Will the current climate affect your next purchase?

Bren

22 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

No. I refuse to buy a modern blob and intend to keep my Rover 600 going as long as possible.

However, it costs £70 to fill up currently, and with more and more people going to electric cars, the price is only going one way which is incredibly frustrating.

I can see classic cars in the future being a hobby for the rich man only, as most of us peasants with ordinary classic family cars won’t be able to afford to run them anymore.

Which pisses me off greatly.

That'll be when I change. When even chod from these brown pages are ev's or hybrids with half a working battery but 55 miles of range m8 will be the day I'll have to buy into it. 

Will that day ever come though? Or will we be buying 2029 astra 1.2 petrols which are hanging and fucked because their the last combustioned engine thing about in 30 years? 

I've applied for a job in Derby, an eight mile drive from home.

Bugger driving into the middle of a city every day, and I am not sure it's a good time to do the bike licence. I'm getting an eBike. I can ride there in not much longer than it takes to drive there, possibly less in rush hour. And I will lose a bit of timber.

The money I won't spend on a boring car for work will go on something interesting so I can drive what I like. And I can get rid of my awful Corsa. What a disappointing car that's been.

A car for commuting to a single place of work is becoming a less attractive prospect every time the fuel price goes up. I can be a rich man with a couple of hobby cars.

14 minutes ago, bogeyhead said:

I have a driveway and garage, but it is situated opposite my house and doesn't have electricity. To get an electricity supply connected plus a charger unit would cost about £5,000. The cost of electric cars are still expensive, so the whole exercise would be very costly and not really worth it for me..

The other side of my rear fence is a private road to 3 houses with a stupidly massive laurel hedge between my fence and said track.  At some point in going to offer the house that owns the road some money for an 8ft by 15 foot bit of land that the hedge and tree sits on. 

Whether they are prepared to discuss a sensible price. What value my house with somewhere to charge a car vs on street parking ? Screenshot_20211110-181010_Maps.thumb.jpg.c9a4a20bd09f2311356daa286d0478e5.jpg

20210920_185619.thumb.jpg.1ac0d97b56436737b91b79e568e24d2e.jpg

Screenshot_20211103-184928_Maps.thumb.jpg.62af9449b6102e0dd4887016d9f654d8.jpg

1 hour ago, chris667 said:

I've applied for a job in Derby, an eight mile drive from home.

Bugger driving into the middle of a city every day, and I am not sure it's a good time to do the bike licence. I'm getting an eBike. I can ride there in not much longer than it takes to drive there, possibly less in rush hour. And I will lose a bit of timber.

The money I won't spend on a boring car for work will go on something interesting so I can drive what I like. And I can get rid of my awful Corsa. What a disappointing car that's been.

A car for commuting to a single place of work is becoming a less attractive prospect every time the fuel price goes up. I can be a rich man with a couple of hobby cars.

Get and ride an electric bike for that commute, just the right distance

1 hour ago, New POD said:

The other side of my rear fence is a private road to 3 houses with a stupidly massive laurel hedge between my fence and said track.  At some point in going to offer the house that owns the road some money for an 8ft by 15 foot bit of land that the hedge and tree sits on. 

Whether they are prepared to discuss a sensible price. What value my house with somewhere to charge a car vs on street parking ? Screenshot_20211110-181010_Maps.thumb.jpg.c9a4a20bd09f2311356daa286d0478e5.jpg

20210920_185619.thumb.jpg.1ac0d97b56436737b91b79e568e24d2e.jpg

Screenshot_20211103-184928_Maps.thumb.jpg.62af9449b6102e0dd4887016d9f654d8.jpg

If you can buy the piece of land and it has direct access from your house, you probably only need to run an armoured cable from your house to a charger. I expect the cable would have to be heavy duty stuff. You may even be able to just run an extension cable from the back of your house when the EV needs a charge, but I expect that would be pretty cumbersome.

I have no idea what value that would add to your house, but it would certainly make it more desirable as a purchase.

No.

I'm pretty sure me, even if i went totally mental and tried to pollute as much as i can (within reasonable day to day life) would still produce less than 10% of some celeb or royal that owns a Prius or Tesla and flies across the globe 25 times a year to tell everyone they love the planet and need to change their way of life.

I guarantee i have less of a negative impact on the planet now environmentally than Greta Thunberg with her travelling.

I do my bit, I otherwise don't use much energy, i recycle where possible, I don't go on unnecessary drives much at all, i don't even buy much online so i don't have much of a footprint of deliver drivers bringing me stuff.

So If i want to go and drive a big tank of a 4x4 next time. i will.

I'll still be producing way less emissions than a do gooder that has Amazon and Just eat at their door every day.

Like others , with working from home it’s getting hard to justify having two cars ( Subaru WRX and Mini Countryman Diesel),that hardly ever get used. That said , by definition that makes them pretty green.

I’ve had a hybrid ( Outlander PHEV) and hired a Toyota Auris, and not been impressed. Just lugging flat batteries too often.

If wife insists on a new Mini, I won’t object if it has JCW on the boot lid.