SiC

2002 Renault Clio II 172

One of my favourite colours is that. I need to save a few more pennies for that sort of money first though. But then not too much more (£2k-ish) will get me in a Trophy. 

Also need to sell the Laguna asap!

Fair point.

Every time I see MotorHub advertising a car I always think of this Marillion song

Bit with these lyrics

Keighley, is it too late to say I'm sorry I didn't mean to break your car.

Completely different to drive. A CTR revs up to about 5 or 6k before the VTEC kicks in whereas the dephaser on a 1*2 will start to work above 2.5k and really come into play after 4k. You can hear it opening up the induction by the change in noise, it's great.

@dome has owned both, he may be able to give more of an outline than I can.

The v-tec's are potless until the v-tec kicks.  Renaults are a more well rounded but revving the nuts of a car to 8000 rpm in the Honda does feel great .  Around that time (or ever) there aren't many cars making that kind of power NA, not even the BMW 320si.

Ona slight tangent. What’s an alternative to a clio 172/182. A civic type R? Thinking about something that can match its pace?

EP3 or FN2?

I've had both as non-type-r (EP4 and FK3) and I love my Civics. In fact I owned both for nearly 5 years each. So know them really well.

However this time it needs to be a 172/182 as I've promised myself one for so long. Incidentally I only owned my first car for 1.5 years before I traded it in for an EP4.

Maybe in the future I'll get a Civic ... before they're all smashed up or rotted out. Would I get a EP3 or FN2? Not sure. EP3 arguably the better chassis thanks to the rear end axle setup. FN2 much nicer interior with more practical boot because of the different rear axle.

16 hours ago, cort16 said:

The v-tec's are potless until the v-tec kicks.  Renaults are a more well rounded but revving the nuts of a car to 8000 rpm in the Honda does feel great .  Around that time (or ever) there aren't many cars making that kind of power NA, not even the BMW 320si.

@Split_Pin Cort here has said exactly what i was going to write(apart from the 320si bit, obvs)  

When really, really going for it my EP3 Type R just had the edge on the Clio but for 99% of the time the Clio was better. 

That's a big reason for me wanting a Kangoo 182, it's the massive torque at low revs that I love about the F4R in a Clio/Kangoo which makes daily driving a joy. Something they EP3 can't provide.

I had a 1992 CRX VT a couple of years ago that had 180bhp from 1.6. I didn't find the alleged lack of torque a problem, especially when you didn't want to drive fast (which is most of the time).

I would 100% go for a Civic over these, they aren't falling to bits around you, and they handle the same also.

Have to be careful of rust with the EP3. Even down South. 

Local garage usual customer tends to be at the lower end of the car expense scale and said they're getting a lot in of that era Civic that they're having to fail on rot.  

2 hours ago, dome said:

@Split_Pin Cort here has said exactly what i was going to write(apart from the 320si bit, obvs)  

When really, really going for it my EP3 Type R just had the edge on the Clio but for 99% of the time the Clio was better. 

That's a big reason for me wanting a Kangoo 182, it's the massive torque at low revs that I love about the F4R in a Clio/Kangoo which makes daily driving a joy. Something they EP3 can't provide.

Slight aside, but what do you reckon of the Toyota 2ZZ 190 compared to the EP3? 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Have to be careful of rust with the EP3. Even down South. 

Local garage usual customer tends to be at the lower end of the car expense scale and said they're getting a lot in of that era Civic that they're having to fail on rot.  

Hmmm Civic you say?

160bhp Civic Type-S VSA any good to you? No rot at all!

30 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

Hmmm Civic you say?

160bhp Civic Type-S VSA any good to you? No rot at all!

Not enough ponies and not Clio shaped enough!

Looks alright motor for someone (apart from the painted alloys!). 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, SiC said:

I bidded up to £650 on this. Not sure I'd want to spend much more than that for one failed it's emissions
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333635439387

Which it did quite spectacularly! (Seller sent this)
48cefa159bf61451e21322518367339f.jpg

I'm guessing not the cat as it's running slobbering rich and burning very inefficiently given its way over on all measurements. Well the cat is probably fucked now too. I reckon leaking injector or something like that.

Sold for £1135. 

Days of cheap broken 172/182 Clios has gone! Made me realise even more that I need to jump now for one as most definitely on the up in value and desirability. 

Think I'll be spending £2k to £3k and get a reasonably decent one. That £1135 looks like it needs a bit of work before it's half decent. By the time you've added decent tyres, paint and fixed whatever for the MOT, it'll be nearly £2k. 

It's very tempting that orange one. I do like the bright colours and it's not a bad price...

Cheap easyJet Flights from Bristol to Glasgow but not sure I really want to do one of them at the moment.

See if you can knock the price down a bit then get it delivered. I've not seen many that colour.

Or do a one way car hire.

You might be able to do one of those £1 one way car rentals between Bristol and Glasgow, not sure if they do move cars that far though 

This would be the sensible transport option, given I'm 10 minutes away from the airport now. However I'm not totally up for sitting in a sealed tube for an hour just yet, while a serious virus is floating around. 

Screenshot_20200705-095905.thumb.png.111b9ad43d2957e7a76f6d369f9d7217.png

5 hours ago, SiC said:

Drug dealer car innit. Probably trying to get the stash nicked. 

All the drug dealers up here drive Audi RS's so unless it's Paracetamol and Asprin  he's dealing you should be okay.

33 minutes ago, cort16 said:

All the drug dealers up here drive Audi RS's so unless it's Paracetamol and Asprin  he's dealing you should be okay.

definitely a " Client" Motor

#methadonemick