The Autoshite Association

B4lljoints

I'll admit it - I'm shite at posting content on forums. Sporadic at best but I'm gong to try to be better on AS.

Anyway, the reason that I'm into old cars is that my dad was an Area Manager for the AA. He started his career in Chelmsford and then moved up to The Peoples' Republic of Yorkshite in 1970. He used to take me to AA relay bases when I was a kid which I thought was ACE when you're a chod spotting schoolboy (weird kid huh?). We also used to go to all of the airshows, Lombard rallies, country shows etc as part of the AA publicity caravan.

When he shuffled off this mortal coil I inherited a load of old AA gubbins which I thought I'd share here.

So far it's mostly books and photos but there's a First Aid kit which might be slightly* out of date, a couple of badges (I think the single 'A' one is from an IAM course that the old fella did which is ironic as he forgot how to use first gear once he retired), a nifty little case, and 'that' AA Book of the Car that nearly everyone has a copy of.

I'll keep adding bits as I trawl through it...

20200825_131448.jpg

20200825_140151.jpg

20200825_135902.jpg

20200825_140221.jpg

20200825_140021.jpg

20200825_140036.jpg

20200825_135943.jpg

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

AA book of the car is in my opinion the holy grail of Autoshite books. Just look at the front cover, it just oozes 1971. I hope to find one some day.

Welcome along!

I got given a copy of it recently! It’s every bit as brilliant as you’d expect. The page explaining how to repair a rotten sill with chicken wire and wob is a personal favourite

9 hours ago, B4lljoints said:

And here's something for @dollywobbler

20200827_114343.jpg

oh thats very cool a cutaway drawing of a Villiers invalid vehicle, dont see many of those, the specific vehicle shown is a AC Acedes Mk15 (Model 67) and its the first cutaway drawing I have seen of that type :) 

do you know when the publication it is in dates to? (the AC Acedes Mk15 (Model 67) was produced from about June 1969 to March 1971)

interesting to note that it shows the roof guttering only going along the tops of the window frame, which is a Mk14/Mk14A feature, all the Mk15's I have have it going the full length of the window frame, but its clearly a drawing of a Mk15 due to the prominent parallelogram front suspension

and also the front tow bar is missing again a feature of the Mk15, have to wonder is it a drawing of a prototype/development machine?

11 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

My copy says the first edition was published in 1970, so right in the middle of those two dates

interesting :)  perhaps the missing tow bar/incomplete roof guttering are just an oversight of the drawing, but it is a fairly detailed drawing so i do wonder

especially as it stops exactly where it stops on a Mk14 (on a Mk15 they go all the way down the side of the window) 

ac5.jpg

(and I recall the Mk14 having a slightly diffrent control layout, but ill have to double check when im on the main computer tomorrow) 

of course it may be a drawing of a Mk14, but im pretty positive thats parallelogram front suspension compared to the C tube suspension of the Mk14

sadly there are very few detailed photos of Model 67's out there so it makes IDing things a bit tricky sometimes