MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

55 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

It is ignorance 99% of the time, I am the ‘car bloke’ where I work and see lots of problems that should be easily noticeable by the vaguely aware. With the exception of one guy, none of them would choose to run on bald tyres - they just NEVER check them (that’s what the MoT is for in their eyes - and many think the MoT is the same as a service). They don’t notice funny noises, smells, tight spots in the steering etc etc. I have got into cars I have never driven and within a minute know something is not right but they seem oblivious. Some of it can be explained by the younger ones being used to the ‘wrapped in cotton wool’ feel of modern cars, but the ones older than me are no better so it can’t just be that. I think to most people cars are just like a fridge or a TV, they don’t care how it works - they have become a white good.

I think it’s moreover the incredulity that the car actually needs repairs and money spending on it from time to time or the complete ignorance of people of how much things actually cost. I had someone go to me today about how the garage was ripping them off charging them £45 for an MOT. If anything doing MOTs is probably a loss leader for a lot of garages, it’s the repair work it generates. 

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think it’s moreover the incredulity that the car actually needs repairs and money spending on it from time to time or the complete ignorance of people of how much things actually cost. I had someone go to me today about how the garage was ripping them off charging them £45 for an MOT. If anything doing MOTs is probably a loss leader for a lot of garages, it’s the repair work it generates. 

I think it depends on the garage as to if its a loss leader or not, for example a BMW dealer in Central London that charges (say) £200 an hour would be losing money but a small independent in the Highlands of Scotland that charges (say) £30 an hour wouldn't be. 

1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I think it depends on the garage as to if its a loss leader or not, for example a BMW dealer in Central London that charges (say) £200 an hour would be losing money but a small independent in the Highlands of Scotland that charges (say) £30 an hour wouldn't be. 

Yeah, but factor in the cost of buying and maintaining the equipment in a fairly typical under the arches type place and they can’t be making a fortune on them. There’s a maximum you can charge for an MOT so the time it takes up and the time on the ramps is going to be even more costly for a central London garage who charges £200 ph. 

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Not in my experience, they seem fine with spending what I would consider obscene amounts of money- £1000 for a set of tyres for a stupid crossover for example, they just don’t seem to think that checking such things is so do thing they should do - somehow the car should tell them to do it, or it should only be needed at service/ MoT time. Our local MoT place only does MoTs so 100% not the case there but sure some are as you describe (kwikfit?).

16 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Not in my experience, they seem fine with spending what I would consider obscene amounts of money- £1000 for a set of tyres for a stupid crossover for example, they just don’t seem to think that checking such things is so do thing they should do - somehow the car should tell them to do it, or it should only be needed at service/ MoT time. Our local MoT place only does MoTs so 100% not the case there but sure some are as you describe (kwikfit?).

‘Has it any Service History?’

’Yes we have it MOTd every year!’

As if for £45 you get 45 minutes MOT and another hour and a half labour and materials to do the full service. 

Just now, sierraman said:

‘Has it any Service History?’

’Yes we have it MOTd every year!’

As if for £45 you get 45 minutes MOT and another hour and a half labour and materials to do the full service. 

Yup heard that many times, worst I had was a Peugeot 307 where the oil light had come on. When I asked when it was last serviced the reply was ‘when I bought it’, turned out that was 6 years and about 50,000 miles previously. The next response was ‘I get it MoTed every year, they should do it’. I topped up the oil with the stuff I mix 50/50 with paraffin to use as a lathe cutting fluid. I think it cost about £20 for 20litres. I said it would do until she could get it changed URGENTLY, I made it clear what would happen if she didn’t. To be fair I was wrong as it was still on that oil when it was part chopped against something on PCP two years later, the reasoning from her was that the light had gone out so it was ok again. I gained a lot of respect for pug engines from that one. A good old Pinto wouldn’t have taken that abuse, the spray bar would have been solid. I have also seen tyres down to the belts, one where ‘it’s making a funny noise is it ok?’, no half your exhaust is missing and it sounds like a Max Power centrefold, someone who did try - sadly they poured windscreen was her fluid in their brake cylinder reservoir (that one I got as much as aI could and told them to get it flushed through, guess what? Yup, still on that fluid a year later).

My  MOT tester is still doing them but has had more arguments than normal. 

One apparently was an old giffer who booked the test but refused to get out the car and said my mate would infect him if he did,  another was someone who said he could test the car but was not allowed to get inside it or drive it.

Both were pointed in the direction of the exit. 

The 04 Panda I bought Mrs BMH back in Feb was a fine example of what has been said above.

Annual MoT and oil and filter change (but that was only for the last three). All other work was done because it was needed for the test. 

Gave it a major service, plugs had Fiat / Lancia on them, air filter was a bit black, oil was below minimum, rear brake cylinder leaking etc etc. Guess they got rid because garage had said it'll not pass next time (EML on but no faults, just hadn't been reset).

Test due 17th May, stick (get it tested) or twist ( hope it gets extended)?

5 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Yup heard that many times, worst I had was a Peugeot 307 where the oil light had come on. When I asked when it was last serviced the reply was ‘when I bought it’, turned out that was 6 years and about 50,000 miles previously. The next response was ‘I get it MoTed every year, they should do it’. I topped up the oil with the stuff I mix 50/50 with paraffin to use as a lathe cutting fluid. I think it cost about £20 for 20litres. I said it would do until she could get it changed URGENTLY, I made it clear what would happen if she didn’t. To be fair I was wrong as it was still on that oil when it was part chopped against something on PCP two years later, the reasoning from her was that the light had gone out so it was ok again. I gained a lot of respect for pug engines from that one. A good old Pinto wouldn’t have taken that abuse, the spray bar would have been solid. I have also seen tyres down to the belts, one where ‘it’s making a funny noise is it ok?’, no half your exhaust is missing and it sounds like a Max Power centrefold, someone who did try - sadly they poured windscreen was her fluid in their brake cylinder reservoir (that one I got as much as aI could and told them to get it flushed through, guess what? Yup, still on that fluid a year later).

short version , guy at work, oil light on, asked maintenance guy to have a look, oil filter rusted through, when did you last have it serviced, never , 8 years he'd had it, just MOT and whatever it failed on , new filter fitted, a litre of oil , lasted another 2 years until the clutch gave out, it was 99.999% worn out but he limped it to the garage and PX'd it

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

Yeah, but factor in the cost of buying and maintaining the equipment in a fairly typical under the arches type place and they can’t be making a fortune on them. There’s a maximum you can charge for an MOT so the time it takes up and the time on the ramps is going to be even more costly for a central London garage who charges £200 ph. 

£30 for an MOT where I go , it was £25 up to a year ago

5 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Yep, Astra G van. It only came in as the piston had popped out of the caliper!

Surely that must've been all over the place on the brakes , did he think it was 1974 and the noise was somebody had put a lolly stick in his spokes

• 2 weeks later...

We are seeing a bit of change to the lock-down. MoT stations have been allowed to continue operating anyway but as we know there has been this rolling 6-mo extension.

Anyone any news on when this might end - not soon would be my guess to keep contacts still low - but anyone hear?

Will it just STOP - or be an announcement and a date given I wonder? The latter would give people time to prepare - but good organisation seems a bit in short supply.

I was talking to one of the testers at my local garage yesterday.  They haven't heard anything on when the extension is likely to stop, but they had heard a rumour (and it is just a rumour) that when cars which have had their MOTs extended are eventually tested 6 months down the line, said test will then only be valid for 6 months - this is to avoid having no MOTs whatsoever from March to May and a glut of them from September to November forevermore.

Just now, Jim Bell said:

When is the extension being applied? Is it rolling 1st of the month or actually on the MOT due date?

It seems to be about 7 days before the due date. 

The legislation they put in place is valid for 12 months (until 30th March 2021); I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep applying the extensions until then, which will also avoid spikes in renewals as everything will just have shifted back six months.

5 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

The extension is automatic  - you mean after the  auto-extension but before it's expiry - ie during the 6-month period. Hmmmm...good point. Have to wait to see what Gov says I suppose. 

Someone here may decide to test beforehand and find out.

Yes, the 6 months takes me to near Christmas so I was thinking of getting it done earlier hence why I asked