MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

5 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

My 4th April MoT due still  showing - so this appears to be inching ahead day by day so far.

I checked mine twice yesterday to see if it’d moved forward. When I checked the first time in the morning it was still showing as being due, later that afternoon it changed to October. It must update each day.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:33 PM, martc said:

My motorbike's runs out on the 24th - I had it booked in - cancelled due to the MOT place shutting due to the dreaded lurgy. I have rung around bike MOTers in ever increasing circles and eventually found one 40 miles away that can do it on Friday...

HMG website says all vehicles whose MOT is due up to and including the  29th must be MOT'd (unless the owner has the lurgy or is susceptible to it) but on the same page it says you must stay indoors unless absolutely necessary.

So why is it absolutely necessary for me to have to MOT the bike as it's due on the 24th, but not absolutely necessary if it was due on the 30th? Did something go wrong at every single MOT station in the country before the 30th of March 2019 which means that this select group of vehicles must definitely be tested? It's not as if the must be tested group runs to the end of the month - which would make sense as they could co-ordinate vehicle tax with MOT exemption starting from the new tax month (rather than the new month plus 2 days which is the current situation).

It was to allow for 'consultation'.  Cnuts.

Mine is booked in for the nearest MOT station that remains open, for Tuesday. ATS Stirling. 

Fecking ABS light has a mind of it's own as per usual German gremlin in the system. Will pull a battery reset when I arrive and hope that's enough to get our ticket to ride?

If it fails I'm going rogue as the law's an arse.

So this is working nicely. Two of mine for early April are now early October. Fine.

But how will they finish the scheme when the emergency ends?

Talk of the getting 7 days ahead. Otherwise there will be a lot of owners needing to get a MoT quickly in what may still be chaotic times if it stops quickly/abruptly and they need a new MoT a just few days after.

Will take time for garages to get up to speed too. Some may be in financial difficulties, have staff scattered all over the place, have people still sick or caring etc or just take a few days to get cars booked. 

Anyone any more information? 

16 hours ago, Mally said:

Not yet, but it may well be come August.

If the scheme is still running in August. We will see. Someone will need to make the decision - currently on a rolling basis day-by-day programme, each of mine was done the day before the expiry date.

Be interesting to see if they get ahead or not - I will need to look out my next dates and pay attention to how .Gov manage this.

• Dear Mr Williams

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6 April 2020, concerning your MOT.

The DVSA are currently in the process of adding the extensions for MOT tests that expire on or after the 30 March 2020. This is being done in batches on a rolling basis seven days ahead, an example of this would be, On a Monday the tests due to expire the following Monday would be moved on six months. This will be done automatically and you will be able to view the extended date here once it has been completed.

We do not currently know how long the extensions will be in place but the government will keep this under review to manage the spread of COVID-19.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Over 90% of customers surveyed are satisfied with the service we have provided. Let us know what you think by clicking here.

Kind Regards,

Alison | Customer Service Centre
    Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
    Phone: 0300 123 9000

DVSA_3298_DIGI_AW

Helping you stay safe on Britain’s roads

19 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

So this is working nicely. Two of mine for early April are now early October. Fine.

But how will they finish the scheme when the emergency ends?

Talk of the getting 7 days ahead. Otherwise there will be a lot of owners needing to get a MoT quickly in what may still be chaotic times if it stops quickly/abruptly and they need a new MoT a just few days after.

Will take time for garages to get up to speed too. Some may be in financial difficulties, have staff scattered all over the place, have people still sick or caring etc or just take a few days to get cars booked. 

Anyone any more information? 

I thought the same on the ‘7 day rule’ where I am still waiting to see when my 16th April ‘rolls over’ to October.

when the ‘music stops’ there will be some panics on as folk try and get an MOT slot that is available and suitable......er yes boss, I know i’ve been furloughed for 3 weeks but now I need another half day to get my MOT.

i can’t understand why the DVSA are not working to 28 days ( or 1 month less a day) or is that just too feckin obvs for the DVSA ?

then when the music stops, folk would have 28 days to get sorted, which is how much time that they normally get under the run of things.  So my 28th March ‘expiry’ I had MOT’d on 9th March, early in the ‘window’.  

Still, at least they were quite quick to rattle in with an extension scheme of the current design.

2 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

I thought the same on the ‘7 day rule’ where I am still waiting to see when my 16th April ‘rolls over’ to October.

when the ‘music stops’ there will be some panics on as folk try and get an MOT slot that is available and suitable......er yes boss, I know i’ve been furloughed for 3 weeks but now I need another half day to get my MOT.

i can’t understand why the DVSA are not working to 28 days ( or 1 month less a day) or is that just too feckin obvs for the DVSA ?

then when the music stops, folk would have 28 days to get sorted, which is how much time that they normally get under the run of things.  So my 28th March ‘expiry’ I had MOT’d on 9th March, early in the ‘window’.  

Still, at least they were quite quick to rattle in with an extension scheme of the current design.

I'd say it was also to protect car tax revenue. No MoT = no tax = no tax revenues unless they had dropped the MoT requirement. This is a much tidier way. This way  all cars still have MoT technically if maybe not deserved. 

6 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

I like the 6 months though. Useful.

I am sure there was some VED protection in there.  But that only applies if your MOT runs out just before your VED Renewal.  

If your VED Renewal comes before your MOT, you end up with a ‘Taxed but not MOT’d’ car either parked on the road or at use on the road.  

Anyone who suffers from parking wars curtain twitchers ‘in the know’ would soon be shopping said violator to the authorities “he’s had that car parked in the road without MOT please come and crush it”

I have 'stored' quite a few cars on the road with no MoT - as long as they are taxed seem to be left alone. Except 1 which disappeared and which I think the Council took - but that was in fact taxed and MoT - but I think was a victim of curtain twitchers. No response from the Council's Chief Executive (always write to them) which implies savage guilt. I must wing off another letter at this time of national emergency and give them another nasty poking. 

Just now, lesapandre said:

I like the 6 months though. Useful.

Agree, i’ve not left my ‘private estate’ for 14 days and reckon we can get to 20 days before we are out of essentials.  If we can get a home food delivery (in the next couple of days, struggling with that) we can make that 34 days, the last thing I need is to be going for an MOT on the 16th April for a car parked in the road.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

I think some of the big chain garages are still offering MoTs. Had a few marketing e-mails from Formula one over the last week or so saying the local to me branch is still open providing all the normal services.

If one falls due I would wait for the extension and sit tight and wait for Armageddon to finish. 

That’s what I’m going to do, however the Toyota is due in Middle of June, 6 months makes it middle of December which is the same time as the Suzuki. 

Rather not have 2 falling in the same month if at all possible as it could leave us without an car if both need remedial work I can’t do. I can SORN the Toyota if it needs a lot of work once I’ve given it a once over as not letting wifey and madam drive in a car that’s unsafe.

I am still open but only doing two or three mots a day. Had one yesterday that would have had the extension. Egg in a tyre that was starting to crack so days away from a blow-out. Come October I am seriously thinking of putting the price up to the maximum £54.85. If I haven't gone on holiday for that month that is.

3 hours ago, meggersdog said:

I am still open but only doing two or three mots a day. Had one yesterday that would have had the extension. Egg in a tyre that was starting to crack so days away from a blow-out. Come October I am seriously thinking of putting the price up to the maximum £54.85. If I haven't gone on holiday for that month that is.

Thanks for keeping going. In all this you are the heroes.