Jump to content
gadgetgricey

MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Lovely little van. Yea I think you did the right thing. Your mechanic friend could still look it over to ensure it's roadworthy but not put in for MoT. 

Thanks, its been great.

He did a pre-mot on it earlier this month and said it should pass, with probably an advisory on corrosion on the sills and maybe a tweek to pass the emission test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Old Bloke Next Door said:

My ex Burnside/Punto Paul,  Fiorino, mot expiring on the 23 rd April, was booked in for a test  at 1 pm with a well known national mot testing chain.

Got a call about 12.30 from my tame mechanic informing me that mot's expiring from the 30 th March will be extended by six months. He also advised, that it appeared that if vehicle was tested and failed  the mot, the  extension would not apply. Also told me  there was a strong probability that the chain will cease operation on Friday to safe guard  the staff and customers against possible infection. If that happened he might not have enough time to fix any fails which would mean the van will be off the road for the foreseeable future. He did say he would clarify that depending on an up-date, so I cancelled the test.

Any way, a pic of the Fiat and my recently acquired largish van.

DSC_0075 (4).jpg

Great to see a pic of the Fiorino and hope you and the Van are doing ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

Don't spoil it for me

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
 

I've seen something today that its forv12 months so may be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, martc said:

My motorbike's runs out on the 24th - I had it booked in - cancelled due to the MOT place shutting due to the dreaded lurgy. I have rung around bike MOTers in ever increasing circles and eventually found one 40 miles away that can do it on Friday...

OK you can breathe again - it passed. (I managed to get it tested this afternoon, when it was warmer, than the planned 9am on Friday).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was beginning to despair. Six years to build a successful business with no holidays and working extra hours . This rolling exemption (extension really) meant I could be forced into a six month unpaid holiday. The chancellor has now pledged financial help for the self employed which is a relief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 of my cars have April MOTs due MX5, Sebring, BX and XM.

The MX5, Sebring and BX will only be used a small amount this year when lock down is over and not used into the winter so getting 6 months extension means I won't have to MOT them until next year. XM is being used as a daily so will need to get MOTed later.

3 more for May if it carries on, all summer cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my Cortina also becomes MOT exempt as of 1st April and I was looking forward to using it as an excuse to drag it out of the garage and get it roadworthy. ( I know that seems a weird way of looking at it)

However with things as they are it'll continue its slumber a while longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A trade source tells me the DVSA are ‘back peddling’ a bit and throwing a different interpretation on MOT’s falling due 30th March onwards.

it is now being reported (from within the trade) that MOT’s will be ‘rolled forwards’ 6 months as they become due, on a gradual basis until the DVSA are ‘7 days ahead’.

so, if your MOT is due on the 16th April, you won’t see it Roll forward until the 9th.

then, when BOJO tells us we are back to full MOJO, the roll forward can be stopped.

some unlucky fekker is poss then gonna find themselves will 7 days to get a test slot organised.  Good fekkin luck with that, my local test centre is normally fully book two weeks in advance.  I normally book mine in on the first convenient date (to me) inside the ‘28 day before expiry window’. Then I get a slot that suits me and if i’ve missed something then i’ve Got some time to spare to get it done.

although, I guess when they turn off the rollforwards, MOT stations will perhaps be quieter (if not closed) they could delay the rollforward until BOJO MOJO + 21 which should then restore the 28 day headroom ‘rule’

let you know how it goes cos i’ve got one due on the 16/4 and another on 3/5.  Neither are booked in yet.  

I would have organised the booking for the 16/4 on last Monday after I checked a CV Gaiter that I noted was a bit iffy last year.  Checked it and it doesn’t appear to have deteriorated any more.  

Then ‘lockdown was upon us’ and I took a flyer on ‘roll forward’ to shift my April date back a bit.

  I like June, July, Aug, Sept MOT test dates.  If one needs to be out fixing stuff, much rather in the finer weather.   I’ve had my fill of ‘fixing in the cold and rain or even snow’

now, as for my ‘classic’ MOT and Tax exempt from 1st April,  but will have to wait as Don’t fancy queuing at the PO to get it done.  For some reason you can’t do this on-line.  Not sure why you cant print the forms and send them to Swansea.  It is only the V5C, MOT exempt form and VED application at £0.  Some strange rules the DVSA and DVLA have sometimes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The earliest I have is 4th April 2020. No change to the status thus far on the .Gov website. I have another on the 7th. Will report back when they change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

The earliest I have is 4th April 2020. No change to the status thus far on the .Gov website. I have another on the 7th. Will report back when they change.

Presumably the ‘first pass’ roll forwards will be undertaken sometime on Sunday eve or Monday.  

Write the software, test it, then ‘press the button and clench’ until you find the whole system hasn’t been taken out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Write the software, test it, then ‘press the button and clench’ until you find the whole system hasn’t been taken out

or the MOT equivalent of this happens LOL

image.thumb.png.3095fa952a375fb0c0b3d60437c8be93.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Presumably the ‘first pass’ roll forwards will be undertaken sometime on Sunday eve or Monday.  

Write the software, test it, then ‘press the button and clench’ until you find the whole system hasn’t been taken out

Hopefully this type of extension was written into the original programme - possibly in the event of war or other catastrophic events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gobshites in ROI are still proceeding with testing here, it's been deemed an essential service :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phew. With fortunate timing and a good decision to get it MOT’d well in advance of expiry the 406 V6 passed first time on 10 March. Emissions were a bit tight and might have been game over if it had failed.

20th anniversary of me collecting it when new coming up in two weeks. Now I must disconnect the battery as it’s not going to get used again for weeks, if not months. Any local journeys will be electron-powered in the i3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know whether I'm being selfish here but im considering MOT ing the classic mini. I'm a key worker and travel 112 miles round trip to work. In all this doom and gloom , driving the mini to work would put a smile on my face. But saying that, I feel as though it's not essential im letting the side down for even considering it 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say being a key worker with a long commute in this emergency it would be justified to have a second car roadworthy - you never know when you you need a back-up car - either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, garellikatia said:

I don't know whether I'm being selfish here but im considering MOT ing the classic mini. I'm a key worker and travel 112 miles round trip to work. In all this doom and gloom , driving the mini to work would put a smile on my face. But saying that, I feel as though it's not essential im letting the side down for even considering it 😕

112 miles a day in a Classic mini? The novelty will soon wear off.

Anyway it doesn't need an MOT, get in it, they never* break down.

EDIT, it might need MOT, how classic is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

I'd say being a key worker with a long commute in this emergency it would be justified to have a second car roadworthy - you never know when you you need a back-up car - either one.

Yes true but I do have my wife's car I guess. :/ And use it to collect some essential shopping. I feel like  a bit of fun when doing the simple things inife like shopping or going to work would make a big difference at the minute 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mally said:

112 miles a day in a Classic mini? The novelty will soon wear off.

Anyway it doesn't need an MOT, get in it, they never* break down.

EDIT, it might need MOT, how classic is it?

Possibly so.! It's quite loud! Only 1990 so 10 years until exemption yet I'm affraid :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, balford said:

Gobshites in ROI are still proceeding with testing here, it's been deemed an essential service :rolleyes:

Except the gobshites at the NCTS were told by the RSA less than an hour after you posted that they weren't an essential service...

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Statement-from-the-Minister-of-Transport-Tourism-and-Sport-Shane-Ross-and-the-Road-Safety-Authority-RSA-in-relation-to-the-National-Driver-Licence-Service-NDLS-the-National-Car-Testing-Service-NCT/

(I've got one due the 4th April and they've only just got all the ramps back in action at Naas)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Eddie Honda said:

Except the gobshites at the NCTS were told by the RSA less than an hour after you posted that they weren't an essential service...

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Statement-from-the-Minister-of-Transport-Tourism-and-Sport-Shane-Ross-and-the-Road-Safety-Authority-RSA-in-relation-to-the-National-Driver-Licence-Service-NDLS-the-National-Car-Testing-Service-NCT/

(I've got one due the 4th April and they've only just got all the ramps back in action at Naas)

Indeed. Hands up who didn't trust the Dept of Transport and Fun to do the right thing, though :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My T2 ran out 18th Feb. Not a bother as I wasn't planning on going anywhere in it until May, but it was booked in for test tomorrow and now the test's cancelled & my campsite's cancelled too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...