E10 Fuel

Motown

2 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Are we worrying too much?  They’ve had this in France and Germany for years and years.  Are the older car owners over there reporting endless troubles or are they mainly getting on ok?

Dunno, can't understand a word they say.

Although, apparently, the Hungarians are suffering an influx of eels into their hovercrafts.

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

MPG dropped from 44 MPG to 34 MPG - and I cant say this is down to the weather as this time last year I was getting 39 to 41 MPG.

Power - seems a little down on power, though this might be my imagination.

I think Im going to switch back to E5.

Drove E5 for a month in the Jimny and E10 for a month. 

30-32mpg for both. So I'm back on the el cheapo 95 E10. 

Suppose it differs in the car. A 1.3 car with 87bhp isn't going to be set up to run on 97-99 octane realistically. 

59 minutes ago, Bren said:

My brother has a two wheeled BMW 12 plate IIRC.

The new petrol has deformed the tank to the extent it will need to be replaced.

the smol bike i have has had e10 put in it

been started a handful of time since then

wont start at all now

could be that ive been told

fucks sake

My Volvo C30 T5 still only gets Tesco Momentum99/V-Power etc so no change there. The Moodus has been running on E10 since it started and originally fuel consuption suffered as when full the Range prediction always used to be about 450 miles, with E10 it went down to about 390 miles. However it has gradually been climbing and is now at about 442n miles. No idea why this is as the car is being used for the same journeys although I've been driving more as Mrs Concern doesn't like driving in the dark and I drive quicker and overtake more.

Have ran the Nexia on both E5 and E10. 

Ran like shite on both. 

Wanged in a set of spark plugs. 

Ran much better on either fuel. I honestly can't tell between the two. So would highly recommend keeping the ignition system as tip top as you can. 

The 306 I have, I just run on super unleaded anyway as that's what's recommended by Peugeot to use on that engine. 

On 12/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, Bren said:

My brother has a two wheeled BMW 12 plate IIRC.

The new petrol has deformed the tank to the extent it will need to be replaced.

This has been happening for years , even on E5 fuel .

Tanks made by Acerbis fitted to Triumphs , Ducati Multistradas and Ktm adventure are all warping , bubbling and growing . The Ktm and multistrada ones can be so bad you have to use ratchet straps to squash the tank to get the bolts back in .

Started happening in the early 2000’s I think .

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

I’ve noticed no drop in fuel consumption in any car I’ve used e10 in . 
I think a lot of the drops people are reporting are simply due to the colder winter temps . 

I hadn't seen any deterioration either but when I filled up a couple of days ago (E10) and then did the sums I found the car had only done 222 miles red light to red light and 23 mpg!

It is always a bit rubbish but about half what we usually get.  I don't have the car until tomorrow to check but may of course have made a silly mistake writing the mileage down.  I usually tale a photo of the instruments but the phone wasn't having it, damned thing just does as it pleases.

Being as E10 is the norm here, I'll chime in with my experiences:

E10 is highly unstable compared to plain gasoline. The ethanol isn't really the issue, it's all the other stabilizers that are highly volatile and attack natural rubber and non-viton parts.

Older rubber fuel system parts are definitely susceptible. The fuel pipe on my Renault had turned to the consistency of window putty when I bought the car. Fitting a length of fuel hose lasted 6 months immersed in the tank before it split wide open, the rubber having turned to a slick jelly like consistency. Similar result with the sealing o-ring in the injector, which caused it to leak. It also cleaned up every last bit of dirt out of the system and dropped it into the injector, clogging it. Once cleaned out and all the affected parts replaced with suitable rubber it was wholly reliable.

Carbureted vehicles are less fun. E10 boils at the same temperature as a cloudy afternoon in Clacton-On-Sea. Park the car up for a few weeks and the carb will be dry, takes a fair bit of starter motor action to get fuel through again.

Fuel economy drops off compared to regular gasoline of the same octane rating. Until you realize the timing needs a significant tweak to account for the change. Much better mid range torque, a lot less pinking when set up accordingly. Idle mixture also needs attention for E10, it likes to be more lean.

Stored in Jerry cans it has a stable life of about 3 months in summer before it goes stale.

The ethanol, as stated, is hygroscopic. It sucks moisture out of the air, and the more volatile chemicals they add is meant to keep it in fine suspension so it gets fed through the fuel system and doesn't pool in the tank. Left to sit, those esters evaporate then the ethanol will draw water in and will form globules in the fuel tank. E0 is sold here because E10 is a significant problem for marine engines due to this characteristic and the fact a lot of boats sit about doing nothing for months at a time.

So, overall? In an older car it's a bit shit. In a newer car with fuel injection and a system that can tolerate it, fine. In a modern vehicle that can learn the fuel characteristics and adapt, even better. 

Phil

E10;

2007 Nissan qashcow runs fine on it but is noticeably worse on fuel like 3-6mpg worse.

1991 Triumph. Runs fine and no noticeable difference in economy. Plastic tank still tank shaped but have emptied the tank for winter.

1964 Land-Rover. Hard to tell, seems to run ok, keeping an eye out for melty fuel lines.

7 hours ago, yohan said:

My little 02 plate suzuki ignis actually started getting slightly better mpg after putting e10 in.  I heard in the past that supermarket fuel wasnt as well refined as the likes of bp or shell stations so I wonder if the extra ethanol has improved the fuel at my local asda…

The refining is the same at Asda as it is at BP, otherwise it wouldn't be petrol. It would be a completely different oil derivative.

I suspect it's more likely that the injection and ignition mapping suit E10 better

On 12/17/2021 at 8:12 PM, FakeConcern said:

My Volvo C30 T5 still only gets Tesco Momentum99/V-Power etc so no change there. The Moodus has been running on E10 since it started and originally fuel consuption suffered as when full the Range prediction always used to be about 450 miles, with E10 it went down to about 390 miles. However it has gradually been climbing and is now at about 442n miles. No idea why this is as the car is being used for the same journeys although I've been driving more as Mrs Concern doesn't like driving in the dark and I drive quicker and overtake more.

Mapping recalibrating, I'll guess

2 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

The refining is the same at Asda as it is at BP, otherwise it wouldn't be petrol. It would be a completely different oil derivative.

I suspect it's more likely that the injection and ignition mapping suit E10 better

Though, here the quality of E0 is pretty standard- but E10 varies wildly in quality. It doesn't seem to take much to mess up the balance.

Phil

15 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

That would make sense because of the additive mix so would tend to agree with you

That and it makes it easier for multiple grades at one pump- here the base 87 E10 simply has metered additive pumped in per gallon to vend 91 or 93 grade. It's no longer blended at the refinery and pumped from separate tanks.

Twice now I've filled up at one particular Shell station and have had the car drop out into "poor grade fuel reduced power" mode.  

Another local place to home was buying old stale 87 from heck knows where, and hoping nobody would notice and the extra additive would make up the balance. A few people had their engines grenade, and they were investigated- all the light esters in the 87 had evaporated and the fuel was in the upper 60 range for AKI (anti-knock index, similar to RON).

So, if it can do that in the tanks at the station, it can do it sat in your car. The stuff pumped here doesn't even smell like gasoline. The summer blend in Texas was much better, more like aviation fuel (which doesn't tend to go "off" because it is mostly gasoline, rather than dregs and octane boosters).

Phil