined. It's sounds and pulls similarly to a range rover. It doesn't pull quickly but it "pulls like a train" so the proverbial goes!

Fuel economy I have no first hand experience but the 2.0 TDI will be working hard so it's not going to be great. The 3.0 TDI has an easier time but it's got an extra litre CC! 

DVLA must love you £80 a pop for reg transfers.........took my Bini plate off, and gotta throw it back on when repaired ..so kicking myself LOL

How about a Merc ML early spec with the sprinter engine??? Big dog friendly and fairly good on the old dino juice

Cheers guys, fair bit for me to think about and a few months to decide before he’s too big for the BM!

I may end up keeping this and just using Ambers Fiesta if we take the dogs out. Not sure.

Also, when you’re considering selling up, what do you do? Spend £500 on a set of wheels for the current car? I do. 

2-3 of my current ones keep losing pressure so man maths is fully justified. 

IMG_9215.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I usually take it to a tyre place and ask for them to put bead sealer on if I have a leaky rim. 

I would too if I had an ounce of normality about me 

• Haha 3

I think they'll look ace. I love the look of 5 spoke alloys on BMWs. 

Colour looks like somewhere between champagne and gunmetal? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think they'll look ace. I love the look of 5 spoke alloys on BMWs. 

Colour looks like somewhere between champagne and gunmetal? 

Yeah they’re powder coated in what the seller describes as a bronzey colour, I think it’s fairly subtle and should compliment the blue. I’d seen this colour which swung it for me…

Ive not seen many of this style on the coupe but I’m willing to give it a shot!

Seller is a bit strange so not convinced until I’ve collected them (from Guildford..) as we’ve agreed a price and a day to collect yet he’s updated the advert with more pics and not marked them as pending or anything.

IMG_8392.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m starting to think this chap is a timewaster, I’ve offered to collect when suits him and I’ve not knocked him down on his asking price at all yet he keeps fobbing me off saying he’ll let me know if I can collect, and won’t take them off sale or anything.