Jump to content

Buyers regret on something I've not even taken delivery of...


Petrolize
 Share

Recommended Posts

Put a deposit down on this Golf, obviously I am going through with it as a deals a deal, but having second thoughts on it and need a bit of encouragement, so where else to ask but here, everyone else thinks I'm mad...

The owner wanted around the £1000-mark, but the winning bidder never made contact, I offered £900 and he accepted without hesitation.

Reasons of doubt:   

Its only listed as 115 bhp, I had initially misheard him and thought it was 150 bhp :(  it has been chipped back in the day however.

Cosmetics:  Dent lets it down, arches getting rusty and sourcing a yellow passenger mirror case might be impossible. 

MOT: Not had one in years, brake pipes seem to keep being advised so likely not done. Has been garaged though. Traction control light on, seller recons the ABS sensor has a broken cable. 

Writing this might be completely pointless, but hopefully someone can give a bit of motivation or tell me I need my head checked. Might be a good thread to post any updates its progress

The Colour concepts are really rare, 400 made in total but most have gone by now, the yellows not to everyone’s tastes but I quite like them. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-Gt-tdi-Colour-Concept-RARE-and-LOW-MILEAGE-/203270570447?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=4aAzwY2nC9e3m3nxJfhbvQYHLhk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

BFC0D00F-DB43-45AE-8264-B90BEE3C60BA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Petrolize changed the title to Buyers regret on something I've not even taken delivery of...

You might not do badly on that. PDs still fetch good money and colour  concepts are well rare as diesels. If all else fails and it doesn't need much for an mot then you've got a mechanically robust car for about a grand. If all else really fails youve lost less than a grand. Win some loose some. Keep us updated 👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

£900 for a slightly scruffy non-MOT'd Mk4 Golf does sound like a lot.  It is a very nice colour though.  Like custard on wheels.

Thank you, hopefully it could have a new MOT on it and still stand me at around the £1300-mark, which might be more stomach-able. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Matty said:

You might not do badly on that. PDs still fetch good money and colour  concepts are well rare as diesels. If all else fails and it doesn't need much for an mot then you've got a mechanically robust car for about a grand. If all else really fails youve lost less than a grand. Win some loose some. Keep us updated 👍

 

Thats good, yes I thought good TDI MK4 Golf's were around the £1500 mark, but a quick look about suggests otherwise, pity as they seem a nice age/model/engine combination. Like you say hopefully I wont loose out massively! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I nearly bought a colour concept in blue for similar money but motd , it was 795 but had a marker against it ( forget which) and I wasn’t keen on the blue/ black duo tone seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

I nearly bought a colour concept in blue for similar money but motd , it was 795 but had a marker against it ( forget which) and I wasn’t keen on the blue/ black duo tone seats.

Not even checked HPI...good reminder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not seeing that personally.  Always tricky with just photos to go on though.

 

Anyway, I actually think you could do really well with this.  Sort the arches, get a test on it leave it absolutely standard and it'll stand out as a decent buy to an enthusiast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it wouldn't be getting £900 of my money as I think it looks cack.

But they are rare and some fanboy could pay decent dosh for it if it's not for you. I'm sure you could add a bit of value to it without much time and investment. Can't see you losing on it if you can get a 12 month ticket on it.

Don't spunk any money on wheels, you'll never see it back.

Enjoy it for what it is as you must of been fairly keen on it at some point.

Good luck with it either way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will add that two of my friends had diesel mk4's in the day and I was quite jealous at the time. They are a nice car when sorted, decent quality (certainly felt that way), nice torque, comfy and good economy. I think you'll do alright in this when you've sorted out it's, hopefully minor, problems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stripped fred said:

I will add that two if my friends had diesel mk4's in the day and I was quite jealous at the time. They are a nice car when sorted, decent quality (certainly felt that way), nice torque, comfy and good economy. I think you'll do alright in this when you've sorted out it's, hopefully minor, problems

That’s great to hear, shouldn’t be too bad to drive if it’s been chipped. Hopefully you are right and the problems aren’t too hard to sort either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that, shame it's been allowed to rust. I think MK4s are pretty good cars, with some known weaknesses which aren't the end of the world to fix. Put it through a test and see if you like it, then look at improving the bodywork. 

Interested to see the interior, sounds like it's the big brother to our Lupo with yellow seat inserts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I like that, shame it's been allowed to rust. I think MK4s are pretty good cars, with some known weaknesses which aren't the end of the world to fix. Put it through a test and see if you like it, then look at improving the bodywork. 

Interested to see the interior, sounds like it's the big brother to our Lupo with yellow seat inserts

Here’s a picture of the inside, complete with a few warning lights on the dash, but it’s to do with the abs sensor 

E25B0F80-9A00-4BD6-A0BC-DC06C044B8E7.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Petrolize said:

Here’s a picture of the inside, complete with a few warning lights on the dash, but it’s to do with the abs sensor 

E25B0F80-9A00-4BD6-A0BC-DC06C044B8E7.jpeg

We had one of the same era in this week and it had broken the wires to the n/s/f sensor. I think the loom had actually rotted out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as you've bought it because you want it, rather than to make money, it doesn't really matter what you paid.  All of the cosmetic stuff is good solid plain colours, so resprays and retrims aren't going to be as difficult to sort out as patterned fabrics or metallic paint.  Mechanical issues are likely to be generic and it being a Golf, support isn't going to be an issue, there'll be plenty of info on how to fix what's wrong and it probably won't even cost that much to put right.

Fix the stuff you know it'll fail an MoT on, bung it in for a test and see what happens.  If nothing else it'll give you a checklist to work through.  Sounds like whatever you might need Ruff can probably get his mitts on or point you in the right direction, and he's a decent sort so he'll see you right if he can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

As long as you've bought it because you want it, rather than to make money, it doesn't really matter what you paid.  All of the cosmetic stuff is good solid plain colours, so resprays and retrims aren't going to be as difficult to sort out as patterned fabrics or metallic paint.  Mechanical issues are likely to be generic and it being a Golf, support isn't going to be an issue, there'll be plenty of info on how to fix what's wrong and it probably won't even cost that much to put right.

Fix the stuff you know it'll fail an MoT on, bung it in for a test and see what happens.  If nothing else it'll give you a checklist to work through.  Sounds like whatever you might need Ruff can probably get his mitts on or point you in the right direction, and he's a decent sort so he'll see you right if he can.

Yes, I just don’t want it become a money pit. That’s reassuring about sorting the issues, the rough plan is to fix the obvious and put in for a test and see what happens. I’ve PM’d him about those parts and help so already posting on the forums coming proving beneficial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I suspect something is bent at the rear as one of the wheels doesn't look central in the arch. 

Looks like it's just at different heights either side, meaning the suspension is at different points in it's travel.  Looking at the condition of the road it's parked on, no surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having owned a Mk V, I reckon a Mk IV is a much safer bet, at least the ABS fault should be a wiring issue and not sensor rings crumbled to dust like mine had. I quite like the interior, the standard black on black with black accents and black trim was a bit depressing.

As a 90s design it does have retro appeal too, especially as they are less common now, the last ones are nearly 17years old. I don’t suppose the wings are too bad, they never rusted as badly as the MkV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh fuck... All this talk of retro... I remember these on display brand new at the VW Dealership when I had Lucy (which was a the first VW Lupo in Kent)... 

This means I'm technically a Giffer! 😱😱😱

Get it bought. You'll not find another. If you like cars, you'll regret letting this one go... 👍 👍 👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...