Jump to content
gadgetgricey

MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

Recommended Posts

Not so much just the lock-up duration perhaps - more how long it will also take to get back to normal after. 6-months avoids a huge backlog of tests to clear which would have taken months. About 7.9 million car MoT's a quarter and 50,000 testers of all types in UK. So it would not have taken long for the whole system to collapse in the current situation.

If you enjoy stats this is worth a look:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/855781/dvsa-mot-01-mot-test-results-by-class-of-vehicle_.csv/preview

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boxster MOT would have expired on the 6th April, so I got it MOT'd yesterday to make sure it didn't lapse...

I guess at least I supported my local garage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea. Makes me concerned for my MoT garage - I'm not sure what happens income-wise in the intervening 6-month 'holiday'. There will be a few non-MoT cars turning up but what else? Some may MoT early anyway to avoid MoT-ing in the winter. I try to time mine in the spring to avoid fixing cars in October/November etc so may not wait the whole 6-month extension.

Worrying for them I am sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

so may not wait the whole 6-month extension.

Yes, my main two are due May/June which is a good time for them. I'll get mine tested as soon as it's reasonable during the extension period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its definitely worded vaguely. my trike mot is due in july and after checking that online it still says july so rolling 6 months until backlog lifted?

Just checked Corolla too and that's still saying july. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result :D
Pleasure Wagon just sneaks in under the wire - one day to spare!

1695529514_ScreenHunter_228Mar_2515_59.thumb.jpg.41791fa5e04df5d1ea9bed2cde4b744b.jpg


I've already MOT prep'd it, but with work grinding to a halt, I was unsure whether I'd need it this summer so hadn't call my tame tester yet. But it's good to know I can just "tax-n-go" if I need to shift owt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

Its definitely worded vaguely. my trike mot is due in july and after checking that online it still says july so rolling 6 months until backlog lifted?

Just checked Corolla too and that's still saying july. 

It may take a bit of time before the updates come on stream I'd guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikeKnight said:

Mine is due 28th March.

Fucksake.

Mine 26th March double-fuckssake....

Pretty sure the local station is shut too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, egg said:

I think from LBF's extensive playing with the DVLA websites the servers update sometime late in the evening. Maybe it will show tomorrow.

keep in mind the extension is set to start from the 30th of march, id not expect any MOTs to be extended before then

from reading the BBC news etc, it looks like the extension is to be discussed one last time before being implemented

hence why its for the 30th and not being implemented immediately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES.

Stay of execution then for the Picasso.
It was off to the bridge in August but that now won't be till Feb next year.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, egg said:

I think from LBF's extensive playing with the DVLA websites the servers update sometime late in the evening. Maybe it will show tomorrow.

I'm sorry I misread that to make me think that LBF plays with their websites so much that the server takes longer to update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

YES.

Stay of execution then for the Picasso.
It was off to the bridge in August but that now won't be till Feb next year.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
 

If the lock is lifted and backlog gone before august does that mean your original date applies though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

If the lock is lifted and backlog gone before august does that mean your original date applies though?

I think so. This is rolling but only until things start to get back to normal when theyll review it

Mrs cortinadave is ecstatic as her Fiesta was due on the 30th and this broke in the news minutes after the garage had text her to say her test was cancelled as theyd decided to close til end april

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much the same here in NZ. Ins co's will continue cover for expired test cars so long as the car is sound. Bald tyres for instance will be an insurance killer as the fault is obvious and the tyres were bald before the lockdown.  Police have said they "don't know yet" but the inference in how they said that was to just carry on driving. BX was booked for test on the 30th, so I will be one of those without a W.O.F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If the lock is lifted and backlog gone before august does that mean your original date applies though?
Don't spoil it for me

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

Mine 26th March double-fuckssake....

Pretty sure the local station is shut too.

My motorbike's runs out on the 24th - I had it booked in - cancelled due to the MOT place shutting due to the dreaded lurgy. I have rung around bike MOTers in ever increasing circles and eventually found one 40 miles away that can do it on Friday...

HMG website says all vehicles whose MOT is due up to and including the  29th must be MOT'd (unless the owner has the lurgy or is susceptible to it) but on the same page it says you must stay indoors unless absolutely necessary.

So why is it absolutely necessary for me to have to MOT the bike as it's due on the 24th, but not absolutely necessary if it was due on the 30th? Did something go wrong at every single MOT station in the country before the 30th of March 2019 which means that this select group of vehicles must definitely be tested? It's not as if the must be tested group runs to the end of the month - which would make sense as they could co-ordinate vehicle tax with MOT exemption starting from the new tax month (rather than the new month plus 2 days which is the current situation).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mum's Skoda went in on Monday for an early test and as expected failed with one dangerous a broken spring I think. But typically the MOT would've been extended as 31st was actual date due. Maybe just as well as she would've been driving around an extra 6 months on a broken spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, martc said:

My motorbike's runs out on the 24th - I had it booked in - cancelled due to the MOT place shutting due to the dreaded lurgy. I have rung around bike MOTers in ever increasing circles and eventually found one 40 miles away that can do it on Friday...

HMG website says all vehicles whose MOT is due up to and including the  29th must be MOT'd (unless the owner has the lurgy or is susceptible to it) but on the same page it says you must stay indoors unless absolutely necessary.

So why is it absolutely necessary for me to have to MOT the bike as it's due on the 24th, but not absolutely necessary if it was due on the 30th? Did something go wrong at every single MOT station in the country before the 30th of March 2019 which means that this select group of vehicles must definitely be tested? It's not as if the must be tested group runs to the end of the month - which would make sense as they could co-ordinate vehicle tax with MOT exemption starting from the new tax month (rather than the new month plus 2 days which is the current situation).

I'd guess because this will need to be a change to a piece of government 'regulation' concerning MoTs given delegated decision-making  - given to the Minister - ie the bit that can be changed related to a piece of primary legislation that went through Parliament at some point as a Road Traffic Act. The usual approach is not to back date this - a legal minefield - but to enact the change from the day of decision as soon as the paperwork is sorted and signed by the Minister or a delegated officer. Its not operational until the pen hits the paper usually or just after - hence the 30th. Arbitrary but its probably as soon as practical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been answered already, but are there any guidelines for what to do if your vehicle fails MOT and the retest falls after the deadline?

It's the Toyota Supra I'm MOT'ing and my normal MOT man has shut up shop for the time being, which is sensible, but means unfortunately I have to take it to the only place I know is open.. who is INCREDIBLY picky and lists things like low oil on the sheets even though you're not supposed to. Don't have much of a choice though. I only go to him because he's spitting distance from my workshop so I can get away with punting cars through him that have no insurance or tax on without driving them over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell I love all this relaxation of the regulations (especially as both of my Mot-able vehicles fall within the extension period). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to flout the law and do the repairs on the Rover this weekend then, if I'm going to get it in for a retest before everything shuts down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, inconsistant said:

Ours is being tested now as due today. Wonder what I'm supposed to do if it fails and I can't get the parts required to fix it?

The Dark Beast passed. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was nudged over the line a little because of the impending difficulties had it failed and needed parts that aren't available because motor facts don't have drivers to distribute parts and then the mot station would be closed from friday so no chance of a free retest..I reckon if it had been dangerous or unroadworthy it would have still failed but I can see the tester wouldn't want to create a massive problem for us over some minor issues. So when all is back to normal it will get a service, a look over by the mechanic and a few bits and bobs looked at just to be on the safe side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeKnight said:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but are there any guidelines for what to do if your vehicle fails MOT and the retest falls after the deadline?

It's the Toyota Supra I'm MOT'ing and my normal MOT man has shut up shop for the time being, which is sensible, but means unfortunately I have to take it to the only place I know is open.. who is INCREDIBLY picky and lists things like low oil on the sheets even though you're not supposed to. Don't have much of a choice though. I only go to him because he's spitting distance from my workshop so I can get away with punting cars through him that have no insurance or tax on without driving them over.

If the MoT falls after the 29th - you will get the extension automatically I believe - so don't Mot early.  If you have no MoT and fail before the 29th you won't get the extension - you will still have no MoT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex Burnside/Punto Paul,  Fiorino, mot expiring on the 23 rd April, was booked in for a test  at 1 pm with a well known national mot testing chain.

Got a call about 12.30 from my tame mechanic informing me that mot's expiring from the 30 th March will be extended by six months. He also advised, that it appeared that if vehicle was tested and failed  the mot, the  extension would not apply. Also told me  there was a strong probability that the chain will cease operation on Friday to safe guard  the staff and customers against possible infection. If that happened he might not have enough time to fix any fails which would mean the van will be off the road for the foreseeable future. He did say he would clarify that depending on an up-date, so I cancelled the test.

Any way, a pic of the Fiat and my recently acquired largish van.

DSC_0075 (4).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...