The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 hours ago, comfortablynumb said:

I don't care how long they take in McDonald's.

I hate the stuff 🤢

In Germany their menu has beer listed.

Helping dad with changing the hydraulic pump on a tractor, everything went well except that the new pump had fine threads while the old one had coarse threads and the new pump did not come with new bolts and no mention of this, so of course the threads in the new pump are now broken after using the old bolts.

So the new pump has to come off and see if we can fix it.

43 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

The thing that annoys me most in supermarkets, is when they open up a new till and you’re first in line with a full trolley of groceries. The second person then starts unloading as soon as you do leaving you about 4ft of conveyor. If you actually point out it would be quicker for them to let you unpack first , they’re either confused (how? Somehow the quicker you get your goods unpacked, mine will move faster?) or hostile. 
Or even worse, you’ve already unloaded and they start moving you stuff up to make room for theirs, squashing your bread and breaking eggs etc, the things you put last.

my usual shop is one or another Lidl.  With Farmfoods, Food Warehouse, B&M sometimes.  Never get that, everyone seems quite sensible and patient.  Those of us with a lot of stuff always wave those with only a handful of items in front of them.

Occasionally go to ASDA, Morrisons & Tesco.  Very different there, particularly ASDA. Awful place and onl use it when I have to go to the doctors as it is in the same complex.

54 minutes ago, castros_bro said:

In Germany their menu has beer listed.

I don't know how pissed I'd have to be before I'd even manage to smell it 

It was a very long time ago and despite the reputation we used a McD while on the way to Cologne.  3 a.m. and deserted but lots of very fresh stuff there, freshly made bread, decent coffee etc.

Tried a couple here, dire.

To be fair it's not just housewives who arrive at checkouts like it's their first time in a shop, I sometimes man the trade counter at our place and there's always that one arriving at the till after scanning all their stuff annouces they've left their trade account card in the van or in another pair of overalls meaning we have to go digging about in the computer to find their account and tag them on the till, then they'll pull out a wad of cards an inch thick from an almost round wallet full of receips from 2019 and start searching for the one that has funds on it. Often finding their trade card in the process.

It's bad enough when it's regular shopping trollies, but it doesn't take many big A frame trollies full of  8x4 ply, 3 meter lengths of CLS and barrow loads of cement to cause a jam that winds halfway up an aisle.

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

my usual shop is one or another Lidl.  With Farmfoods, Food Warehouse, B&M sometimes.  Never get that, everyone seems quite sensible and patient.  Those of us with a lot of stuff always wave those with only a handful of items in front of them.

Occasionally go to ASDA, Morrisons & Tesco.  Very different there, particularly ASDA. Awful place and onl use it when I have to go to the doctors as it is in the same complex.

I always let people with one or two items through but no one has ever let me through when I’ve only got a couple of things. Morrison’s staff seem to think it’s ok to go to the front of the queue without asking. (With their lunch tbf. I get their time is limited but they don’t even ask, just walk past you like you don’t exist). Never seen it in other shops.

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

It was a very long time ago and despite the reputation we used a McD while on the way to Cologne.  3 a.m. and deserted but lots of very fresh stuff there, freshly made bread, decent coffee etc.

Tried a couple here, dire.

Yeah, biggest issue I've seen is that at, say, 3am, what competition is there? I've worked nights, had  travel distances early on the morning etc, and if you need a coffee, what alternatives are there?

We stopped at the ferrybridge services a couple years ago, early AM, don't know why they bothered, EVERYTHING was shut, apart from the bogs

So this happened. Right when the Mrs and I needed the car as we had a hospital appointment. £65 later. Tyre weld actually did surprisingly well 

IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

On 06/09/2024 at 16:33, comfortablynumb said:

I don't care how long they take in McDonald's.

I hate the stuff 🤢

Read the story about the burger left for a year my scientists .....a tad to many preservatives me thinks , if I take step daughter then all I'll eat is the fries

• Like 2

14 hours ago, comfortablynumb said:

Yeah, biggest issue I've seen is that at, say, 3am, what competition is there? I've worked nights, had  travel distances early on the morning etc, and if you need a coffee, what alternatives are there?

We stopped at the ferrybridge services a couple years ago, early AM, don't know why they bothered, EVERYTHING was shut, apart from the bogs

The alternative is planning. 

A flask?

A Primus stove?

A Travel Kettle? 

A camping container with fresh water? 

Add some cheese sandwiches in a cool bag? With ice blocks.

Add a banana.

Add some UHT milk, a sealed plastic container with 1345 rice Krispies and a spoon.

Usually this idea comes into my head just after forking out for motorway prices. 

Just ask "what would granny have done?" 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, comfortablynumb said:

This is mostly when I use a mcd's. Travelling home from a concert with my dad at 12.30/1am, both needing a piss and not having eaten since 3pm the day before... 2 plain chicken sandwiches and a large piss water 7 up at the drive through is perfect! (then a piss in the bushes afterwards as the building is always closed 😡

Saying that if I'm somewhere during the day and there is a choice I go KFC anyway 😂

When I've been wandering town centres and seen their local maccas 96 deep at every self service kiosk though... McFuck that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

That's fine @newpod when the organisation is on your side, yes I do use a camping stove regularly, but when I've got an emergency call from, say, Anglian water, when I'm not supposed to be on call, the alternatives are pretty slim

Granny wouldn't have been driving a sewage tanker 

Btw I'm allergic to bananas 😁

Edited by comfortablynumb

Maccys is great for somebody on the road a lot, a lot are open 24/7, cheap, decent coffee or tea, £1.99 for a wrap of the day to keep the weary traveler going and easy to drive through or nip in for a McShit or McPiss.

3 hours ago, comfortablynumb said:

dThat's fine @newpod when the organisation is on your side, yes I do use a camping stove regularly, but when I've got an emergency call from, say, Anglian water, when I'm not supposed to be on call, the alternatives are pretty slim

Granny wouldn't have been driving a sewage tanker 

Btw I'm allergic to bananas 😁

Does that not make the drive-through a bit challenging? 😁💩

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Does that not make the drive-through a bit challenging? 😁💩

I can drive through, no problem.

It's what's left afterwards that's the problem.....😱 

Btw I don't drive shit tankers any more, in both meanings 😁

Edited by comfortablynumb
Additional
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, comfortablynumb said:

I can drive through, no problem.

It's what's left afterwards that's the problem.....😱 

Btw I don't drive shit tankers any more, in both meanings 😁

"please let me in for a piss or I'll empty the tanker right here in your drive thru lane" 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

"please let me in for a piss or I'll empty the tanker through your drive thru window" 

Might have more effect!

• Haha 1

On 07/09/2024 at 00:09, IronStar said:

I’m shuffling around bank accounts to take advantage of savings account that’s giving 4.01% yield vs 0.00% I have now. Why is this a grump? I just got stopped by automated antifraud, freezing the transaction and marking it for a review on Monday. I didn’t even do a full clean, I started with 1/3 of the sum first. Fucksake. 

I had a very small of inheritance from a revelative, who died without a will. The relative died in the UK I am in Spain. My inheritance got stopped due to  money laundering laws. I wanted the money to go into a Wise account to take advantage of when the exchange rate (£ to €) was better for me. The solicitor wanted to send a cheque . That would not have been easy to cash here in Spain because we do not use cheques and it would have been in £s. It was my money, can I not ask for it to be paid in anyway I requested?  A small bit of research I found the UK  money laundering  laws are not exactly clear on what they consider to be possible money laundering.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

"please let me in for a piss or I'll empty the tanker right here in your drive thru lane" 

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Might have more effect!

Probably make the food taste better!

• Haha 1

Change of subject - why is it whenever I have to drive at sunset I'm always driving at the sun, which is always placed exactly right to shine between the sunvisors above the mirror, or through the gap between the A pillar and the end of the visor?

And even if I negotiate a bend in the road, a few seconds later it's back to where it was, blinding me?

I need my relatives to move 😁

Found this beautiful creature ( a southern hawker) in the front grill when I got back from frensham ponds after a bike ride. Don’t think it appreciated the 60mph drive although it was still alive. Coaxed it onto a stick and left it to dry out and left it some sugar water but it didn’t make it.

IMG_1524.jpeg

Looks like a mature one, so it may have been approaching the end anyway; they only last ~6 weeks. Great to see the more exotic native invertebrates buzzing about given the general gloom over the environment.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

Read the story about the burger left for a year my scientists .....a tad to many preservatives me thinks , if I take step daughter then all I'll eat is the fries

I'd rather eat the box.

12 hours ago, barefoot said:

What would Scooby Doo?

Bring his own (scooby) snack. 

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I found the UK  money laundering  laws are not exactly clear on what they consider to be possible money laundering.

It's only money laundering if you got it through illegal activity. 

It's just that you need to convince a bank that it came from a will. That's the solicitors problem. Tell him/her the account you want it paid into and if necessary get him/her to convince said bank that it's clean money. 

Coming back to the UK to find crying letters from a couple of bills demanding payment. Some agencies are properly up their own arses. What a welcome home 🤬

Went to the cinema with the Mrs. Didn't go too well.

Got on a bus, plonked the Mrs on a seat, and stood, only going 2 stops. For the first time in my life someone offers me a seat, so I must officially be an old giffer now.

Cinema is a vue. Oh no, big queue for tickets says Mrs. I engage lateral thinking, pull out phone and book, saving £2 in the process. Win!

Mrs then wants over priced ice cream. Approach ice cream counter. Oh, if you want ice cream you have to queue in the tickets queue. Eh? There's like 10 tills selling tickets, when I get to front of huge ticket queue is someone going to run up here and get ice cream? Fuck that noise.

Film eventually starts. What's wrong with this picture? 

image.jpeg.28fd96f74aca7e7b8dd6975006d91ce4.jpeg

Is it too much to expect not to have light shining on the screen? There's a lot of dark in space films.

TLDR: Vue can fuck right off.