Buyers regret on something I've not even taken delivery of...

Petrolize

My brothers Mrs has a special edition one of these that has been restored. It's black though with black and dark red recaros. The work was done as it is so rare and actually quite collectable. We are talking a few thousand.

I do honestly think these will be a future classic if not already. There really can't be many left, the colour is amazing as is the interior, a vw fan will be all over this. It would be a shame but if you split it you could make your money back on parts alone. Those front seats would be a fair chunk. 

32 minutes ago, tom13 said:

My brothers Mrs has a special edition one of these that has been restored. It's black though with black and dark red recaros. The work was done as it is so rare and actually quite collectable. We are talking a few thousand.

sounds like a 25th anniversary GTI to me. 

Fix the abs problem and Chuck an MOT on it. Then go from there. Even if you run it for 12 months then flog it you won’t loose much on it. The VW bothering clan will be all over it, especially if you put a pineapple on the roof!! Lovely colour too, not many cars of colour about anymore. Everything’s silver or black at the moment. 

2 hours ago, bigfella2 said:

They made a 25th anniversary GT TDI exactly the same except as the GTi except with the pd150 lump. But could also be a highline TDI too.

I want to say its a colour concept but I would have to check. I can remember it not being a GTI though for sure. There were less than 10 left on the road though. 

I remember there been GT TDI. I always liked the thought of those.

22 hours ago, tom13 said:

I want to say its a colour concept but I would have to check. I can remember it not being a GTI though for sure. There were less than 10 left on the road though. 

I remember there been GT TDI. I always liked the thought of those.

How much roughly was the re-spray, out of interest? 

Anyone know if SORN continues through changes of ownership, didn’t seem to work on the new keeper supplement, tried again now the full V5s come through but it  still doesn’t work. I’d rather SORN it for the month of March even if I tax it next month. 

40 minutes ago, Petrolize said:

Anyone know if SORN continues through changes of ownership, didn’t seem to work on the new keeper supplement, tried again now the full V5s come through but it  still doesn’t work. I’d rather SORN it for the month of March even if I tax it next month. 

No SORN doesn't transfer so you will need to do it again.

Screenshot_20210331-133954_Chrome.thumb.jpg.771f0bab31fc6ac0111b0a99eb82b483.jpg

It is currently showing as SORN though so it won't let you SORN it again until the status changes to untaxed.

15 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

No SORN doesn't transfer so you will need to do it again.

Screenshot_20210331-133954_Chrome.thumb.jpg.771f0bab31fc6ac0111b0a99eb82b483.jpg

It is currently showing as SORN though so it won't let you SORN it again until the status changes to untaxed.

The problem is it goes into a new month tomorrow and it'll tell me off for having it untaxed for the approx 10 day period towards the end of the month if I wait for it to show as being untaxed. Strange it hasn't shown up as being untaxed when I've now received the full V5 in the post. 

3 minutes ago, Petrolize said:

The problem is it goes into a new month tomorrow and it'll tell me off for having it untaxed for the approx 10 day period towards the end of the month if I wait for it to show as being untaxed. Strange it hasn't shown up as being untaxed when I've now received the full V5 in the post. 

@LightBulbFunIs your man for DVLA queries. I would think you will be fine for that gap in taxation but couldn't swear on it.

1 hour ago, Petrolize said:

I am in the same position with my new Carlton. It was on SORN with the last owner and I now have a new V5C and on line won't let me SORN it in spite of a letter saying I need too. I am waiting for the final warning letter.

I had the same problem with the Toledo I bought in December and had to phone DVLA to sort it out.

16 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am in the same position with my new Carlton. It was on SORN with the last owner and I now have a new V5C and on line won't let me SORN it in spite of a letter saying I need too. I am waiting for the final warning letter.

I had the same problem with the Toledo I bought in December and had to phone DVLA to sort it out.

Thats annoying, I've not experienced this before either. I think I'll hopefully have it MOT'd somepoint next month and could tax it then, hopefully DVLA will realise i physically couldn't have taxed if for the month of March even if I wanted given its not been MOT'd in years. I might fill out a SORN form today to be on the safe side though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've nothing at all to add about your yellow Golf, other than 'nice colour'

But I did spot your much loved old Mitsubishi the other day, leaving the local supermarket as I arrived. Here's a hastily shot (and very crap) photo of it. Nice to see it still wearing its skinny wheels and centre caps.

20210415_085201.jpg

Thats great! I actually just caught up with Phil this weekend as he came upto Scotland to buy my neighbours E39 BMW. Nice to see the Eterna still looking the same after all this time! I did check the reg on carjam earlier in the year so had a feeling it was still on the roads and passing warrants, but good to know its still local to you and Stuno. 

Got this back from the MOT man today, so now has a new MOT, does anyone know if it should cost as much as £280 a year in tax? I was expecting around £160, Parker’s recon £170? 

A few pictures, the sunlight flatters it, but will try and give a polish and clean up tomorrow, paints very thin so may not make a difference. 

December 2000 reg, so pre-2001 capacity based rates apply. I suspect our system isn't geared up for that unless you used the VRM check, but I'll feed it back if it's reporting that to suggest it should report the upper rate too unless the car is only available with < 1549cc engines.

• 1 month later...

I've pressed this into day to day duties for the past month and a bit, would like to say its passed with flying colours, but the clutch pedal is still stiff (though it has improved) and it overheats a little sometimes. Anyone know what could be up? Seems to only when accelerating hard uphills on A roads etc, needle goes over the 90' mark, the receeds pretty quickly back to 90' once you ease off the accelerator or start going downhill/level again. Also, the advert when I brought the car said the heater core is suspect, but the heating etc all still works fine so I am not sure its that, yet it does still use coolant. Not a drastic amount of coolant but have had to top up a couple of times over the past 1500 miles. 

1 hour ago, Petrolize said:

I've pressed this into day to day duties for the past month and a bit, would like to say its passed with flying colours, but the clutch pedal is still stiff (though it has improved) and it overheats a little sometimes. Anyone know what could be up? Seems to only when accelerating hard uphills on A roads etc, needle goes over the 90' mark, the receeds pretty quickly back to 90' once you ease off the accelerator or start going downhill/level again. Also, the advert when I brought the car said the heater core is suspect, but the heating etc all still works fine so I am not sure its that, yet it does still use coolant. Not a drastic amount of coolant but have had to top up a couple of times over the past 1500 miles. 

Does it go much over 90? I think that's ok if you're driving it very hard. 

3 hours ago, Petrolize said:

sounds to me like a failing water pump, it cant cool the  car quick enough under load, i imagine it'll be weeping out of the hole on the pump. (havent read whole thread so apologies if this already has been done)